Frustrated with my metabolism!!

Options
I've been working out like crazy for the last 2 months and I mean 4-5 45 minute workouts a week. I have only lost 7 pounds and have also been really watching my calories. I cut out sugar almost completely which is amazing for me and I am running 5K's which I've never done. What gives??? Confused and frustrated :(

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    open your diary so we can see what you have been doing. we can't tell you anything unless we can see what you have been doing.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure that your NET cals are above 1200??? Maybe even measure yourself all over. Could be your losing inches and fat turning to muscle (since muscle weighs more than fat) so you do not see the scale move but clothes lose maybe???
  • trekkiebeth
    trekkiebeth Posts: 172
    Options
    I wish I could lose 7 pounds in 2 months. I'm working out more than I ever have in my life and I've gained 2 pounds! (Not muscle.)
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    maybe u are not eating enough calories through out your day
  • Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, maybe I'm just being too impatient. It's just that I have never been so active before. I thought for sure that the running would make a huge difference because I've never been a runner. Thanks all for your thoughts.
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm sure I'm cutting back on bad foods and watching my intake and I'm working out like never before and being consistent (which is progress right there) but the whole losing thing is not what I'd hoped it would be. Still I know that exercise is good for me overall and eating right is a lifestyle change so I'm not quitting. Keep going!
  • BritanyV
    BritanyV Posts: 7
    Options
    I just sampled a few of your days through out February and it looks like you need to eat more calories. You seemed to have a lot of days that you didn't get to 1200 calories. Your body is probably going into starvation mode and you won't see a big loss on the scale unless you eat more.

Make daily meal plans so you reach at least 1200 calories and then more than that on days you are exercising.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I hope you are not really having to join the club of "slow losers". Many will assume you are not eating right, not exercising enough, not eating enough and yadda yadda yadda. The fact is most people when they make significant changes lose weight at a decent rate of 1-2 lbs a week. But the fact is that there are many who will not. Don't assume you are doing anything wrong. You should not have to eat perfectly or exercise yourself to death to lose weight. Eating properly most of the time, watching portions and gettings some form exercise works for most. And for others it barely makes a dent.

But if you in the club of "slow losers" are don't despair there are others out there with the same problem. Every little bit counts and eventually you will reach your goal.

For me 11 months - 20lbs weight loss. If I lost 7 lbs in 2months I'd faint!! For me it was more like 6 months to see 7lb weight loss. So you are doing good!! :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,245 Member
    Options
    You are likely not in starvation mode, but a lot of what I have seen is food that is processed and that usually means high in sodium which will make you retain water. However, since you are not tracking sodium in your diary, I can't see where you are there. Also, seeking to eat high fiber helps lose weight and most processed stuff has little or no fiber. How much water do you drink usually. For some reason losing weight needs lots of water. Finally, do you ever measure something other than weight. You may find that you are losing inches, sometimes in the places you wouldn't notice.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just sampled a few of your days through out February and it looks like you need to eat more calories. You seemed to have a lot of days that you didn't get to 1200 calories. Your body is probably going into starvation mode and you won't see a big loss on the scale unless you eat more.

Make daily meal plans so you reach at least 1200 calories and then more than that on days you are exercising.

Yes always eat back your cals to make you at a NET of 1200 or starvation will hit you! Im surprised you have not gained from it. I do 5 miles on weekends and one day thru the week and teh other 4 days I do 3 miles. Today I did 5 miles and burned 515 cals I think... I ate 400 of them back to put me at 1240 NET cals. Before I knew about the 1200 cal min I never lost weight and I always gained. Now that iv learned that , it took my body about a week to balance back out but now im losing every week and it feels great! Just eat more. Fuel your body so it keeps burning. :)
  • Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the insight into the calories and counting. I had not realized how important it is. And it makes so much sense!