How can anyone live on only 24 grams of sugar a day?

Options
I am only allowed 24 grams of sugar a day if I dont work out. I am having a VERY hard time meeting that even if I eat very clean. Does that sound to low?

Replies

• DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    I don't think it's too bad personally. I ate 21g today and most of it was from the 4 herhey's minis I ate
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you eat a banana its like 54 sugars!!! I thought bananas were considered 'clean'!
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    It's not one of my normal settings, but when I just switched it I could see that I get 24g a day too and I go over by 5-10 a day! Just wondering why it would be bad to go over if you don't have any sugar issues?

Edited to say I went back further and I am over by 10-20!
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    How do you know you are only allowed 24 g of sugar? is that a mfp number?
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If your sugars are coming from good foods and your not diabetic then your ok. I go over on sugar by ALOT!!!! Im still losing weight. I even eat a banana every morning and sometimes for a snack too. So no worries, I think your ok.
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    I will begin by saying this...I am not a nutritionist...I only know what I've heard and looked up. So take my advice with a grain of salt (although sodium is worse than sugar.....lol).

What "sugar" are you having a problem with? I exceed my sugar intake on alot of days, but I do it mostly with fruits and vegetables. I do have processed sugar (in my Protien Shake in the morning, my Protien Bar during the day, and maybe a Weight Watchers Ice Cream Bar at night, but not always- I would say that this accounts for anywhere from 4-10g of processed sugar). I do not used processed sugar in my coffee, nor do I drink sugar laced drinks (soda, juice w/ added sugar etc...).

With that said, what I have heard and read, is that "natural sugar" is not as big a concern. You can't entirely diregard the sugar intake, but if you are intaking say 20g of sugar from fruits and vegeetables, it is no where near being as bad as 20g of processed sugar.

Again this is only what I have heard (on here actually) and read. I'm not saying that it's entirely accurate, but it doesn't seem to be having a negative effect on me.
  • justintjohnson
    Options
    Be careful when talking about sugar i just started and noticed that it is also including the healthy sugars as well (such as fruit) those sugars are good for you and in my opinion should be separate from the main sugar category. thats just what i feel though
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i asked this when i started and someone said if i don't have a reason to track sugar don't. you know clean and you know junk. avoid processed grains and pure sugar things (candy) and you should be fine.
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    I looked at older entries of mine and noticed also that on days that I ate fruit I doubled sometimes even tripled the sugar goal. So maybe it's because you eat a lot of fruit that you're finding it difficult. I'm not an expert so I don't really know if that's a good thing or not, but fruit is natural so I don't think it's a real huge problem. Maybe the estimated number is for cake and cookies and stuff like that lol
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 20 g a day however I don't come close to that and I don't have an issue wth sugar.today I've has 2g. I also do a lot of sugar free stuff
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna quit tracking sugar because there is sugar in milk, bread, fruits of course, and lots of other good foods. I thought it would track my "added" sugar, not every sugar. It isn't helpful because I disregard it anyway.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,246 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much always over 24g but for the potassium I eat a banana every day and I believe that by itself would put me over. I don't have any sugar issues, and I don't track it or even worry about it.
  • jaccismith
    Options
    Yes that is what MFP quoted me
  • jaccismith
    Options
    So looking back at my food choices I am gettinga bout 1/2 of my grams of sugar from non fruit or veggie stuff. Now even though I never tracked my sugar before I know that Im sure I used to eat 100-200 grams a day so Im going to be ok with my 50 that Im eating now :) Especially when half of that was from healthy sources and I exercised for the day. Thanks for the help guys!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    for everyone its no more than 35gr a day to lose weight and not gain or look puffy....you need to eat cleaner of sugars...watch the fruit. my sugar mostly comes from lactose. It can be done
  • rherrin5
    Options
    I checked my sugars on a good day of healthy eating and I was almost at 100. But in the last week I lost .9 pounds so id say it really depends on the person I guess. Mine all come from fruits and veggies and I have high fiber and high good carbs. If you balance it all out id say your fine. This is just me though, sometimes it doesnt work with someone elses body. Im not preaching just trying to help ya out :)
  • jaccismith
    Options
    RHERRIN,
    Thank you! That does help to put my fears to rest. I weigh in for the first week on Monday so I guess I will know if its ok for me to go over my sugars or not. :)
    9 pounds though??? Thats awesome!!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    it says i've had 47g of sugar.
    most came from a greek yogurt i ate (14g). i also ate a banana and it says its only 4 g.
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm over my MFP allotted sugar quota every day, including days I still have a couple hundred calories left over and I haven't eating anything "bad." I've decided to ignore it.
  • rherrin5
    Options
    No 0.9 lbs :) almost a pound a week is what my loss is. Sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more I wish it was 9 lbs in one week hahaha :)