Is a Rest Day really needed?

Options
I usually work out 7 days a week! I decided to take a rest day today but its killin me to just sit still! Does anyone else have an issue with taking there rest days? Can I do something else on my designated rest day? Feed back Please!!!

Steph

Replies

• Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 7 days a week! I decided to take a rest day today but its killin me to just sit still! Does anyone else have an issue with taking there rest days? Can I do something else on my designated rest day? Feed back Please!!!

Steph
  • metalpalace
    Options
    A rest day is totally needed to let your body's energy systems replenish and get back to normal levels. You will eventually over train and cause damange without them.

I get super antsy to because I have evolved into a fitness freak over the past year. Try stretching for a cool hour on your rest day or going for a walk. Just dont do anything that will wear yourself out. Avoiding a sweat is a good idea too or your energy systems may not totally replenish for when you begin the week STRONG again.

I personally take a couple days off a week because of the workout type that I do. Every three or four weeks I will take an entire week off in an active recovery mode so that I dont eventually overtrain.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I just read about this phenomenon in a study on rats....

The bottom line was that if the rats rested for 24 hours, their performance increased dramatically upon resuming exericse, however if they rested for more than 48 their body fat began to dramatically increase, and performance decreased.

I personally find that on a rest day, light cardio, and/or stretching is great. If you are doing strength training, the general rule is to rest any one muscle group for 24 hours.

The idea of a full day of rest, no exercise, is a good idea IMHO for the reasons Sebastian mentioned!

Embrace the rest girl!
    :flowerforyou:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanx for that !!!

i used to take breaks only once every 2-3 weeks, and since a month a started to take breaks every week and i feel extremly guilty, its horrible... i have a hard time letting go...

and this weekend i took BOTH days off,,, but i did that becuase we been doing sightseeing and been walking at least 4 or 5 hours both day. i dont think it was the same thing as a workout but after 5 hours of walking its hard to get on the stationary bike..

so i'll try to not stress as much and enjoy my days off,,, but i will hit the gym hard on monday and i know i will loveeeee it :)

may
  • Sexythighz
    Options
    Thanks for the response!!! I am in agreeance that a rest day is needed! I just don't know what else to do with myself when I dont get in my morning fix of cardio. I am definately going to take in more rest days! I usually incorporate a stretch but Idecided that today I would rest 100%. I definately don't want to overtrain. I can't wait to see how I handle my workout tomorrow being fully rested!

Thanks again!!!!:wink:

Steph
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think it depends what type of exc you do and how intense?
    I walk on the treadmill about 35-40min per dayt, and I do a yoga DVD for 35-45min....
    I don't go to the gym or do any other type of strength training/weights....is it still necessary to 'rest' one day per week
    I usually exc 7 days a week because I don't consider my work out that intense..

Kim
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need a rest day if your workout isn't that hard. My rest day is usually my yoga and walking day. I won't workout super hard two days in a row, though.
  • Sexythighz
    Options
    Great feedback! Thanks again! My workouts could be considered intense. Its a mix of cardio and weight training. Since Im doing a structured rotation It does recommend a rest day. What i was thinking was on my rest days doing stretching and ab work wouldnt be intense and could at least prep me for the long week ahead. Today I did manage to stay true to no workouts and took my rest day as recommended. I do agree with the fact that if the workouts are not majorly intense then it couldnt hurt to push 7 days a week. Some may beg to differ. I just felt a bit baffled as to whether or not it was necessary. Some people say listen to your body but if I do that i would never rest. I will try to incoporate a full rest day at least 2 times a month and then on the remainder rest days add in stretch, abs, or something easy like Yoga Booty Ballet.. I have 8 lbs left to lose and its moving at a snails pace.

Steph
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Hi

I think it depends what type of exc you do and how intense?
    I walk on the treadmill about 35-40min per dayt, and I do a yoga DVD for 35-45min....
    I don't go to the gym or do any other type of strength training/weights....is it still necessary to 'rest' one day per week
    I usually exc 7 days a week because I don't consider my work out that intense..

Kim

Generally if you are not crossing the anaerobic threshold a rest day isnt all too necessary. Aerobic workouts burn fat and glycogen for energy. When doing an anaerobic workout you are burning primarily glycogen and very little fat for energy. Glycogen takes 48 to 72 hours to replenish fully. You can do an anaerobic workout five or six days in a row, but take at least one day per week of not breaking a sweat so your energy systems have a chance to catch up, and take a week off of intense workouts every month or so, so that your systems can get back to normal levels.