Zumba

Options
Just wondering if any MFP user has success story with Zumba. It seems like this is the only thing i enjoy doing exercisewise. I try to do one hour of Zumba class three times a week.

Any suggestions to maximize calorie burning in a Zumba class?

Replies

• missrugby
    missrugby Posts: 31
    Options
    I have actually never done this before, but it looks like so much fun. It looks like the only thing I would enjoy doing as well. I am anxious to see responses from others who do Zumba.
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor? I go to Zumba 4 times a week and now that I've started with MFP, it's really started to make an impact. I burn between 600 and 700 calories each class, work up a great sweat and that's pushing my hardest. Make all your movements as big as possible, get your feet off the floor as much as possible and just really work it, don't worry what you look like ;) And when you get tired, just take a deep breath and push through it.
  • lreiland
    lreiland Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba- it's the only workout that I have actually ENJOYED and I tend to burn about 500 calories or so. I have noticed results from using MFP and going to a Zumba class twice a week.
  • abigailmagoo23
    Options
    The better you know the moves to the songs the better burn you will get..... if there is any time in between songs keep moving to not let your heart rate drop..... Concentrate on the muscles you are using for each move to make sure you are pushing to the max.... when I walk out of Zumba class i could ring my shirt out (I know its gross...but true!) Happy Zumba-ing! =]
  • Blyton
    Blyton Posts: 5
    Options
    missrugby, Zumba is really fun. Earlier I would go to the gym and start getting bored 5 mins into running on a treadmill. Now i go to the Zumba class and next thing i know, it's already 45 mins into the class. You should definitely try it.

melischemitz, I don't have an HRM but thinking of getting one since I see so many posts about it. 600 -700 calories is awesome. and thank you for your suggestion about pushing my hardest. the first few days i focused more on keeping up with my instructor but since i know the routine by heart now i try to do my best.

Thank you both,
    Blyton
  • 0mega60
    0mega60 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    zumba is great...tryed it once in florida....only guy in the class....did not make it thru the complete class.....yikes

""***Energy and persistence conquer all things**.......***Ενέργεια και επιμονή κατακτήσει όλα τα πράγματα*** "
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I have done Zumba on the Wii and loved it and yes it has helped me with my weight loss
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    I love Zumba. It's the only thing that really motivates me to get to the gym. I've lost 17 pounds with zumba alone.
    if i could get my diet in check, i'd be golden.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I started taking Zumba once a week last May and then increased it to twice a week in January. It BY FAR is the funnest, best calorie burn I have done. It is a great workout and I feel has helped me definitely get to where I am today!
  • Blyton
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I love Zumba!!! If you really get into the moves and push yourself you should easily burn 600 calories in the hour. If you have time try to add some light weight lifting in before or after class, that should help.
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    I don't myself, but my wife is a Zumba instructor (on her way out the door for a class as I write this - her 3rd of the day). The reply about making your motions larger is a good one. You could also consider using some light handweights, though that will slow you down a little on the faster songs with any arm movements. My wife's problem now though is that she does it so much (7-8 classes a week plus always developing new songs/moves) that she doesnt have time or energy left for anything else and her body is used to it so she's at a plateau in her own fitness goals. So enjoy your Zumba but still mix things up too.
  • MissKaybug
    Options
    I most def love zumba! I do it 2-3 times a week,and wow what a burn! And it is so fun, before you know it, your time is up!! Am up to 25 lbs. GONE with zumba and mfp! Love, love, love it!!!!!!!!
  • Blyton
    Options
    Just got out of my Zumba class. I used you all's suggestions and did large movements. In short, I worked my butt off. I had never sweated so much!!!! It was awesome.... I am thinking of getting some hand weights later to mix it up a bit.

Thank you all,
    Blyton