No running for 3 wks! Help!

Options
I strained my right hip abductor muscle and was told I can't run for three weeks, only use the recumbent bike if no pain.

Anyone else have this happen before? I have to go to physical therapy, which I don't want to do and take anti-inflammatories, which I can't afford the rx right now. :sad:

I don't want to lose the training that I've done thus far. I was supposed to run a 10k this Saturday. I'm crazy bummed right now.

Replies

• katyygirll
    Options
    currently i'm in physical therapy as well (different problem) but that actually offers a pretty decent work-out, if that helps at all. let your hip heal!
    -K
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofin and Motrin IB are both NSAIDs (non steriodal anti inflamatory drugs). You don't need a RX for them, they are quite cheap as far as pills go. You might not get as big of benefit as if you used a RX anti inflamatory, but they do work!

Listen to your doctors advice, don't want your hip getting worse :( sorry you are hurt.
  • katyygirll
    Options
    Ibuprofin and Motrin IB are both NSAIDs (non steriodal anti inflamatory drugs). You don't need a RX for them, they are quite cheap as far as pills go. You might not get as big of benefit as if you used a RX anti inflamatory, but they do work!

Listen to your doctors advice, don't want your hip getting worse :( sorry you are hurt.

aleve is actually the best because it has naproxen in it, its the poor man's RX anti-inflammitory
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have stress fracture in my shins, so I have been limited to stationary bike, swimming only for last 6 months. I miss running. Sorry you are missing the 10K on Sunday.. Can you do the Rock In Rock 1/2 coming up instead?
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sarah and kbug.

Try ibuprofen or Motrin. It is better than nothing. Also, the exercises you do at physical therapy can be added as well. Talk with your PT and find out if there is something you can do.

Stick to your daily calorie goal. You may be stagnant on the weight, but you'll maintain where you currently are at.

Since you can't "run" for a set amount of time... like 30 min at one time, try adding up all the minutes you do walk as you do stuff aorund the house, work. It does add up.

Hope this helps. Feel better hun.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are injured. Physical therapy can be good; I felt like it helped me when I had a hip problem. Helped me to identify weak areas and I got exercises to address those weaknesses. (Would probably be more helpful if I actually did the exercises ...) Three weeks off isn't too bad. You will not lose that much fitness and you should be able to get back on track with your training fairly quickly. Just ease back into it. You may have to take a couple weeks building back up but you will be fine!

Perhaps the PT can suggest more exercises you can do so that you can stay active.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm soooooo sorry you are injured still!!!!! I injured my knee 3 days before my first 5k last fall and was unable to compete :( i had to take 3 weeks off as well. So know how you are feeling! My doc just had me take ibuprofen. but my injury might not have been as severe as yours. Hang in there!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Sigh I feel ya, girl. Was just diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma yesterday! Which is putting me out of running for the forseeable future... and here I wanted to complete my first 1/2 marathon in May! Hang in there :ohwell: It's tough but you'll manage.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Amazing on your quitting smoking! How did you do it?! I'm on Champix week 5 ... Went from a pack a day to 3 a day! so they work somewhat! still can't put it out in the AM's though :(
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Amazing on your quitting smoking! How did you do it?! I'm on Champix week 5 ... Went from a pack a day to 3 a day! so they work somewhat! still can't put it out in the AM's though :(

I was never really much of a smoker anyway, just mainly one before bedtime. So it was pretty easy for me to quit.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Who are you asking? I quit cold turkey once I left my job and couldn't justify the expense anymore... No income = no money to spend on cigarettes. After 7 years of smoking and about 20 billion attempts, I finally DUG IN and made myself a priority. Good luck!
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sigh I feel ya, girl. Was just diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma yesterday! Which is putting me out of running for the forseeable future... and here I wanted to complete my first 1/2 marathon in May! Hang in there :ohwell: It's tough but you'll manage.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! I thought 3 wks was bad. Well we're here for each other :)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    ask him about water running. that is usually good for recovery.
  • katyygirll
    Options

aww feel better! i know how frustrating foot problems can be, i have plantar fascitis, accesory navicular syndrome, and sesmoiditis, as well as carpal tunnel in my wrist.
    -K
  • jifferdoodle
    Options
    I had some problems a year ago (bursitis and plantar fasc.) and I ended up trying to get creative to stay fit. I did the hand bike at the gym, swam with only my upper body (lower on floaties) and continued with my upper body training. That way I was still burning calories, getting my heart rate up and sustained for long periods of time, and not feeling like a couch potato. I really believe that you've got to let your body heal or else your performance will suffer- or it will set you back further time-wise. It seems like injuries always occur during my over-training/ over-zealous periods. I guess it just plain sucks having to miss a huge event, but the reality is your body is asking for a time out and you'll have to reconcile that with your head. Good luck recovering!!!