tap water issues

Options
Anyone work (or live) somewhere where the tap water not only tastes bad but gives you mad gas? Oy - I am totally going to have to start bringing in 64 oz of water from home every day!!

Replies

• elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My tap water doesn't taste the best so I add a crystal light packet or lemon wedges to get it down. I' m not sure why the water would be giving you gas though.
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    Buy a britta filtration system!! They're awesome. I use one at home.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the taste of tap water. It tastes like chlorine. I put a little bit of juice in my tap water so I don't notice the taste.

Gas? No idea.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I wish it only tasted bad!!! Our water is from a well. It has tested biologically as okay...but even treated it tastes worse than bad -- juice will not cover it up. UNtreated it chemically tests: Iron 22 PPM -- should be 2.2 PPM as per US Gov standards. The pH is a 4 (orange juice is about 3.7 depending on the brand) -- it should be a 7 pH. It smells of sulphur and is orange in color thanks to the iron flakes you can see floating in it. Treatment brings the iron and Ph closer to the desired range, and lightenes the color. But to me it still smells funny and tastes funny. We buy a lot of bottled water!
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    Never really thought about water causing gas. But the water here tastes like crap. I dont blame ya for BYOB.
  • Tupelo64
    Tupelo64 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Water or any liquid will cause gas if you guilp it down or drink very fast.. ingesting air along with it! Try a filter.. invest in a good one it will save you money in the long run by saving you from buying bottled water.. and if it taste better you will drink it and it will be healthier for it. :) Honestly I want to get one too.. there are times I feel just guilty for all the plastic I am contributing! Plus I looked up my water source (It is listed on every bottle of bottled water) and my came from the public tap water.. just one state over! I have well water.. so really most tap water taste better than mine.

Good luck!
  • dawnelaine96
    dawnelaine96 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can't stand tap water. It must be filtered. So at home I use a Britta Water Pitcher and at work they have a filtered water system for us to use. It's awesome.
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    JJs25th isn't kidding, her water is awful! I feel guilty drinking her bottled water, but can't even take a pill with her tap water. It ever wears out her clothes in no time.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I’m in Southern California. There is no such thing as good tasting tap water here. We use a Brita Filter pitcher.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    I wish it only tasted bad!!! Our water is from a well. It has tested biologically as okay...but even treated it tastes worse than bad -- juice will not cover it up. UNtreated it chemically tests: Iron 22 PPM -- should be 2.2 PPM as per US Gov standards. The pH is a 4 (orange juice is about 3.7 depending on the brand) -- it should be a 7 pH. It smells of sulphur and is orange in color thanks to the iron flakes you can see floating in it. Treatment brings the iron and Ph closer to the desired range, and lightenes the color. But to me it still smells funny and tastes funny. We buy a lot of bottled water!

With a pH that low, there is a real risk of leaching lead out of the plumbing fixtures. And actually the maximum contaminant level for iron in drinking water in the US is 0.3 ppm.

I work for a water system and deal with this stuff every day. I know tap water takes a bad wrap sometime but I assure you that the majority of the folks that work for water systems want to produce the best possible product, but things like poor source water or budget restraints make it hard. We should all think twice before we pour something toxic down the drain or out on the ground because sooner or later in ends up in the water and someone has to pay for removing it.
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The water where I work is terrible. I haven't consumed enough to know if it would give me gas or not though. lol. All of us in the office decided to sign up for those culligan water bottles to be dropped off here. Much, much better...
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "With a pH that low, there is a real risk of leaching lead out of the plumbing fixtures. And actually the maximum contaminant level for iron in drinking water in the US is 0.3 ppm.

I work for a water system and deal with this stuff every day. I know tap water takes a bad wrap sometime but I assure you that the majority of the folks that work for water systems want to produce the best possible product, but things like poor source water or budget restraints make it hard. We should all think twice before we pour something toxic down the drain or out on the ground because sooner or later in ends up in the water and someone has to pay for removing it."
    [/quote]

The pH has always been a problem -- it literaly rots clothing if it is not treated. We do have a treatment system on it -- our third in 20 years. Of course that raises other issues depending upon the system used. And there is always on going adjustments and maintenance. And none of them have ever been able to make the water taste good. But it is at least useable for washing and cooking.

People with "city" water have no idea how good they have it. There is this misconception that a private well is free -- free of maintence and free of cost. I can tell you it is not. Anyone living with one, espeically in our area, knows that it must be treated for chemicals just to be useable. The treatment systems are not cheap to buy or maintain, and they need constant supplies. You learn that the weather will affect the quality of your water -- too much rain or not enough can change the chemical balance as it moves through the aquifer system. There is the concern over bio-contamination -- how close are the surrounding septics and are they functioning properly. And in prolonged drought -- will the well run dry; and if it does it costs lots of money to redrill a new one -- about $5000 to start. And redrilling in my area pretty much guarentees you will get the quality I have to live with.