Blood pressure and diet

Options
mrau719
mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
Ok....having a healthy diet helps to lower BP and that's a good thing, right?

Well while it's good for most a lower BP is not so good for me. I already have low BP. A normal BO is 120/80. I think last time I had it taken was 116/65 or around there. When your diastolic pressure (the bottom number) drops below 60 you can black out/pass out. Mine will occasionally do that now. Well with a revamped diet it drops below that more often. I had a few years in high school I ate extremely well cutting out excess salt and sodium and it was a weekly thing for me to get up take a few steps and slump over for a second...not very long but not the most pleasant experience.

So after a little back story what are healthier foods/ways to get more sodium/salt in my diet? Most people want to cut back so I thought might be a good idea to share why I need more haha. The doc has also said that extra water will help so at least I have another reason to drink lots of water! He also suggested the added salt/sodium but I don't really just want to dump salt on all my food lol

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with salt, as far as I know, is that it causes water retention which raises blood pressure. I have no idea what your sodium numbers are, but a little more shouldn't hurt if your blood pressure is too low. My only worry would be having your systolic number go up as 116 really is not that low for it, but if you doctor suggested more sodium that sounds like the way to go.

No idea on "healthy" higher sodium things because my problem is the opposite. Simply adding a little salt to things will probably do it for you as a little will go a long way toward increasing your daily sodium intake.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Do you like seafood? Most are naturally higher in sodium (100+ mg per serving). Canned tuna can be very high depending on the brand. I have seen multigrain bread and flour tortillas as a high as 450 mg per serving, without having high fat or sugar content. Hope that helps.
  • mrau719
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't think about seafood!

And yea my systolic isn't that low, but that number has never been a problem for me including too high. And my last BP was taken sitting...it drops more once I get up and start moving around...
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Canned beans/refried beans are high in sodium too. Many canned or pre-packaed foods are higher in sodium than their fresh versions.
    Also if you like salsa that is another good one. Swiss and Rainbow chard (like spinach) is higher in sodium that most leafy greens.
  • WannabeMike
    Options
    Your BP isn't particularly low. I'd just try an increased fluid intake and see how it goes, more salt is not good for your heart or BP in the long run. If your doc was worried he'd have prescribed some tabs.
  • Anathema13
    Options
    As stated above, the problem with salt isn't that it's unhealthy inherently, it's that it can cause hypertension. In your case, the extra salt shouldn't be an issue. Also as stated above, processed foods usually carry more salt than fresh.

You can actually pass out due to either number or both systolic or diastolic being too low. Also, if your blood pressure is dropping too much between laying down to standing up (I won't give you all the medical jargon) that can cause you to pass out as well. Your diastolic sounds like it naturally sits pretty low so you'll want to keep well hydrated as you'll probably be sensitive to any kind of dehydration effects. Naturally, that means avoiding alcohol and diuretics, natural or otherwise. Obviously, take these with a grain of salt as your own doctor knows your history better but hope these help =).
  • mrau719
    Options
    @kaikipi13
    Yea it's the diastolic that gets me...And yes! It's when I go from being more relaxed to getting up and moving around that it tends to have the most dramatic drops. You pretty much hit it right on the head.

Thanks for the advice it does help! I appreciate it :)
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Dulse? Its a seaweed which has a mild sea-salty taste. You can get it in a ground dried variation and shake it on food as a seasoning, or what I like, is you get it in a bag in a leaf form--you can chop it up and mix it in salads, fry it and it gets crisp, or chop/shred it and throw some in to rice as it steams to flavor it. I guess it a regular food/snack in part of Europe/Ireland. A bit hard to find in stores, but I've ordered it thru www.iherb.com and www.vitacost.com I have also fried it till its dry and crisp, then ground it into a powder and mixed it in to homemade sports drinks and homemade gels as the added sodium.
  • mrau719
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Dulse? Its a seaweed which has a mild sea-salty taste. You can get it in a ground dried variation and shake it on food as a seasoning, or what I like, is you get it in a bag in a leaf form--you can chop it up and mix it in salads, fry it and it gets crisp, or chop/shred it and throw some in to rice as it steams to flavor it. I guess it a regular food/snack in part of Europe/Ireland. A bit hard to find in stores, but I've ordered it thru www.iherb.com and www.vitacost.com I have also fried it till its dry and crisp, then ground it into a powder and mixed it in to homemade sports drinks and homemade gels as the added sodium.

I've never heard of it, but I'll look it up though, thanks!