Hey look at that fat girl running...

Options
Check out my blog... and get ready to laugh .... today was less than a banner day, but thank goodness I have a sense of humor!

Has anyone else had anything said to them... or am I just unlucky!

Replies

• karot32
    karot32 Posts: 46
    Options
    I don't know how to get to your blog.. can you copy &paste it into here?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
  • baby_bentley
    Options
    Check out my blog... and get ready to laugh .... today was less than a banner day, but thank goodness I have a sense of humor!

not just you i get things like that all the time... went to the gym and some teenage cheerleader decided it was funny to call me a baluga whale >.<
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm super upset reading that. If i were at the gym with you and heard them say that i would've def said something to them.
    You must be stronger than me cos i have heard more than my fair share of rude comments and it really hurts me. People are so rude and obnoxious and obviously oblivious. I could never imagine saying that to anyone, even when i was thin and saw over weight people running or exercising i was like "good for them!"

GAH people that make those kind of comments need to feel my wrath! :grumble: :explode: :mad:

PS i am super stoked that you stuck through it and tried to not let it bother you. :flowerforyou:
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Over summer I was at the beach and I saw a family (father, mother and small child) playing with a crab. I pointed out that they were in a marine sanctuary and it was against the law. They wanted to argue with me, but I walked away. Later, however, when I was near them (but ignoring them as I wanted time with my daughter) the father decided to start yelling at me, about how my daughter and I are fat pigs.

My reply, I laughed and said "oh no, ignorant loser doesn't find me sexually attractive", and my daughter and I cracked up. Honestly, it took the sting right out of his words, and put the whole situation in perspective. Why would I want a random person, who is nothing to me (and who pokes innocent wildlife), to find me attractive or thin? Answer: I don't care one iota, and I felt freed when I realised that and got on with my day.

You showed how strong you are, and maybe just maybe educated some people about overweight doesn't equal unfit. Congratulations on not letting them derail you. More power to you!!

Julie
  • CougNurse2011
    Options
    You are a ROCKSTAR indeed for running a 10k, putting yourself first, doing p90x, and blowing off the rude *kitten* people you encountered tonight....

Dont think twice about those people tonight. You go girl!!
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    Wow.
    Some people are just so RUDE!!

I remember walking home with my husband from the store one evening (bear in mind here that I'm partially disabled so I need a stick and the support of another person to walk) after getting something for dinner that night and there were about four teenage boys messing about on the sidewalk, cycling into the road, etc...

As we walked past, the older of the boys shouted out "DAMN! That is one fat-*kitten* white b**ch!!"
    Normally I'd walk away, but that night I was feeling a bit low anyway and this just really got to me.

So I turned round and shouted back "wow you're so cool shouting that to a disabled girl, wanna try saying it to my face?!"

Funnily enough, they didn't.

I don't get some people - just because someone is carrying a little more weight than they should it doesn't give them the right to shout insults at them.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Love your blog--and this would make a GREAT book title!! just saying . . . . :wink:
  • Stacebob85
    Options
    Oh gosh, if I had £1 for everytime someone said something like that about me, I'd be minted!

The worst one I got (purely because of the timing) was when I was on the way to a job interview. I'd picked a nice, smart, skirt and blouse outfit, had my hair up in a simple ponytail and was wearing sensibly low heeled shoes (didn't fancy falling on any prospective employers :P) So I'm feeling a bit nervous about the interview, but keeping a level head and feeling quite good about myself and my chances. That is, until a man (and I stress, a grown man, in a business suit, so not some stupid little kid or whatever) bellows "Oi fatty, you going for a job at the Sea Life Centre as a whale??" and bursts out laughing.

I managed to keep myself together and just walked on, and managed somehow to get through the interview, but as soon as I got home and started telling my Mum the story, I burst into tears. Partially due to being hurt by the comments, but mostly due to anger. I mean, whoopdidoo, so you're skinnier than me, does that make you a better person? Apparently not, if you think shouting abuse at people is acceptable behaviour.

