Oatmeal freaks me out.

Options
So yesterday I tried oatmeal again for the first time in years. My reaction was the same as the first time I ate it. The texture totally freaks me out! It's like eating baby food. Today I tried putting some almonds in it, and it was slightly better. Anyone have any oatmeal tips? I've tried the PB and banana thing, and while the taste is good, it doesn't do much to improve the creepy texture. Help!

Replies

• valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like to add raisins & cinnamon or cranberries & almonds
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal has a totally different texture.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way if I make it too runny so i make mine super thick. lol just enough hot water to mix it all together. I love it that way! its like eating raw oatmeal cookies :p
  • prot11
    prot11 Posts: 15
    Options
    How about some apples? Also, you can make it thicker by using less water (or milk), and cooking it a bit longer.
  • sevenatenine
    Options
    Have you tried putting less water in it? It makes it firmer. My husband is a picky eater, that did the trick for him. I also put apples in it for him. He said it helps with the mushiness.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I second the less water. Also, I like to put walnuts and a whole apple (minus the core) into a food processor. After the oatmeal is cooked, I mix the chopped-up mixture into the oats. It helps the texture, and tastes great.
  • drfletcher25k
    drfletcher25k Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with BryanAir. Steel cut oats are the only way to go. All the others taste like elementary school paste to me. I eat it with a little honey, almonds or pepitas, and a little almond milk.
  • dweaddy2
    dweaddy2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like the "old fashioned" oatmeal because I like the texture better than "quick" or "instant". I use a half cup apple juice plus half cup water to the half cup oats. The apple juice sweetens it up just right. I also throw in some raisins or craisins. And top it off with some pumpkin spice. 270 calories. Love it.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I top mine with granola sometimes. I used to be the same way with the texture. Eventually I just got over it.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It die take some time to get used to it.. I do like the texture of the steel cut as well.

Just an FYI.. there is a recent post where people have posted some really interesting tips regarding this same topic:

http://bit.ly/fCoypm

Hope this helps.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    hahaha!! If you don't like it...don't eat it! :) That's how I feel about cottage cheese! Try the new kashi crisp cereal. Yum Yum!!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I agree oatmeal is gross! I say, "don't force yourself to like it." There are lots of healthy cereals so why eat oatmeal. (I know this post is immature, but oatmeal looks like a bowl of lumpy snot and I refuse to eat that stuff!) Sorry this probably didn't help you get geared up to eat a big bowl tomorrow so hopefully other posts will be more helpful...
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you feel you have to eat something you don't like. There are lots of other breakfast foods high in fiber or protein!

I personally don't want to start my day eating something that makes me gag.....

Let it go!!!!
  • aimeelayton
    Options
    I, too, hated oatmeal but knowing how good it is for you I tried it again. I also have a thing with texture with some foods. I cut up a banana, add some granola, and some craisons. Awesome stuff!
  • NotaNikki
    NotaNikki Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll keep trying different things. I know there are healthy alternatives, but I have a box of oatmeal I need to get rid of, and I really don't want to bake cookies or anything. I like the idea of putting an apple in it, though! I will definitely try that tomorrow.
  • EdwardCPT
    EdwardCPT Posts: 37
    Options
    i like mines with almonds blueberries and sometimes sliced bananas
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That sounds good with the apple juice and water added to the dry cereal. I'm going to try that in the morning. I also like blueberries, walnuts and flax seed in it. So healthy and good for you.
  • silver14200
    Options
    cooked oatmeal is creepy, I totally agree. I eat mine uncooked with cold milk. yum
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, ya big baby! LOL

I buy oat groats. They're more like eating brown rice. In fact I think they're better, nutritionally, than brown rice (I'll have to look into that) and you could very well substitute it for the rice in a savory meal.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll keep trying different things. I know there are healthy alternatives, but I have a box of oatmeal I need to get rid of, and I really don't want to bake cookies or anything. I like the idea of putting an apple in it, though! I will definitely try that tomorrow.

You can use oatmeal dry in making meatloaf. Just substitute it for the bread or cracker crumbs.