What Is Clean & Healthy

Options
Okay, so I am reading a lot about "clean" eating. What is "clean" eating? I know that I am doing way better with my food choices and I feel really good, but I don't know for sure. I am trying to change years of habbits. I had G-bypass a little over 8 years ago and did really well, but gained back 38 pounds, I have lost 7 or so of those 38 but it is due to changing the foods I choose to eat and exercise. It's not easy. I don't want to get in a slump and not make a successful lifestyle change. Here are things that I am eating.

Breakfast: two slices of 100% whole wheat bread with 2 slices of turkey bacon and 1 slice of cheddar cheese or whole oats with 1 tbsp of butter and cinnamon (not sugar).

Snack: apple or an adkins day break bar

Lunch: two slices of 100% whole wheat bread with 2 tbsp of peanutbutter or maybe a salad with spinach, cucumber, chicken and low cal dressing.

Snack: apple or adkins day break bar or kellogs protien snack.

Dinner: usually a meat portioned correctly and green beans sometimes a starch, usually fresh cooking.

Snack: Edy's whole fruit bar (coconut)

I usually stay right at 1670 or less in calories and I work out on my elliptical everyday.

any suggestions, I am open! thanks!

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Clean eatin means keeping down on the additives and preservatives. Some people consider it to only be clean if it's completely organic... basically, just try to take out the processed fake food and you should be fine
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is this... If it goes bad quickly its good for you, if it goes bad slowly its bad for you....

You don't want processed foods with additives or anything like that.

Also, the less ingredients on the label the better for you, the more natural.

And a key to shopping is to stay as much as you can away from the center isles, shop the outter isles. this is your grains, protein, diary, veggies. etc.
  • Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert by any means, but I believe that clean eating is eating as many non-processed foods as possible. Eating food that are whole foods, not put together by some machine. In order to do this, a lot of food needs to be prepared at home-do you like to cook? :) I try, as much as I can, to cook as many meals as I can, but we are only human-so I do eat some processed food, but I always look at the labels for hidden ingredients.

Hope that helps!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks great definition!! I wondered the same thing
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your info from? Is it from Tosca Rena's books?

I think you are doing good. Just watch for the ingredients in anything you buy from the store thats in a box or can or made from anyone else actually. The concept is to have it as natural as possible. I tried it and I couldn't do it 100% but it gave me some really good information and I did change a lot of my choices by learning about it.

Good luck.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Looking at your typical day- I would say cut out the bars (Atkins, etc) to get "cleaner". Aim for more fresh fruits and veggies, and add in some nuts. Aside from that, you look good! Are you drinking lots of water?

Processed food gets us in many ways. Sodium can make you retain water, preservatives can influence hormones and wreck your metabolism, just to name a few.

Keep at it, you can do this! :)
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water?

Yes I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I have been eating the Atkins bars to help the protien intake, being a Gbypass patient I need a lot of protien. Nuts are hard for me to digest. Any ideas on that, I am eating peanutbutter but think I should go to a natural one. I tried Almond butter....didn't like it that much.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Yes I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I have been eating the Atkins bars to help the protien intake, being a Gbypass patient I need a lot of protien. Nuts are hard for me to digest. Any ideas on that, I am eating peanutbutter but think I should go to a natural one. I tried Almond butter....didn't like it that much.

Smuckers makes a natural peanut butter, but it takes a while to get used to the taste. Skippy makes one as well, but it does still have a lot of additives (a good compromise between regular and completely natural).
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Looking at your typical day- I would say cut out the bars (Atkins, etc) to get "cleaner". Aim for more fresh fruits and veggies, and add in some nuts. Aside from that, you look good! Are you drinking lots of water?

Processed food gets us in many ways. Sodium can make you retain water, preservatives can influence hormones and wreck your metabolism, just to name a few.

