Do I have to????

Options
When I first started on here I was counting calories and tracking, but I found a new weight loss program that I am starting tomorrow and it doesn't involve counting calories, just going by portion sizes. Advice pleaseeee.......should I continue counting the calories, and track or not? Do ALL of you count and track your calories each day? It does get stressful at times trying to stay within certain calorie restrictions......:indifferent: :ohwell:

Replies

• aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I count calories every day. It is the only thing that seems to work with me and keeps me accountable. Good luck!:smile:
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I also count everyday. It has just become habit and it keeps me accountable. Do what works best for you! it may be smart to keep counting at the beginning of your new portion control thing so you can get used to seeing how many calories are in those portions...then you can get to where maybe you wont need to count them anymore. Good luck! Let us know how it works!
  • royam01
    royam01 Posts: 123
    Options
    Counting works for me. I just type it in and let the computer do the work. I have been at it for over 60 days and it has become a habit and not a hassle. If portion sizes works thats great! I don't think i am strong enough for that. lol
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was working out everyday for at least an hour and didnt worry about counting calories. When I was doing that I dropped a ton of weight. when I started on this website I focused too much I think on the calories and tracking everything instead of sticking to what I was doing and now I have stopped losing. So I will be going back to being me tomorrow I think and not tracking my food as much but portion size. Need to get back on track. Good luck to you.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I count all of them every day! I didn't for the week of christmas and thought I was fine...well I gained 5lbs that week! FYI I have been at this for a year and a half now. Prob will count calories every day for the rest of my life. And I am so ok with that.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Counting calories has been the only successful thing for me when it comes to weight loss. Portion control is great, but even certain times (i.e. cheese) can have a lot of cals within them and the portion so small. Calorie control also brings in portion control...but if one works better than the other, go for it!

I used to think eating less calories would be hard, but I am not as hungry as I thought I was and its a lot easy after a few weeks.

Whatever you choose, mucho good luck and you can do it!! :)
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Counting calories never worked for me. I use a non-diet approach called Am I Hungry and I love it. I've never felt such freedom with food or had this much success with weightloss. Especially on a program where all foods fit-no food restrictions, no rules, just life!
  • NguyenTJ
    NguyenTJ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been on here less than 2 months. I count every day.... even the days that I didn't keep in goal. My opinion is that we aren't PERFECT... we're going to have days when we do something ourside of our goal... but if you lose site of the goal (don't count calories) you'll never make the goal. The ultimate goal is to get healthier... ditch a few pounds... and change life long eating and exersize habbits. Different methods will work for different people. Don't close your account..... try out the new one and see what kind of results you get. You can always come back and add this to your portion control method as well. Portion control is what will keep you at your calorie goal anyway ;)

Either way.... Good luck!!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I, too, am on a very special program that consist of eating six meals a day, 5 are prepackaged. But I still get on here every day and keep track of every calorie. I need to know that I am on track.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I count calories most days. I do have a few days a month where I don't track my food, but for the most part I log everything.
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I plan out my meals the day before based on what foods I have in the house. Then, I allow myself a wee bit of wiggle room in case plans need to change or if I feel snacky.
  • quickfiredan
    Options
    I've tried so many different diets; ultimately counting everything, food and exercise, is the only that is working for me. If counting calories is stressful for you, you have probably set unrealistic goals; drop your expectations slightly, switch over to nutrient dense foods, rather than energy dense ones, and you will start finding the pounds dropping off.

Also, track everything! Don't eat a small cake and say "it's just a small cake, I probably don't need to track that", as in the end you are just cheating yourself out of your own goals.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I've done portion controlled plans, and they work just fine, especially if the portions are laid out for you, as odds are a dietician (or several) has already figured out all of the cals etc. The problem I have with them is when I eat something "off the plan" it ruins my whole day, and I let it get to me. Whereas with counting cals. if I overindulge, I can always make it up with a little exercise =p. So I think it's really just a matter of whether it works for you =)
  • Sethro1
    Sethro1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Here's the real truth that I'm actually surprised I haven't seen yet.

The ONLY way to lose weight is to eat less calories than your body burns. That is it. There is no magic formula beyond that. THAT is why counting calories is a good idea... you can maintain a calorie deficit and lose weight.

I've tried portion control programs in the past and I'll tell you EXACTLY why Nutrisystem didn't work for me. If I ate everything I was supposed to each day, I'd only consume about 1750 calories... which is good. Sadly, I was constantly hungary and I'd find myself cooking two meals instead of one. I figured it was healthy food... so, what the hell.

I was saddened when I gained weight.

Once again, speaking scientifically, eat less than your body uses (I recommed a real BMI test) and you WILL lose weight... eat more, and you'll gain weight. If you eat the same... you'll stay the same. It's really that simple.
  • sandynx820
    sandynx820 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have tried just about every diet under the sun and lost great the first week or two and then hit a stand still. I can tell you that I have been counting calories on this site for 2 months and am really seeing results! IT WORKS! I would stick with it. I know it is hard to stay in your range the first several weeks, but after that it actually gets hard to use them all up.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Do you HAVE to?

No. If it's too hard for you personally, then you can try to find a different method. This site is pretty much geared around calorie counting, so most people on here will say that they do count their cals each day. But it's certainly not the ONLY way to lose weight, and if it causes you a lot of stress then mayeb a different routine would be easier to stick with long term.

Good luck!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it restrictive at all. I eat what I'm in the mood for, try to cover my nutritional bases, and measure everything.