Something is not working

Options
I have been working out and eating right for 3 weeks now, and I haven't lost anything. I have tried to refrain from weighing myself because I always get upset. I waited the full 3 weeks and got on the scale excited to see the results, and It said I had gained 3 pounds. I know is due to water, and the scale will fluctuate, but I am getting discouraged. I would like to lose 2 pounds per week. I haven't taken my measurements and I know I need to do that, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• chrish1981
    chrish1981 Posts: 156
    Options
    You should make your diary public so that people can comment on what you're eating.

Maybe something is counteracting your progress....
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    weigh yourself first thing in the morning. maybe that will help. I get discouraged sometimes because i weigh myself right after I eat, or after a long day, and it is always up. the morning weight is most accurate.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Can you see other changes in your body or clothes?
    Are you eating enough?
    Keep up the good work and you will see changes.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Being able to see your food diary would be a great help, but things to consider besides calories are water intake and sodium. I just watched a great documentary called "Fat Head" by Tom Naughton - gives a great overview of foods and how they are used in your body. I learned a lot from watching it.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree with making diary public...how is your sodium and water intake? this makes a world of difference. Are you eating your exercise calories? What kind of exercise are you doing - cardio or strenght training.....
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    please share your food diary!

4692665.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Really can't tell you without being able to see your food diary. Open to public so we can see what your taking and what your burning off with your exercise..Are you exercising daily, are you drinking plenty of water, what's the sodium on a daily basis.. If you are following the guidelines, and exercising, then you might need to get your Hormone level checked and thyroid.. Those are 2 definites that will cause lack of weight loss...Good luck...
  • jsidway
    jsidway Posts: 6
    Options
    Maybe too much sodium in the foods your're eating. That would make you retain water. Are you drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water per day? I feel your pain...I've been eating healthy for 7 weeks and the scale goes up and down. I just joined MFP less than a week ago. I love seeing what I'm eating and I want to exercise more. Good luck to you...jean
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    wow- so many reasons are possible. Initially I gained weight too, but i was lifting weight. My body was just adjusting before I began to see the weight loss. You definitely need to get measurements. I stayed off the scale for a while and just paid attention to the clothes fitting differently. Just a though- keep at it, right?! :wink:
  • missdeehere
    missdeehere Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes feel less tight?

You may be losing inches & gaining muscle.
  • shabaam
    shabaam Posts: 6
    Options
    I know how you feel.
    Since January 1st I have worked out 5 days a week, tracked what I eat and in over two months only lost 8 lbs. I also wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, and it wasnt happening for me either. BUT, I am seeing a difference in my face, my clothes, and my muscle definition, so hey sometimes it isn't all about the number on the scale :)

As long as you feel good, and see a physical difference, then that is all that matters...the number will soon start to go down...I Promise! Just don't give up.
  • umauma2011
    umauma2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I no what you mean I am having the same problem , keep up with it don't quit , it will start coming off pretty soon .
    We all loose at a diffrent pace KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!! YOU WILL START TO SEE !!!! IT JUST TAKES TIME
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Try switching up your meals. If you are eating the same meals your body will become used to it so I alternate days or weeks with either 2 small breakfasts (yogurt w/fruit and later oatmeal) and something a little heavier like eggs or a D-Lite breakfast sandwich etc. One week at work I will do sandwiches, next week salads with only veggies, chicken and Lt dressing ---no cheese, croutons or nuts etc.
    Also, keep in mind the duration and intensity of the workout. 3500 calories is a lot to burn off!! I ate healthy before I started so my 1200 calorie goal was where I was already Sooooo, for me to lose 1 pound, I litterally have to do 7 workouts of 500 calories EACH!! Burning 150-200 does not make it happen for me so I am hitting the 300 min of cardio weekly. I am down 15 since Christmas.
    Good Luck! Just don't quit, out habits are what we are---it will catch up eventually.
    Also, (this is my biggest problem) make sure you don't go crazy on a "splurge". 1 fried dinner or 1 Cold Stone sundae can be 1000-1300 extra calories. Do that 1-3 times on a weekend and now everything you worked for all week is gone. Trust me---It is my biggest obstacle.
  • Anathema13
    Options
    A few things will make me change 2-3 pounds even overnight. Two major things are a salty intake or a large meal late in the day. I can almost guarantee that I'll be 2 pounds heavier in the morning if I did either one of those things the day before. In the beginning I was like you. I would get frustrated by seeing the scale. I hear the advice of only doing once a week too and while I understand the reasoning behind it, I don't know that I always agree with it. I weigh myself daily now and it makes me feel accountable. I know what's water weight (or food weight =/) because I know what I've eaten the day before. I don't have to wonder if it's new muscle since I probably didn't put on two pounds of muscle while I was sleeping. When I used to do once a week, I used to write off gains. I'd tell myself that I must be gaining muscle mass when in fact I was probably still eating poorly. While daily weigh-ins don't enable me to see huge drops, I am still able to see immediate results and gratification from eating well the day before. Whether that's maintaining the same weight or even dropping half a poundI like my digital scale for seeing decimal drops. They might seem small but they add up!

I do, however, agree with doing it in the morning and at the same time every day.
  • VRoseDuda
    Options
    A few things will make me change 2-3 pounds even overnight. Two major things are a salty intake or a large meal late in the day. I can almost guarantee that I'll be 2 pounds heavier in the morning if I did either one of those things the day before. In the beginning I was like you. I would get frustrated by seeing the scale. I hear the advice of only doing once a week too and while I understand the reasoning behind it, I don't know that I always agree with it. I weigh myself daily now and it makes me feel accountable. I know what's water weight (or food weight =/) because I know what I've eaten the day before. I don't have to wonder if it's new muscle since I probably didn't put on two pounds of muscle while I was sleeping. When I used to do once a week, I used to write off gains. I'd tell myself that I must be gaining muscle mass when in fact I was probably still eating poorly. While daily weigh-ins don't enable me to see huge drops, I am still able to see immediate results and gratification from eating well the day before. Whether that's maintaining the same weight or even dropping half a poundI like my digital scale for seeing decimal drops. They might seem small but they add up!

I do, however, agree with doing it in the morning and at the same time every day.
  • VRoseDuda
    Options
    I completely agree---I weigh myself everyday not because I am freaking out but to gauge what affects my progress. SOUP---uh-oh, frozen meals---eek!!
    it lets me know my range.
  • jullstew
    jullstew Posts: 4
    Options
    I made my diary public. If someone is willing to look at it and make suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I do not eat my exercise earned calories, and someone asked if I were eating enough. I rarely go over my calories, but I try to eat at least 1200 which is my goal. Sometimes I eat around 1100 but usually no less. Again, I appreciate any and all comments.