Protein Powder

Options
jdavis193
jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
What is a tasty but cheap protein powder? How many use this and lost inches not trying to lose lbs just inches. I do weight training and cardio.

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    "you get what you pay for"
  • inkdgirl
    inkdgirl Posts: 79
    Options
    Weider Fruit Splash is cheap.. I add a packet of crystal lite to it and 24 oz water and ice, shake it and go....

I know the crystal lite is not a clean food,( i try to eat as clean as i can) but i try to mix up the flavour of the powder

I am not a big fan of milky type shakes, so this one is refreshing
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you're not doing strength training or cardio, a protein powder isn't going to benefit you much. I'm curious how you intend to lose inches but not pounds without exercising.
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    I just started with the Jillian Michaels triple chocolate whey powder. It's $10 at Walmart for a 14 oz. container! I would also like to know which ones that are recommended by others. I'm new to it too!
  • theidarisafa
    Options
    Well, protein can make you feel fuller longer.

And it can also help with a tough workout, because you'd use it for recovery.

There are many types of protein powders.

But the main two that you'll probably be using are Whey and whey protein isolate. I take Whey protein isolate. It's the purest form of the protein.

If you're not used to "diet" food, you'll have a hard time stomaching the protein drinks. Most of them mix up with a spoon or you can mix them with your favorite beverage. Some are chocolate flavored, most are pretty vanilla.

Kinda tasts like weak vanilla ice cream to me. Some have artificial sweeteners, so some may have an aftertaste.

My trainer told me that most people can NOT absorb more than 30-35grams of protein at a time. And that you usually need to wait at least 3 hours before taking in additional protein.

Sometimes if you take in too much protein in a short amount of time, you get gas and cramps. Some protein powders recommend two scoops to get you at 50grams, but again, your body probably is going to have a hard time absorbing that much.

which means wasted money and gas(not the good kind)
  • carl1738
    Options
    On the chance that I may have misunderstood what you said about the strength training and cardio, Walmart sells Body Fortress protein at a very reasonable price. It mixes well, and tastes good. Cookies 'n Cream is my favourite at the moment.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    Sorry I meant to say I do weights and cardio.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Best bang for your buck and also great quality is Muscle Milk powder from Cosco....$31 for a 6lb. bag! I have been an avid weightlifter for 15 years and have tried every single jug of that stuff out there. So far this is one of my favorites. Can't beat that price for that much protein powder and it tastes and mixes the best of all I've tried.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk has a bad after taste.
    Body Fortress has creatine in it, so you would want to be careful with water retention.
    BSN Syntha-6 is great tasting and has 21 grams protein per scoop.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Best bang for your buck and also great quality is Muscle Milk powder from Cosco....$31 for a 6lb. bag! I have been an avid weightlifter for 15 years and have tried every single jug of that stuff out there. So far this is one of my favorites. Can't beat that price for that much protein powder and it tastes and mixes the best of all I've tried.

if you're trying to keep your calories low then Muscle Milk is probably not the best choice because of the higher carb and fat content. myofusion by gaspari nutrition is a great tasting/reasonably priced protein powder.
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There are many types of protein powders.

But the main two that you'll probably be using are Whey and whey protein isolate. I take Whey protein isolate. It's the purest form of the protein.

Actually, whey protein is the least beneficial of all of them and the most impure. That's why its cheap and Jillian and other celebs on the packaging. Like someone said above, 'you get what you pay for'. Its no wonder you can get a 5 lb jug for $20. Whey is the 'high fructose corn syrup' of proteins. Its also one of the least bioavailable of the proteins. The best proteins you can find WILL NOT have the word "isolate" or some variation of "iso" in the ingredient list. There aren't many of them though. The most bioavailable protein is HEMP and it is a 'complete' protein. Its not a isolated powder--its basically ground hemp. Which is a plant, not a drug, like commonly mistaken. See this article at Muscle Gain Tips which gives the pro's and con's:
    http://www.muscle-gain-tips.com/nutrition-articles/hemp-protein
  • jdavis193
    Options
    I ended up getting jillian at walmart just to start out. I went to GNC and the lady there didn't really help. I told her what I wanted she said some all natural stuff not sure about it. She said something like we have a whole store of protein. I left
  • carl1738
    Options

I apologize for my misunderstanding!
  • jdavis193
    Options

I apologize for my misunderstanding!

Oh it's ok I did type didn't and went back and fixed it!!!