All talk and no action

Options
robsgal
robsgal Posts: 50 Member
So I keep saying I'm going to re-start...still trying to re-start. It's March now and my Birthday is coming up so what better time. The guests just left and Spring is here...now I just need to not snack while I'm stuck at home with sick kids and no gym (can't take sick kids to the gym). Already snacked on brownies I made today...the brownies were not for our family, they were for somethign I volunteered for but of course I had to make sure they tasted good.

So what is working for most people? Monitorning the carbs is what worked before I got pregnant...not low carb, just more whole grains and no sugars or white bread, white pasta etc...not sure if that will work now. Wish I had a menu prepared for me with easy foods that I already eat included. I need it to be easy with a 1 & 3 year old at home.

So anyhow here are my stats...I'm 38 and I weigh 172 lbs and I'm about 5' 7 1/2" Usually exercise is easy...eating is easy too (hee hee, but making the right choices and portion control is not.

Hopefully my husband will watch the girls tonight so I can go to the gym, I hate working out at night but I'll still have sick kids tomorrow. I'm a morning fitness class person but am embarassed that I'm a regular there who does not loose weight or look in shape. Just got a catalog of cute fitness outfits with fit women in it and I want to be one of them...not skinny models but fit healthy realistic people...I used to be one of them but never skinny.

Replies

• thomasvision
    thomasvision Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in not waiting to start just starting and counting calories. I believe in trying to eat all natural foods and staying away from processed foods as much as possible. I also try not to eat late. Working out at least 4 days a week (I do 6 - 7 days). Oh and P90X.It changed my life! You can buy it on ebay or craigslist at a good price. Good luck in your fitness journey.
  • lnoso
    lnoso Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Robsgal, I completely identify with the multiple restarts. My doctor told me once that those who keep at it - starting over and over - are most likely to be successful. Obviously quitting doesn't get us anywhere. You remind me a bit of myself when younger and holding 2 baby girls. At the time i weighed about the same though that fluctuated up and down. The fact that you are making the effort now is excellent. I corralled the weight and exercised up to my 40's and then job changes, home changes, health changes and not continuing to monitor and restart until - voila 59 and 278 in 2004. Who is that person in the mirror? I've been whittling at it since then and am now 63 and 238 (very slow whittling). Recently found some good guidance and renewed motivation along with this site and feel much more optimistic that over this next year I might finally find my bones again (I'm sure they are in there somewhere). I'm now working and chasing after grandbabies (2 and 5). Starting to see the cummulative effects of poor diet and nutrition on older friends and family, which probably contributes to feeling more motivated. Afraid I'm pretty short on advice, but your post resonated with me and I want to encourage you to continue to try to get a handle on weight and fitness. It definitely doesn't get easier with age. Best of luck.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You may not have taken action before, but you are now. Don't worry about what you haven't done, just do each day the best you can. That's what I'm trying to do. I know I should have started years ago. Or, better yet, never stopped when I was taking good care of myself and working out. I looked good and felt great. Now I have to start all over. But, that's ok. I can and I will. So will you. Each day. One at a time. Every snack that you don't eat counts. Every time you walk across the parking lot instead of parking near the door. Each healthier food you eat instead of the standbys that you normally turn to. I believe that if we concentrate on the little steps, we'll get where we want to be.

I had great success with the lower carb diet, too. I'm trying the calorie counting this time and I hope it works. Every one is different and we all have to find out what works for us. If the calorie counting doesn't do it for me, then I'll change trains and pay more attention to carbs again. What ever it takes, I will get my body back.