High Fiber food

Options
ambie35
ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
Help! I seem to constantly be falling very short on my fiber requirements. Until starting mfp I used to assume the breads and pastas I ate would suffice for my fiber but now that I'm tracking and reading labels it turns out most of the breads especially that Im eating are very low in fiber.
Just wondering if anyone could suggest a good high in fiber bread as well as some other good sources of fiber( preferably those low in carbs as I seem to have no problem reaching that mark :P)

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    fruits and veggies have tons of fiber!! Beans (i use kidney beans on my salads all the time) and avocados.. You can take something called Pysillium Husk Powder also.. If I'm running low on fiber by the end of the day I will take some of that mixed up with some crystal light. The kind I use is called Konsyl.

Good luck on the journey =)
  • melcakes
    melcakes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try Fiber Sure. Its clear and can be added to ANYTHING! I put it in yogurt, breads or cookies I bake. It has no taste and will help with you getting the fiber you need!
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know ALL about high fiber foods! They're all I eat!

A GREAT high fiber bread is Nature's Own Whole Wheat Double fiber which is 50 calories per slice and 5 grams of fiber per slice. Another good one is Oroweat Whole Wheat Double Fiber which is 70 calories per slice and has 6 grams of fiber per slice. The Natures Own is lower in carbs though, but not by much. Some other good sources of fiber are brussel sprouts (45 calories for 6 sprouts which is about 3g of fiber), Kelloggs Raisin Bran Crunch Cereal (190 calories for 1 cup, 4 grams of fiber), Kelloggs Fiber plus Antioxidants Chewy Granola Bars (120 calories, 9 grams of fiber), carrots, raisins, green beans, sweet peas, apples are very good sources of fiber, peanut butter. Anything like that :)
  • lesliepcc
    Options
    I love the kashi cereals. They are in excellent source of fiber.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I get more fiber from eating fresh fruits and vegetables than bread. Apples are a great source of fiber, and low in calories too. I get fiber from cereals too -- oatmeal or bran cereals are high in fiber.

I'm not sure what you are aiming for fiber-wise... I have mine set at 25 but from what I have read anything above 20 is good, especially for those of us who are shorter!
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right - try to introduce add flax seeds into your diet - you can add it to anything you eat, oatmeal, eggs, baking, salads - they come in different forms from the whole seed down to ground to a fine powder (which is the one I prefer).
  • ej_xo
    ej_xo Posts: 75
    Options
    ^^^All great suggestions!!!
    Fruit is definitely the lowest carb/cal food you can get for the highest amount of fiber.
    Cabbage and Spinach also work wonders! (But gas can sometimes be an issue - so be aware LOL)

But mainly, just drinking as much water as possible will move things through your system as fast as you can count to 3!
  • ambie35
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. I am aiming at getting more from fruit (but Im so darn picky with fruit at the same time) . Definitely going to invest in some flax,I used to use it ages ago.
    I work in a grocery store,and the last couple of weeks my grocery orders keep getting healthier and healthier,the cashiers have started calling me "the healthy one" LOL.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Oatmeals, flax seeds, whole grains and whole wheats. Look at the nutritional labels it helps a lot when trying to select high fiber foods. Fresh foods are excellent sources apples!! If you are aiming for high fiber then you want the product to contain at least 3 grams of fiber per serving. Also, notice on labels with fiber bars and such just watch the sugar. What you want is most of your whole grains and whole wheats to be listed first. Things that appear first on the label there is the most of in the product. So, if the second ingredient in the item is sugar you might want to think twice about it. Just FYI sorry I kind of got off topic.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    BEANS.....

Beans are good for the heart, the more you eat the more you fart.....
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you like pasta, try the varieties of Barilla Plus Multi-grain. They have added protein in addition to more fiber than white pasta and also more fiber than many other whole wheat varieties I have seen. But it doesn't have that gross grainy taste that whole wheat pasta is famous for, lol.
  • ambie35
    Options
    haha I actually bought that pasta last week when I got my groceries!
  • cblebrun
    cblebrun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the best luck with fruit and oatmeal in the morning. I too wasn't to thrilled about fruit at first, but now I really enjoy it. Fiber one bars are also delicious and curb sweet cravings. I treat them like candy bars. I also second the veggies, brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli. All of these are great natural ways of getting the nutrients and fiber your body needs.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Brownberry has a double fiber bread that has a decent texture and packs around 4 or 5 grams per slice, but it's about 100 calories. Most light wheat breads have alot of fiber too. Also, if the package says "multigrain" it doesn't necissarily mean high fiber for pasta or bread, stick w/ whole wheat (even whole grain may not be that great, just peak at the nutrition facts). Also, Lo carb refrigerated tortilla's (there are a few brands out there) pack a nice 5-9 grams of fiber per tortilla and are usually only about 100 cals and low carb.
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so I can keep track of all the great suggestions!