Elongate Leg Muscles...

OK so I have been doing the lovely Bootcamp class twice per week!! One of the instructors is IN TO SQUATS AND LUNGES!! Now that i can get through them w/o my legs buckling...the muscles in my legs are well.......HUGE!! I know that means i am getting in shape and that they are all muscle but JEEZ LA WEEZ!! Is there anyway/exercise to elongate the lean muscle in my legs, i want to be lean but not a body builder HE HE HE....any ideas?? I was thinking maybe Pilates?? :bigsmile:

Replies

• OK so I have been doing the lovely Bootcamp class twice per week!! One of the instructors is IN TO SQUATS AND LUNGES!! Now that i can get through them w/o my legs buckling...the muscles in my legs are well.......HUGE!! I know that means i am getting in shape and that they are all muscle but JEEZ LA WEEZ!! Is there anyway/exercise to elongate the lean muscle in my legs, i want to be lean but not a body builder HE HE HE....any ideas?? I was thinking maybe Pilates?? :bigsmile:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Pilates and yoga will stretch and lengthen your muscles to an extent. But, some muscles are just going to be big!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/3649.html

Found a link for you to look at.....I say google your question. There are a lot of opinions and suggestions out there that may work for you!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Make sure to stretch before and after. yoga a couple times a week couldn't hurt.
  • I build muscle very easily, and I've found that pilates and running have both helped to slim mine down. I still do some lunging, but try not to make it a huge part of my workout.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Well, that's what happens when you do a TON of reps. You get ridiculous lactic acid buildup which promotes GH release, plus the cells swell with glycogen after being depleted....and boom, you have some swollen muscles.

No one ever listens to me when I say this, but here it goes anyway, for the sake of my love of muscle physiology :laugh: :

Powerlift.

Powerlifting results in little to no growth because it doesn't promote the hormonal changes needed for growth, and relies on neurological changes to increase strength rather than muscle size. If you want hard, compact muscles, lift HEAVY (<6 reps). Take long rests. Stop building lactic acid with dozens of reps. Let your body fat decrease to make your legs smaller.

You *cannot* change the length of your muscles. They originate and insert in the same places forever and ever, the end. No exercise is going to change insertion of your IT band from your femoral epicondoyle to the head of your fibula. You could see if a doctor might do that, but...they won't. :wink:
  • Well, that's what happens when you do a TON of reps. You get ridiculous lactic acid buildup which promotes GH release, plus the cells swell with glycogen after being depleted....and boom, you have some swollen muscles.

No one ever listens to me when I say this, but here it goes anyway, for the sake of my love of muscle physiology :laugh: :

Powerlift.

Powerlifting results in little to no growth because it doesn't promote the hormonal changes needed for growth, and relies on neurological changes to increase strength rather than muscle size. If you want hard, compact muscles, lift HEAVY (<6 reps). Take long rests. Stop building lactic acid with dozens of reps. Let your body fat decrease to make your legs smaller.

You *cannot* change the length of your muscles. They originate and insert in the same places forever and ever, the end. No exercise is going to change insertion of your IT band from your femoral epicondoyle to the head of your fibula. You could see if a doctor might do that, but...they won't. :wink:

I dont lift at all, when i do the squats its cuz my bootcamp instructor makes me...on a typical night its 1-2 long lengths of the gym with a 12 lb bar on our shoulders. When she gets to that part...how can i 'power lift' and/or do less reps?? What could i sub with?