What are the reasons behind a private food diary?

Options

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    my reason for keeping my diary private has more to do with cyberspace than it does with "sharing" with MFP'ers. I always opt for more security rather than less when it comes to anything on the web.
  • Green_Eyed_Girl88
    Green_Eyed_Girl88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    BUMP When i first joined MFP I didnt even know that I could make it public. It was automatically private. Then I saw other users "View Diary" on their profiles. It wasnt until a few weeks later that I figured out how to make it public :)
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There was a topic floating around yesterday about someone bashing another girls food diary. This is why i want mine private. I'm not ashamed of what I eat...just too many trolls out there looking for drama

Love this answer!! I keep mine private for that reason as well :smile:
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I copied this from my blog:

I think that there is a lot of pressure to open up your food diaries. I think it's simply creepy. I do not need any lengthy explanations about how this contributes to camaraderie, adds support, is beneficial to all so we can get good ideas for healthier eating, or how it is an incentive to stay straight.

I do not need anyone to keep me honest. I'm honest with myself. I log all of my foods scrupulously.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My friends can see mine but I do not need anyone to keep me accountable.....it is actually one of my personal weaknesses.....it is so important to be to be accountable that I am very hard on myself.....I guess I don't check other's diary unless I have a specific reason and I guess it bugs me a little that others would be checking in on me without same reason
  • chelsea32291
    Options
    I copied this from my blog:

I think that there is a lot of pressure to open up your food diaries. I think it's simply creepy. I do not need any lengthy explanations about how this contributes to camaraderie, adds support, is beneficial to all so we can get good ideas for healthier eating, or how it is an incentive to stay straight.

I do not need anyone to keep me honest. I'm honest with myself. I log all of my foods scrupulously.

Agreed!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont need to be held accountable by anyone but myself:smile:
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says that they don't want the advice when it isn't requested. I had mine set to public and someone randomly got on me about eating a cookie in the evening. Are you kidding me? I've lost 66lbs, and I give myself at least a tiny treat everyday. It really irked me so I switched it to private.
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, but there are people who are extremely critical of other people's food diary and try to push their views (whether it's veganism, clean eating, etc, etc) at someone.

Plus if I'm holding my own self accountable, why I do need someone else prying into my diary?

^ pretty much exactly what I think, in a nutshell :happy:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    *Oh noes~!!1! Sumwun poyntid owt dat pryvisy iz badz fer yur oan goles... wee shud chainj it 2 pubic too B on-nest*

GTFO. Seriously? Are you really going to eat for them and make sure a diary is absolutely pristine? Are you going to pump their little legs for them on that treadmill, bike, or elliptical to make sure they get some form of cardio? Does it really matter if you can't see their daily intake? If so, feed me. I welcome it. :devil:
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    There are people on MFP that think wanting to have different levels of privacy on our friends list is reproachable FFS!
    Basically- there are people that I consider ultra gung ho that I want nothing to do with regarding my friends list, my diaries, my blog or anything. I'm a damned Libertine..I'm going to have some dark chocolate and wine I don't need anyone b itching about that. I'm a freaking grown WOMAN - I feel like half of this is just nosy neighbor syndrome.
    I know that *some* of my own friends would be great to have in my food diary because I respect them and trust them to be kind and great with me but I'm not going to deal with fools trying to pick at my eating habits. This place lends itself to obsessive paranoia..
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Damn. I put the open invite out there laced with all types of goodies. Really? No one? I should've done it sooner.

*Sadly walking away.... with the line still attached to the bait*
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    I agree with the original post - and if I may give you my insight... I have my diary on public, but have been noticing that since I've been slacking lately I haven't been logging at all. It is a form of embarrassment. It's also a form of lying to yourself. I just drank a whole bottle of wine by myself and ate a bunch of crap. Perhaps the wine is what is making me so honest right now, because believe me, it's hard. So there you have it. It's not easy, and I'm so happy that so many people are having such great success and positive experiences. But for me, I'm having a very hard time.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I log everything,the good the bad the really really bad.mine was open but I found that some people on this site think they are experts on everything since they dropped a few pounds and are really good with the copy paste ,and I got sick of messages about what I should be doing in their eyes
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Mine's open but I caution anyone about criticizing my choices...unless they want to foot the grocery bill. :)

I merely opened it if anyone wanted ideas or to see what I'm doing. I know I sometimes can't figure out what I want to eat and get ideas from others.
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    My food diary is viewable to my friends on MFP. Is there some horrible secret I'm keeping? No. My food diary isn't public because I'm a private person in general. Why would a complete stranger want to read it anyway?

Not everyone is so gung-ho about sharing personal things on the internet.
  • omgitsgarry
    omgitsgarry Posts: 138
    Options
    I just count calories, so there is no need for anyone to see just a bunch of quick added numbers. My blood work has come back perfect every time I have gone to the doctor since I started getting blood work done, so I really don't need to watch any other area's besides my calories. I also don't need people to keep me honest, like what a lot of people say who are against keeping it private, my scale does that for me.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I keep mine viewable to my friends only. I have nothing to hide and all my friends know that. I had my diary public at first. When I started getting rude comments and harsh criticism from people I am not even friends with, people I don't correspond with, and people who don't know me from Adam....I had enough! My diary is good. I stay within my limits every day, however, I don't need somebody telling me what I should and shouldn't do. Those who are my friends do so in a friendly, non-condiscending way. If I have a friend that starts in with the insults and finger pointing...then that is what the delete button is for.
  • pickle41
    pickle41 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How do I make it viewable to everyone??? I have asked this before and have gotten no results. Thanks And you are right, that's probalby why I'm not losing is because i over eat and noone sees it...
  • GinaJ2006
    GinaJ2006 Posts: 67
    Options
    Although a lot of people are probably embarrassed as you said, mine was private for a long time because it was the default and I didn't know. Even after I had heard people talking about making diaries public, it took me a while to get around to figuring out how to change it. Maybe some people don't even realize their diary is private.