I've kinda grown a thick skin to it now and can mostly deal with this sort of thing, though it does depend on what mood I'm in. But I have to salute you, as I think 3 comments in one night might've pushed me over the edge!
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,027 Member
    Options
    Oh my Goodness! You are a ROCK STAR!
    You have provided my inspiration for running my first 5K. I just started the Conservative Couch to 5k yesterday.
    Thank you and keep on Rockin'!
    Linda
  • BillieDeacon
    Options
    I had some teenage boys shout "ergh fatty do you want another cake" at me, and i wasn't even eating anything! :(
  • baby_bentley
    Options
    I had some teenage boys shout "ergh fatty do you want another cake" at me, and i wasn't even eating anything! :(

OMG! your totally no where near fat!!! you look great hunny some people just irk me with their rudeness ugh
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

OMG! your totally no where near fat!!! you look great hunny some people just irk me with their rudeness ugh

Haha thank you .... but ehh I am fat. I just hide it well... and am working on it now!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

Wow! Thats absolutely terrible... I would have punched them haha!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Oh gosh, if I had £1 for everytime someone said something like that about me, I'd be minted!

The worst one I got (purely because of the timing) was when I was on the way to a job interview. I'd picked a nice, smart, skirt and blouse outfit, had my hair up in a simple ponytail and was wearing sensibly low heeled shoes (didn't fancy falling on any prospective employers :P) So I'm feeling a bit nervous about the interview, but keeping a level head and feeling quite good about myself and my chances. That is, until a man (and I stress, a grown man, in a business suit, so not some stupid little kid or whatever) bellows "Oi fatty, you going for a job at the Sea Life Centre as a whale??" and bursts out laughing.

I managed to keep myself together and just walked on, and managed somehow to get through the interview, but as soon as I got home and started telling my Mum the story, I burst into tears. Partially due to being hurt by the comments, but mostly due to anger. I mean, whoopdidoo, so you're skinnier than me, does that make you a better person? Apparently not, if you think shouting abuse at people is acceptable behaviour.

I've kinda grown a thick skin to it now and can mostly deal with this sort of thing, though it does depend on what mood I'm in. But I have to salute you, as I think 3 comments in one night might've pushed me over the edge!

Wow that is terrible. I bet you looked absolutely wonderful... how terrible for a grown man to say that. And it probably ruined the interview for you too ... I hope you have moved past ... and have a great life to show for it, right?
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options
    I think people are just RUDE period. It stings more when its over an "imperfection" or what not. I work at a rec center in a rather afluent part of an already afluent town. One night a parent was having a tantrum b/c we wouldn't let her son break a rule. A rule that was meant to keep him from snapping his neck. She got so upset at the manager b/c she felt she was so much better than the manager. Mind you the manager is a high school "kid" but a very comepent manager. After offending many of the staff by treating them like dirt she eventually told the manager to "shoo" I hate how people think they can treat other like dirt just b/c they THINK they are superior for what ever reason:explode:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

not just you i get things like that all the time... went to the gym and some teenage cheerleader decided it was funny to call me a baluga whale >.<

Just look at her and say 'Your day is coming b*tch!' :laugh: She likely make poor food choices right now that will catch up with her when she gets older and then the struggle begins for her.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Kepp your chin up girl...YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR! Seriously people need to get a life!:grumble:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Karma will take care of those loser boys. You look fabulous, they have no concept of what 'fat' is, wait until that beer gut hit those losers. Just take care of you and the right guys will notice you, nothing like those losers shoudl be of interest to you anyway. :grumble:
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My Papa always told me that the people who say ignorant and mean things are the people that are really insecure with themselves and they pick on other people because it makes them feel better... Holding on to that wisdom is what got me through middle school and high school. It's so true.... After I'm done being hurt and/or angry about those people, I feel sorry for them.