Calories Burned from walking??

Options
I started walking yesterday and walked 1.5 miles in 23 minutes (just over 4 mph). Today I did the same route and made it in 21 minutes (just under 4mph). When I added it to my excercise it came up with 130 cals burned the first day and 119 today. The only way to put it in is MINUTES WALKED @ MPH, but not sure that is accurate. Wouldn't I burn more calories walking it faster?

Replies

• clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The only way to really follow your progress is to get a heart rate monitor then you'll know exactly what you burned when and how, get one you won't regret it !
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    what is a good HRM and what do they run cost wise?
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    It is an estimate and you entered them both at 4mph, the tool can't tell that you walked it faster.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If you don't have an HRM, you can go to a site like caloriesperhour.com and calculate the calories based on more detailed info... they have a walking calculator that lets you calculate by three different options: time & speed, time & distance, or speed & distance. Play around with that and see if you can get more accurate numbers from there.

The calorie calculators are here: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I wouldn't get to stuck on exactly what you're burning. If it's on the low side that's good. You don't want to over estimate you're effort and then eat more than you burned.
    Keep up the great work!!! That's quite an achievement.
  • andrea777
    andrea777 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try putting your info into this treadmill calculator and see what you get! Hope this helps! It finally cleared up a lot of questions w/ mine! ~Andrea
    http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    You burn the same amount of calories no matter if you walk or run a mile. Mostly because they are the same distance. If you walked 2 miles or only ran 1 mile than you will burn more calories walking the 2 miles because it is further distance.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    Polar has really great heart rate monitors in all price ranges. I used one for about a year before I got my bodybugg:)

I had an RS 300x, and was really happy with it.