Protein

Options
Okay, so everyday, even when I'm under my goal calorie intake, I'm over in my protein intake. Is it bad to have too much protein? I understand why too much fat and carbs could be bad. I'm just not sure about the protein thing?!

Replies

• loveshannonmarie
    loveshannonmarie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my protein but it is good because it helps get lean muscle..and muscle burns fat :)
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Try cutting down on animal products and eating a more plant based diet.
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm over every day, too........... shouldn't be a problem.

I have read that you can be at 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight and still be fine.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert by I've been researching this, and tinkering with my own marcro nutrient balance. First, if you don't have a scale that gives you % body fat, I suggest you get one. I noticed while I was losing weight, some of it was lean body mass rather than fat. So I've had to increase the protean in my diet as well as make adjustments to my work out routine to maintain my lean body mass. The problem is it is tough to eat enough protean and avoid animal fats and calories. My solution is chicken, fish (lots of fish), egg whites (omega-3 eggs) and whey protean powder, these provide plenty or protein while keeping the bad fats low.

I've read you can safely eat more protein before damaging your internal organs. People with kidney problems should not each much protein. The more common problem for increasing protein is the animal fats associated with animal based protein, and the amount of calories in protein relative to veggies.

I've changed my macro nutrition targets to:

30% of cals from Protean
    25% Fat
    45% Carbs

This mix and changing how I work out has stopped my loss of lean mass.

BTW - I agree with RoniDoll, if you are not worried about loss of lean mass, and just want to eat less protein, eat more non-starchy veggies. I've found aspragass (sp?) and red/yellow peppers to be excellent replacements in terms of replacing food volumn, plus they are nutrient dense with almost no calories.