Needs success

Options
Hi everyone,

My name is Sara and I am 23 yrs old. I am currently a nursing student but I will be graduating in May. Although I am a fairly active person, I have consistently gained weight every year since I graduated high school. I am 5'4" and weigh 173lbs. I feel like I have been trying to lose weight from the moment I was born. I have had some success in the past (lost 15lbs 2 yrs ago) but it never lasts. I always gain it back and then some. It has been a very frustrating process. As a nurse I want to set an example for my clients and practice what I preach. Also, I love doing sports but I find my weight is holding me back. I joined a boxing gym just over a year ago but I haven't lost any weight. I ended up gaining muscle so I gained more weight.

My problem is with food. I eat fairly healthy (lots of vegetables and only whole grains) but I am horrible with portion control. My stomach seems to be a bottomless pit. I hope that I can be consistent with my meal and exercise plan and in 3 months I can graduate feeling great about myself!

I look forward to hearing other's stories!

-Sara

Replies

• gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What works for one, may not work for others...
    1) I personally can't be serious about the food portion control unless I'm drinking about 200 ounces of water a day. It fills me up a lot and keeps my mind of the normal hunger pangs that I would get.
    2) I have to eat several times a day, usually six. Eating that many times a day keeps me from being SUPER hungry at "normal" meal times and over-eating at those times.
    3) If my main goal is sheer weight loss, then it's all about the calorie counting for me. I would never suggest that it doesn't matter "what" you eat, but it's certainly a lot less important than how much you eat in regards to shedding pounds.
    4) I have to want it. I know, EVERYBODY says they want it. It's all in my mind. Charlie Sheen seems like a nut job to everyone right now, but I believe he said something along the lines of, "I closed my eyes and willed it to be" in regards to his sobriety. That particular thing isn't that off to me. Only we have the power to make it so both mentally and physically, but I myself can never achieve the physical without first obtaining the mental.

Good luck, keep your head up and really want something wonderful for yourself!
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm there with ya! I LOVE food - all kinds, fruits, veggies, pastas, meat, desserts, ALL of it. A very close friend of mine told me something that stuck with me in regards to loving to eat, or eat a certain food: It will be there tomorrow. If you want a donut, have one. Feel like another one? Wait until tomorrow. It will be just as good then, I promise. There is no satisfaction in eating 3 times the amount you need to in one sitting. Actually, most of us are miserable after eating that much. Why do it?

I also agree with the previous poster, you have to want it. I mean, really want it. Almost to the point of "needing" it.

I have tried drinking a glass of water when I feel like I need something sweet, or when I feel like one more cookie. It works for me. At least for now it does.

Every day is a chance to start over. Stay strong, and tell yourself everyday that you are amazing and strong, and we will NOT let the weight win. This is our time!!
  • sbro235
    sbro235 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello everyone,

My name is Sean, I just joined because I need help with motivation and getting back the old me. I was a very chubby kid and seemingly lost 60 lbs and grew a foot over night between my sophmore and jounior year. I joined the military right out of high school and have had weight fluxuation thoughout from 180 to 220 which is my current weight. I married a few years ago and have had 2 children since. I feel I have let myself go. I used to be very active and out going now my routine is go to work, come home and sit on the couch and watch T.V. till 1030 11 at night. I feel tierd and unhealthy most of the time. I hope this is somthing that will get me back on track and from post Ive read it has worked great for alot of people.

Sean
  • sararuiz
    sararuiz Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement and tips. I am currently resisting having seconds by drinking a large glass of water haha Good luck with your goals!