Allergic to Exercise

lauraashley09
lauraashley09 Posts: 182 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I have Cholinergic Urticaria. I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue and how it has affected their weight/fitness level. I don't go to the gym because it's more comfortable to break out at home rather than in public. I've been using fitness DVD's and PS3 move. The doctor said it might go away one day in the future...but who knows.

Replies

• chrish1981
    chrish1981 Posts: 156
    I have something similar, but exercise usually isn't a trigger. I break out in hives on my neck and chest when I have any sort of blood pressure spike (nervousness, heavy laughter, crying, alcohol).

It's really freakin' embarassing....I feel your pain. There's like, NOTHING they can do for it either.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Sorry to hear that---though I don't suffer from cholinergic urticaria, I do suffer from hives on an almost daily basis. No clue what it is from or why. Been tested, but I do know that 90% of cases of hives are left unknown why.

Today, I woke up with a swollen lip and eye, and cheek--they happen so strangely. I don't get covered in them (sometimes, but not often) but rather a few big whelts in various places. Like I said, occasionaly I will breakout allover--I live off Allegra almost daily. Yet, I have never associated it with exercise only because I have had hives before my weight loss journey and before I started exercising.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    I do not have the same affliction as you but I did suffer from chronic bowel problems/related to that problem things but I changed my diet to a much cleaner one and now my problems are totally gone, I was at the point where I was in line for surgery to correct the problems and was told that no matter what I did I would not be able to correct it without surgery. So here I sit now completely healed and not needing surgery at all, the doc was flat out amazed and wanted to know exactly what I did to get over it. I simply said I got rid of all the processed crap in my diet and started working out again. I have dropped 23 pounds to date with 15 more to go for my ultimate goal. Food is medicine, the right diet can cure damn near anything. Cinammon and natural honey are what I highly recommend if you are suffering from any health problems they are both known to cure a lot of health problems.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    I don't know if that is what I have because it only happens for about 3-4 weeks out of a year sometimes twice a year then it goes a way. When I would get hot from anything like exercise or even just the temp in the room going up I would get this itchy prickly feeling on my skin that get's intense. It is accompanied by hives in my neck and thighs.

Then mysteriously goes away on it's own until it comes back later on in the year or the following year.
  • lauraashley09
    I have something similar, but exercise usually isn't a trigger. I break out in hives on my neck and chest when I have any sort of blood pressure spike (nervousness, heavy laughter, crying, alcohol).

It's really freakin' embarassing....I feel your pain. There's like, NOTHING they can do for it either.

That's really similar! Is it some kind of urticaria? Sorry to hear
  • lauraashley09
    I don't know if that is what I have because it only happens for about 3-4 weeks out of a year sometimes twice a year then it goes a way. When I would get hot from anything like exercise or even just the temp in the room going up I would get this itchy prickly feeling on my skin that get's intense. It is accompanied by hives in my neck and thighs.

Then mysteriously goes away on it's own until it comes back later on in the year or the following year.

That's interesting how infrequently that happens for you. I wonder if it's related to what I have. It's definitely not fun, whatever it is
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    I have noticed that I randomly break out in a rash after a hot shower or if I wear my sports bra too long. It affects one area at a time. First it was my chest for a couple months and now it is one of my breasts. I can't figure out if it is the HOT water or because I am using WELL water now. I can't pin point it.

I also get rashes on my belly from wearing belts or pants with metal snaps. I know this one is not the same but I am prone to skin rashes of different sorts. My mom has sensitivity to things and my dad has had severe excema his whole life so I am prone to things like this.
  • dawgmaven
    dawgmaven Posts: 10 Member
    I have a 10 year old daughter who might have this -- she gets hives from sweating or from quickly cooling (jumping in pool, going outside in winter, etc). How did you get your diagnosis? We just treat her with Zyrtec and Benadryl and the hives go away.
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    I have pressure hives. Pressure hives are when pressure applied to the skin causes a reaction...so pretty much anything I do or touch can cause me to get hives. They seem to cycle where I'll have them for about six weeks and then it will taper for two months then come back again. I get them on my feet (walking or wearing shoes), my behind (from sitting), my hands (from using them for anything), arms (wrists from computer desk), legs (inner thighs), waist (pants), under arms (bra). I had to stop exercising because my feet would be in so much pain I couldn't walk. Allergy medication helps reduce (not eliminate) the severe itching and pain.

So, I feel your pain!
This discussion has been closed.