starting new

I'm recovering from a bone marrow transplant for leukemia. Have gained 25 pounds from the steroids in the last few months. Dr said it's safe for me to diet now and I'm struggling to exercise and diet after nearly one year of medical challenges. Anyone have any tips for someone in my situation. My muscle tone is horrible and the steroids make me want to eat very frequently. I am trying to find low cal snacks to supplement meals. Any good suggestions?

Replies

• pjmroz
    pjmroz Posts: 2
    I'm recovering from a bone marrow transplant for leukemia. Have gained 25 pounds from the steroids in the last few months. Dr said it's safe for me to diet now and I'm struggling to exercise and diet after nearly one year of medical challenges. Anyone have any tips for someone in my situation. My muscle tone is horrible and the steroids make me want to eat very frequently. I am trying to find low cal snacks to supplement meals. Any good suggestions?
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Hi Pjmroz...welcome to this site...I hope you find it most helpful!

Fruits and vegetables are always a sure bet for snacks...good luck, I know other folks will chime in with suggestions soon.

For exercise I like to encourage women to try bellydance....it is for women of all ages, sizes and ability...it covers cardio and toning and it is just so enjoyable that you want to exercise...it is also spiritually soothing...there are several DVDs out there...I find the best prices at Buy.com and Amazon.com...let me know if you're interested.

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Slow and steady is the key. :happy:
    First off congratulations! You are a HERO! and I am so proud of you!
    :heart: :heart: :smooched: :smooched: :heart: :heart:
    Can you eat fruits and veggies?
    The steroids do make you hungry but that will start to wear away as you slowly return to normal.
    Fruit and veggies are loaded with the good stuff and are fairly low in cals.
    Carry fruit with you where ever you go. Mine was apples but now I am starting on an orange and melon kick.
    I also find it nice to sit and enjoy my food.
    Yes, even the fruit. One bite, Smell it, feel it, really taste it. Each bite should be regarded and considered.
    You will be satisfied longer and enjoy the process more. I have also learned that it is easier for me to remember what I ate.
    If I can not remember the next day what I had to eat without looking! I must not have allowed myself to enjoy the process.
    IF you are eating slower, you get fuller faster.
    Just a little trick that I learned.
    Good luck, Keep us posted, and
    WELCOME ABOARD!
    --Diann...
  • I totally understand I suffer from MS and I also take steroids when everywhere I not feel good. So I know your pain with that. But good about you can do something and you are in the right place alot peolpe are friendly and nice..So WELCOME!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

HAVE YOU TRIED SOME THE 100 CALORIES options?????
  • HI--I have MS too. I was diagnosed about 3 1/2 years ago. Figured if I lost a few pounds and stepped up the exercise, it could only help me. By any chance, have you tried Tysabri? My Dr. talked to me about it, and I'm skeptical. I've been taking Copaxone....Take care and good luck...:happy: