Scale Conundrum...

Options
I've never owned a scale, I've just gone by how my clothes fit and how I feel. Over the course of the last 10 months, I've weighed myself 4 times. 245, 220, 205 and 185.

However I'm thinking that to actually track my real results and see if I meet my goals, its going to be a necessary evil. Isn't it?

Replies

• BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    A scale gives you more immediate feedback, but it isn't really necessary. About the only downside is if you are the type of person who will worry when the scale swings 3 pounds one way or the other throughout the week.
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    I use my Wii Fit Balance board as a scale. i like that it gives you your BMI :)
  • lkahler
    lkahler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the scale is just one gauge of progress. I weigh weekly (old WW habit) and the scale has hardly moved in 10 weeks of good eating and being back on the exercise wagon.

another valuable tool is a tape measure. I measure various areas once every 4 weeks. Even though the scale has barely budged, I've lost inches and can visually tell that i'm firming up all over.

Clothes and the mirror are the two best tools. You have to like how your close fit and like what you see in the mirror. Although the mirror also tends to make us see flaws that others probably don't see on us! LOL
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Trust me you are better off without one! I am on mine sometimes 4 times a day! I am trying to break that habit! It can be evil! I sometimes dream of throwing mine out the window!
  • PJinco
    PJinco Posts: 1
    Options
    New on the site, but my two cents are that the scale frustrates more than it helps... Trust your clothes and a tape measure to show your results. Have a great day! :o)
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and I did weigh 158.4, I am now down to 147.4, MFP told me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. Once I entered my new weight this morning and I had passed the 10lb weight loss mark the program wanted to reavaluate my calorie intake. I told it to wait another ten lbs. So I am also wondering if I should have done the reavaluation or left it. Either way I guess is what I am saying is that MFP will change things for you as you lose. I think it might be important to put your numbers in so that MFP can be as acurate as it can be.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Im the type of person that weighs daily <gasp> I know, I know. But for myself that is what I need to do to stay focused. I think is it more of a personal question, I would recommend a measuring tape though!
  • jennifer2316
    Options
    It will definitely help you track your results, but just because you have a scale doesn't mean you need to use it every day. Why not once a week? You should weigh yourself at the same time of day each time you do step on, though.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I do not think so because the scale does not give an accurate picture. I have added weights to my workout and my scale say "hey fatty you weigh more!!" While my clothing size is going down! LOL I battle with it too so I do understand where you are coming from but the scale doesn't really give the full story. Good luck! :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink:
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Like ppl have said it gives you a good idea of how you're doing & it will change your calories depending on how much you weigh at the time, but it can also be a disappointment when done all the time, I'd say only weigh in once a week or every other.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I am 5'5" and I did weigh 158.4, I am now down to 147.4, MFP told me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. Once I entered my new weight this morning and I had passed the 10lb weight loss mark the program wanted to reavaluate my calorie intake. I told it to wait another ten lbs. So I am also wondering if I should have done the reavaluation or left it. Either way I guess is what I am saying is that MFP will change things for you as you lose. I think it might be important to put your numbers in so that MFP can be as acurate as it can be.

You're already on the absolute minimum MFP will give you, anyway, so it wouldn't have changed (unless you selected a less aggressive loss/week goal)
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    I think it's good to have a scale if you can not be obsessive about it. I didn't have one for a long time, and had no idea how much I weighed. When I finally got one, I was shocked at how much I weighed. It really helped to spur me on to lose weight. I weigh myself every couple of days, before a shower, but I only log it once a week, and try to weigh at the same time every week. There's no point in watching every tiny pound or part of a pound going on by day's end.

If you go to a gym, or have access to a scale on a regular or semi-regular basis, I wouldn't bother buying one. Buy a tape measure instead and keep track of that.