Unless you puke, faint or die..keep going!!! Jillian said th

Options
and boy do I feel it. Been working out since early November and just recently started my true "training" for my first half marathon in June for my 40th. Alright, besides being super sore, the running is hard for me. Last night, did a 5K as part of my train, and it took me 53 min. to just finish it by walking and running as I felt necessary. Tonight i have to do 2 miles, which sounds better than 3 :) I stretch after warming up for about 1 lap, then hit the rest of the laps without stopping (save that drink of water i need) I wonder why though, I am not seeing weight loss as fast as I would like. I don't eat my exercise calories, so I have the defecit I need. I tried upping my water intake today, and see how that goes. Not sure why I am posting this, maybe I need some encouragement? Not sure, thought I would share where I am at :):tongue:

Replies

• Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Makes me think back to football practices and two-a-days... there would always be a line of guys off to the side chuckin. lol... Good luck on the marathon!!
  • shunke
    shunke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey, good job on setting your goal for your 40th, that's awesome. As for weight loss, building muscle has always helped me shed the pounds and keep them off. I can burn through those calories much more easily when I am muscular from weight activities. I mostly lift my body weight, like pushups, lunges, squats, and crazy bootcamp type drills, but to challenge the muscles and keep it fresh I add traditional weights once in a while. Keep up the great work!!
  • kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    We never lose weight as fast as we would like! :laugh:

Maybe your body has gone into "starvation/famine" mode - seeing as you say you are not eating your exercise calories.

Good luck!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sorry you get advice, you asked. You should not shoot for a half unless you plan to walk most of it. If you push to hard to build to a run for the half you have a high risk of getting hurt and in the end not doing yourself any favors.

There is lots of information on how to train here and other running sites. When I started I worked my way up to a run walk with 5 minute walk 1 jog and increased the jog by no more that 10% a week. If you do it this way you stand more of a chance of becoming a runner and actually enjoying your runs.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    two-a-days!!! HATED this haha
  • syvannarain
    Options
    I know it may sound crazy but it takes food to burn fat as well. If you are building muscle it takes cals to build and it also need cals to burn fat so if you add a few snacks you might start to see the results you wat. If you are not eating enough to sustain your workouts then your body will store everything thinking it is starving. I wish you all the best and good luck!!!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat any of your exercise calories...maybe that is why you are not losing as fast? I know I have heard a ton about under-eating making your body hold on to the fat.

Personally, I eat at least half of them. MFP calculates your deficit anyway for the 1-2 lb per week loss.

Good Luck on your journey!! I have great respect for those that can run...I just cannot do it! LOL
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love that quote.
    Shunke, you're awesome and I agree.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Great job on the training! I set my mind on losing 40 pounds by my 40th birthday, so now I'm feeling a bit weak about mine, lol! I am working on 10K training for a race in the fall, so I know a bit of your situation. Keep it up and if you have to puke, maybe the words of my high school football coach might help: Don't get it on the track and then get back to running once you get that off your stomach!
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @1111renee: Good job on beginning a running program! It's always hard at first. Keep going and don't get discouraged. It's normal to be sore -- shin splints are a common among newbie runners as is overall muscle soreness. Be kind to yourself -- slowly stretch afterward ( use a foam roller to get out knots) and perhaps also do yoga once or twice a week.

Btw, I'm sending you a friend request.
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am mainly sore from strength training (weighted squats) on Monday.............so the run last night made it worse :( Today I guess I just need to finish my 2 miles as best I can :) will post later to update :)
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    you will lose faster if you eat your exercise calories. do what MFP tells you to do. it will work better than what you think you need to do.