Elliptical and numbness in the toes?

Options
Hey guys!
I quite enjoy working out on the elliptical, but after 10 minutes or so, my toes start to go numb.

I'm assuming my feet aren't postured properly... but I completely forgot to ask my PT about it today and I thought maybe someone out here may know what's up!

Any ideas how I can prevent numb-toes!?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    loosen your sneaker laces. that helped mine a lot.
  • oshmom
    oshmom Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I get that too...I just changed from wearing running shoes to a crosstrainer shoe. It helped, as running shoes propel your foot forward. I also wear SuperFeet in my shoes for support.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    lift your feet a little more on the upswing, I get this on the bottoms of my feet, your feet never lose contact with the pads so they tend to get numb from not moving sometimes.
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    I wear Shape Ups when I do it. I was having the same problem wearing just normal tennis shoes, but as soon as I wore my Shape Ups it was alright. You wouldn't think it, since you are even *more* on your toes, but it definately worked for me.
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I used to have the same problem, and still do on occasion. However, in the manual for our elliptical (one of the few times in my life I've read an instruction manual from front to back), it said that can be casued by not enough foot support (I think that's what it said) but basically, from running on your toes. Ours has adjustable foot platforms, and once I adjusted the back of them up (at more of a downhill angle when standing on them) that helped considerably. It gave me more of a "natural" stride, I put my weight on my heels more while exercising. Even now, I have to pay attention at times and focus to make myself stride the right way.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • iamarramsey
    Options
    That happens to me all the time. I've tried to wear flip flops while doing it. It helps but after 40 minutes on the elliptical my toes are still numb.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I too get this after about 30 minutes. I know my laces are too tight sometimes. and if i losen them it is fine. I am also thinking about switching shoes here soon. Its annoying hu!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing! I've tried loosening shoes, changing thype of shoes, I always end up with numb toes once I hit the 25 minute mark. I just keep wiggling them in the shoes as I run. Haven't tried any inserts yet though... Curious to see what people say.......
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It also has to do with the size of your shoe, I think. I have two pairs of running shoes and I made the mistake of buying one pair a half size smaller than I should. My feet don't go to sleep in the larger ones but do in the smaller ones.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I get that every time too and not even my Dr. has been able to figure out how to stop it. I tried loosening my laces, going back on my heels more and stretching before hand but nothing works. I'm gonna try the new shoe idea though because I have running shoes currently.
  • akmieciak
    akmieciak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad this was asked! I have the same problem - but only the 2 little toes on my right foot tingle and start going numb around 30 minutes into my elliptical workout. I've tried loosening my laces, but the prblem continues. I do wear running shoes on the elliptical, so I will definitely try wearing my Shape Ups on the elliptical tonight! Thanks again!
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    Had that once too while cycling on a roadbike with appropriate cycling shoes.
    I loosened the shoes binding, but that was unsecure, because my foot wasn't fastened enough.

So I sold the shoes and bought new ones...hoping that the problem with numbness will disappear.

result: still numb toes...so I begann to think creatively.
    I found out that a seam of my cycling shorts was pressing onto my leg in the region of my loins.

I changed the shorts and all problems were gone.

Long story short:
    The first thing to look at is the tightness of your shoes.
    If you can loosen them a little bit, without feeling insecure on the training device and it doesn't help start looking at other possible factors, like "compressing cloths", itching underware, a too tight hear rate meter around your chest and so on.

:smile:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Had that once too while cycling on a roadbike with appropriate cycling shoes.
    I loosened the shoes binding, but that was unsecure, because my foot wasn't fastened enough.

So I sold the shoes and bought new ones...hoping that the problem with numbness will disappear.

result: still numb toes...so I begann to think creatively.
    I found out that a seam of my cycling shorts was pressing onto my leg in the region of my loins.

I changed the shorts and all problems were gone.

Long story short:
    The first thing to look at is the tightness of your shoes.
    If you can loosen them a little bit, without feeling insecure on the training device and it doesn't help start looking at other possible factors, like "compressing cloths", itching underware, a too tight hear rate meter around your chest and so on.

:smile:

This is smart! I would have never thought about that.
  • akmieciak
    akmieciak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update...

I tried wearing my Shape Ups last night on the elliptical instead of my running shoes - MUCH BETTER! My toes on my right foot didn't fall asleep at all! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • sharper43
    Options
    I have this same exact issue. It's not the laces or how tight your shoes are. I've even done the elliptical barefoot..yes, i did....still the same thing. Also wore very loose clothing and no panties. It starts in the toes and spreads through your feet. Before you know it, you can't feel if you are stepping down or not.

I went to the doctor about this and found out that it's a circulation issue and it's very common. I have the same problem with stationary bikes and stair masters.

Basically, I can do the elliptical for maybe 15 minutes, then I have to get off and switch to the treadmill.
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Loosen your shoes a bit and see if it helps. I actually went up a half size in my shoes for my cardio work outs and it helped as well!
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on my shoes. Most of the time I wear nike flip flops (celso thong) on my elliptical and my feet/toes don't get tingly or numb. An added benefit is that I can rinse them off afterwards if they get gross, and that my feet don't sweat. Other shoes sometimes work for me but others I get numb within minutes. I think for me it has to do with how flexible my foot is when I'm on the elliptical. I bend my foot a lot more in flip flops and less in running shoes. My shoes are more restrictive (as far as blood flow goes) too.
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I get that every time too and not even my Dr. has been able to figure out how to stop it. I tried loosening my laces, going back on my heels more and stretching before hand but nothing works. I'm gonna try the new shoe idea though because I have running shoes currently.

Glad to help!
  • ladypurgatori
    ladypurgatori Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This happens to me also, what I do is I lift up my foot a little on the upswing when the pressure is on the other foot. It helps with the numbness and also when my legs are feeling sore. I never thought of wearing the shape ups.. I will have to try that!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    When I started the elliptical, I started WITH new shoes. I thought it was the new shoes causing the issue. NOPE!!!!

I don't know where the article is...it's posted somewhere on the boards.

If your toes are going numb, you're not using the right posture on the ellip! Lean back a little...kind of like you're just on the verge of sitting in a chair. Don't completely bend your knees now! It's so you put MOST of your weight on your HEELS. Doing this, you WILL feel it in your thighs!!!
    Just after a couple weeks of doing this trick, my thighs have muscles I never knew existed!!

I don't have numbness anymore. :)