Toning vs. Cardio

Options
Hi MFP Friends!
I am told that it is equally as important to weight train as it is to do cardio. However, I feel that I am wasting my time lifting weights/working the machines when I could be burning more calories doing cardio. Please note that I do want to tone but my desire to loose weight is greater. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You must weight train to build and maintain muscle, muscle burns more calories when you are not working out just by existing, the greater your muscle mass the higher your metabolism.

Besides which, you'd be surprised how many calories you can burn in a good full-body strength training session.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel as though you are burning calories doing the machines at the gym, then I would recommend doing strength training within workout DVDs.

I'm a huge Jillian Michaels fan. I hate lifting weights at the gym.. just not for me. I find it super boring. I like Jillian Michaels DVDs because she incorporates cardio with strength training.

30 Day Shred -- 3 levels, circuit training, 25 minutes for each level. Really good on days you don't have a lot of time
    No More Trouble Zones -- 45 min workout, strength training and some ab work.

These two are really good.. I also like Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, but that is more cardio. Still a good one though on days you don't or can't make it to the gym.

Good luck!
  • EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I found when I started incorporating weights my body got leaner much quicker and a lot firmer. I am hooked on cardio too though so know what you mean :smile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Go ahead. You do what you want. People are only here to make suggestions based on their own opinions, not make life decisions for others. That said, the only reason why strength training is recommended is because pure cardio will also burn muscle, along with fat, for weight loss. It will leave you weaker and a little more emaciated and scrawny. If that's your intended goal, then by all means continue to do just cardio.
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    To go along with asteroidvsmars, The Firm has a new series called "The Firm Express" that would give you strength training and cardio together also. http://www.firmdirect.com/firm/ecs/main/firm-express-get-thin-in-30.html
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true that cardio will burn more cals than weight lifting. Also true that burning more cals = faster weight loss. However, lifting weights gives you better long term benefit, which will later burn more cals. :wink:
    Weight training - increasing your muscle mass, which in turn, burns more calories - muscle burns more calories than fat, even while resting.
    Cardio - burns calories...
    So weight training is good longer term - once you build up the muscle mass, but cardio will technically burn more while you are actually working out. Best solution? Couple some of your shorter cardio days with a short weight lifting circuit!
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback!!
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do want to also mention that lifting weights has a hormonal effect too. Lifting influences your insulin sensitivity. Becoming more insulin resistance will effect how much fat we burn. Insulin resistant = less fat burning. Insulin sensitive = more fat burning. Lifting will help make sure your tissues are sensitive to insulin. This is a highly simplified version, but I think you can get the idea.
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    At my thinnest ever I was 121 pounds. Right now I am 133. I am more "compact" now. At my lowest weight I did nothing but cardio and some light weights. I now do cardio and heavy weights. I wear a size 4 now and was never smaller than a 7 in juniors before. Better to be lean and firm than skinny/fat.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...at my thinnest I was 100 pounds and in a size 0 or 1...now I am 108 pounds and in a size 0 or 1 (all the same clothes!) and look so much better, no cellulite, shapely arms and legs, ripped core. Got news for you, intense weight lifting burns (and keeps burning after the fact) way more calories than cardio! Lift those weights!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that when you are lifting weights, you really need to make sure you are pushing yourself hard enough. You should be doing enough weight so that the last 2 or 3 reps in your set burn and are hard to complete. Doing reps of 20 of a light weight will get you nowhere!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP Friends!
    I am told that it is equally as important to weight train as it is to do cardio. However, I feel that I am wasting my time lifting weights/working the machines when I could be burning more calories doing cardio. Please note that I do want to tone but my desire to loose weight is greater. What are your thoughts?

So what do you think you will see once some fat is gone when you haven't weight trained...

Correct - a slightly less fat version of the old you with just as little "tone".

If skinny fat is the look you want, carry on doing what you're doing.

If you want tone, start lifting.
  • aplozano
    aplozano Posts: 10
    Options
    What is the thought on isometric exercises. Through out the day. I work in an office and pretty much am sitting at my desk, so i will suck in the stomach for a count of 60 count or more and so on with arms, legs. I still do my thirty minute work out every morning, 15 minute light weight training and 15 minute cardio, (treadmill )