Probably a stupid question but

Options
should I eat the calories that I earn working out or not? I'm so confused. I just want to be successful. I have to get this weight off. I thought not eatting them was good.
I get 2280 calories a day
I workout and earn anywhere from 300 to 800 depending on my day.
I haven't been eating them since I started on this website and I have only lost 1.8.
I'm so confused.

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    2280 sounds like a lot of calories before exercise. are you sure you have your profile right as far as your daily activities?
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can offer some ideas!

4692665.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You will be more successful in weight loss if you don't eat your workout calories back. I've found that when I did at the beginning of my program I was alot slower to lose if I ate those calories. So I don't I eat my 1470 calories aday and that's it....Good luck.. Let me ask you this, what do you want more? To lose the weight or enjoy those cookies for about 10 minutes and then regret eating them...
  • laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    I tend to try and not eat my extra calories though exercise... they are there if i need them but i tend to try and stay clear.

1.8lbs is better than nothing! I lost 4 lbs in my first 2 1/2 weeks and have kind of stopped now, but i think u need to weight 6-8 weeks before you start seeing any difference. Plus you will lose body fat before calories, so dont be disheartened if you havent lost a lot of weight because you are probably losing body fat!!!

Keep going!!!! :)
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The larger you are, the more you can get away with not eating your exercise calories. Its a good thing at first, but be mindful that once you get smaller and hit a plateau, and your intake becomes lower, you may want to consider eating some of the exercise calories. I eat half of mine as a general rule so that my body doesnt eat my muscle for energy instead while I work out. It keeps my body fueled and burning fat!
  • magichandsval
    magichandsval Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    no i would stick to your calorie intake and keep your excersise calories seperat you should lose about 2 pounds per week drink lots off water
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    over 2000 calories seems massive. on an average day i try to eat about 1500 calories, and i don't eat my exercise calories, i eat some of my exercise calories on the weekend as a small treat to myself, but not all my exercise calories.

depends how fast you want to lose the weight. if you cut your calories and exercise, the fat will come off quicker (as long as you don't starve yourself).

eating all your exercise calories seems to me to be something to do when you are on maintenance phase.

if you eat all your exercise calories, you will be dropping weight very slowly, and may lose motivation if it takes too long. if you can't see the numbers changing, it's easy to get unmotivated.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you follow the MFP recommendations then Yes you should eat your exercise calories.
  • Nlbrooks76
    Nlbrooks76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    2280 sounds like a lot of calories before exercise. are you sure you have your profile right as far as your daily activities?

Yes I checked it again. I'm an at home mom and don't move much. However I noticed that it is set on only losing 1 pound a week. If I move it to 2 pounds a week then my caloires go to 1780. So I might try that for awhile :)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You will be more successful in weight loss if you don't eat your workout calories back. I've found that when I did at the beginning of my program I was alot slower to lose if I ate those calories. So I don't I eat my 1470 calories aday and that's it....Good luck.. Let me ask you this, what do you want more? To lose the weight or enjoy those cookies for about 10 minutes and then regret eating them...
    You may have to try it both ways and see what works for you. Just because it works one way for one person, doesn't mean it will work the same for you! Good luck!
  • bushey101
    bushey101 Posts: 22
    Options
    Try eating subway.