Reasonable drive-thru choices?

Options
rfc002
rfc002 Posts: 3 Member
I spend my entire day in a different city than where I live, with no access to a refrigerator or microwave. What can I get at a drive-thru other than a salad with no dressing? Any drive-thru would be fine.

Thanks!

Replies

• eleonoreOU
    eleonoreOU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread is pretty healthy.
    Subway
    Quiznos
    Some stuff from Panda express
    Chick Fil A Chicken sandwich
    cant think of any more but there are pleeennnntyyyy
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    The chick fila chargrilled chicken sandwich isn't too bad, that's usually what I get for fast food. But careful if you're watching your sodium because it's kinda high.
    Subway has some good choices too
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A "better choice" drive-thru doesn't exist. What you need to do is invest in a really good cooler/cooler bag and ice packs and pack your own healthy meals.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Love the chick fil a grilled chicken sandwich, side salad and diet lemonade.

I think some of the taco bell stuff without beans, cheese or sour cream with the pico is relatively low in cals but probably high in sodium.

Have you thought about putting a little ice chest in your car with one of those freezable blue things and packing a lunch. most anything you get at a restaurant is going to be outrageous in something.
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    I'd say that most like grilled chicken sandwich without dressing or bacon or cheese is probably alright for fast food... Not something to eat everyday though
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Almost all fast food has way too much sodium. Some are fine calorie-wise, but aren't great as far as fat and sodium are concerned.

Is it possible for you to keep a small cooler with you so that you could bring a sandwich and healthy snacks?
  • annasid78
    annasid78 Posts: 99
    Options
    Taco Bell Bean Burrito. 350 calories. Tons of protien and fiber.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Wendy's has a great apple pecan chicken salad and small chili combo... I like that! I am also a Subway fan as well as Panera. All of these are high in sodium, so be careful!!!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you can stop at grocery stores and get ready cooked food. I just love mini-california rolls. There are baby bell cheeses, nuts, fruits, etc.. you can get pretty creative if you try.
  • Juleswithaplan
    Juleswithaplan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So I was curious about this too and what I did was enter a few fast food places like "Burger King" or "Jack in the Box" in the search field as if I were adding food and would play with that adding food to check calorie and nutritional content and then just deleted them after I was done jotting down a few healthier options to remember for later.

Some options I thought were pretty good:

Jack in the Box Chicken Fajita Pita
    Jack in the Box Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
    Burger King Veggie Burger

I'm sure other folks here will have great suggestions for you!

Jules
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    small baja salad and a small chili at wendy's... I only offer that one because my doctor recommended it. I also don't use the dressing, I just dump the chili on the salad. Other than that I have found it impossible to get something other than a salad.
  • ToddFo
    ToddFo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    They don't have a drive thru, but my fast food of choice is a Qdoba naked burrito. The pulled pork is great.
  • msseusse
    msseusse Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Chipotle Bowls, no rice and extra beans
  • Hakkiri
    Hakkiri Posts: 6
    Options
    flame broiler! chicken and veggie bowl!
  • easilychanged
    easilychanged Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of my favorites:

McDonalds
    fruit n yogurt parfait
    grilled southwest salad ( I just tried it with the low fat balsamic dressing today and loved the change!)
    side salad
    grilled chicken snack wrap (my favorite is with honey mustard)
    Burger King
    the #8 combo (grilled chicken on cabatta bread) with apple fries and a diet sode or bottled water
    apple fries!
    Wendy's
    side salad with fat free french
    grilled chicken sandwich

If I have more time, I LOVE Subway turkey on wheat, no cheese, and honey mustard with either a dannon yogurt or apples. Also, Subway makes awesome salads with tons of goodies to make your mouth water.

While I realize these may not be the healthies choices, life gets busy and these keep me under my calorie limit unlike the whopper and fries that put the weight on in the first place! Hope this helps :)
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I get a 6 piece chicken nuggets mighty kids meal with apples & water :)
    Only 310 calories and the chicken nuggets have 600mg of sodium but I usually don't go over on my sodium.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    this was just posted last week about healthy fast food breakfast choices: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/start-day-off-healthy-fast-food-breakfast/story?id=12964261

this is an awesome website where you can search for healthy food options near your zip code: http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/
    you can find fast-food restaurants (or other restaurants) and sort each restaurant's entrees by calories, fat, protein, etc.
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread is pretty healthy.
    Subway
    Quiznos
    Some stuff from Panda express
    Chick Fil A Chicken sandwich
    cant think of any more but there are pleeennnntyyyy

Panera CAN be healthy if you know what to order. I used to work there and to be honest a lot of the meals are way higher in calories than you would think. The low-fat soups are generally really good -- black bean soup with an apple on the side was a favorite. I recommend checking the website for nutritional information (or if you live in an area where they are required to show the calories on the menu, look at that) before you order. Something you might think is low-cal and healthy might not be!
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded an app on my iphone for RESTAURANT NUTRITION and it has over 200 listed that you can search through and it gives all the nutritional information. It's so much easier than having to get on each restaurant's website to try and find it. I'm sure it's available on other smart phones too.