Keep at it, you can do this! :)

What is here.... plus, clean eating is eating no preservatives, additives, colors, dyes, artificial sweeteners, trans fats, refined breads, pastas, rice, sugars, stuff like that, as close to all natural (really all natural just bec/ it says it is not make it so, you really have to get good at reading labels. Also watch out for salad dressings a lot of "All Natural" ones are loaded with sugar. I use organic olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar mixed with herbs and fresh garlic.
  • kimmerroze
    Options

For protein, chocolate milk is a good one. I also like protein shakes, I do Organic peanutbutter, one tablespoon cocoa with some vanilla for sweetening 1 cup of milk and a banana... pretty natural and high in protein. You can also do protein shakes, these may be better than bars. But personally I LOVE my protein bars. as long as the majority of your diet is natural and "clean" I wouldn't worry too much about your bars. Your choices look pretty good to me.
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    Actually I love the Smucker's one....so that one is better than the others. I will change to that then. It is really good.
  • princesschikee
    Options
    I posted this earlier today.

Eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it."

A person that eats clean generally practices the following:

Eliminates refined sugar
    Cooks healthy meals
    Packs healthy meals
    Makes healthy choices when dining out
    Drinks a lot of water
    Eats 5-6 small meals per day
    Eliminates alcoholic beverages (or significantly limits it)
    Always eats breakfast
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    For protein, chocolate milk is a good one. I also like protein shakes, I do Organic peanutbutter, one tablespoon cocoa with some vanilla for sweetening 1 cup of milk and a banana... pretty natural and high in protein. You can also do protein shakes, these may be better than bars. But personally I LOVE my protein bars. as long as the majority of your diet is natural and "clean" I wouldn't worry too much about your bars. Your choices look pretty good to me.
    [/quote]

I don't do milk well so shakes are hard for me, but I have tried them. I like the bars too.
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    I posted this earlier today.

Eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it."

A person that eats clean generally practices the following:

Eliminates refined sugar
    Cooks healthy meals
    Packs healthy meals
    Makes healthy choices when dining out
    Drinks a lot of water
    Eats 5-6 small meals per day
    Eliminates alcoholic beverages (or significantly limits it)
    Always eats breakfast

okay, I cook just about everyday. When dining out I do now look hard at what the choices are and choose a lot better then I use to. I drink a fair amount of water, at least my 8 glases, but sometimes still crave a diet pepsi. I do try to eat 6 times a day and streach my calories out. I always eat breakfast and have had a hard time giving up my one cup of coffee, but did change to a sugar free creamer, tried black, but didn't go so well. I really don't drink.
  • kimmerroze
    Options

I don't do milk well so shakes are hard for me, but I have tried them. I like the bars too.
    [/quote]

Do you not do milk because milk is hard on your stomach? if so have you ever tried soy milk? or does that have the same effect?
  • kimmerroze
    Options

[/quote]

Do you not do milk because milk is hard on your stomach? if so have you ever tried soy milk? or does that have the same effect?
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options

Yes Milk is very hard on my stomach, gives me gas and potty issues. I have not tried soy milk or Almond milk. I tried rice milk and all i can say is yulk. If I try soy or almond is there a "brand" I should try?
  • kimmerroze
    Options

Yes Milk is very hard on my stomach, gives me gas and potty issues. I have not tried soy milk or Almond milk. I tried rice milk and all i can say is yulk. If I try soy or almond is there a "brand" I should try?

Soy milk is good... now it doesn't taste like regular milk so dont expect it... It is thicker somewhere between the thickness of milk and eggnog. and it is sweeter... I think it kinda tastes like honey nut cherrios.. but noone agrees with me... I cant remember the brand of the one I get but they all taste similar.. Definately give it a try. It is higher in protein. which is a plus for you. and it tastes good. its also REALLY REALLY easy on your stomach and digestive tract. Just remember it is different.
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    Okay great, I will give that a shot, at least try it with my whole grain cheerio's first. Then maybe try it as my coffee creamer for my one cup.

I don't know if I will ever be a full on "clean" eater, but I sure can be a better eater.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Okay great, I will give that a shot, at least try it with my whole grain cheerio's first. Then maybe try it as my coffee creamer for my one cup.

I don't know if I will ever be a full on "clean" eater, but I sure can be a better eater.

it takes super good dedication to be a complete clean eater... pretty near impossible.

And yeah give it a try... the chocolate version of it is my favorite. It is sooo creamy.. and I think you are smart. try it in things first. before drinking a whole glass by itself.