Patience is definitely a virtue I am lacking.

Options
Whenever I start a diet, I go crazy waiting for results and then quit after a really short amout of time.
How do I get through it? I can't stand the wait!

Replies

• chrissyb1985
    chrissyb1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I understand where ur coming from! Main thing is remember, you didnt gain it in a day and wont lose it in a day! Also weigh weekly, no daily. Makes it nice at the end of a week to see what you have accomplished!!! Feel friend to add me if you want :) Good LUCK!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    Try not dieting.

Losing weight and keeping it off takes a lifestyle change. Which means eating healthier all around. Diets dont work long term. Since once someone goes off the diet, they eat like they used to, or intake more calories and then gain the weight back.
  • Shoogibear
    Options
    Oh, that's what I mean. I don't do fad diets or anything, I just mean eating healthy and exercise. As opposed to eating poorly like I do when I get emotional or bored or anything.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I wish I could go back to your age now and shake myself because I didn't have patience for results then either.
    Up until about 2 months ago. lol
    I'm 50 now.

Don't be me at 50.

You gotta go through it to get to it.

Exercise that patience muscle. You have youth on your side and all the time in the world to get to where you're going.
    Just keep the destination in mind and keep plugging away no matter how long the road seems to be.

I'll paraphrase a quote ... most people quit just before they would've seen the results they were after.

Take action! Waiting is an action!

Be well and best of luck to you!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I go crazy when I see `no progress`(though there really is!).

Make teeny tiny goals. I make `goals` of 5lbs - that way it doesn`t take TOO long, and seeing your successes make you push harder. Also, take measurements as well as weight :)
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    For me, it has been a complete mindset change. Instead of working out and eating right for results and to lose weight, I am instead doing it to live a healthy and long life. It just so turns out that side effects of this new lifestyle is losing weight and looking better.

Take a step back, and try to frame what you do in a few different perspectives. When you come up with one that makes you feel better, whether or not you are losing wieight, you will still feel good about the work that you are putting in.

Good luck! And feel free to add me as a friend, if you like!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Here's what worked for me. I made a commitment in several areas. I surrounded myself with a new eating and exercise lifestyle so it was everywhere. Fill your fridge with healthy food. Throw away all the junk. Get a good personal trainer and commit to one month of sessions (not the ones at your local gym). Put some money out there. Buy new water bottles, a mat, a heart rate monitor. Invest in DVDs. Re-arrange your house so you have a workout space. Knock a wall out if you have to. jk. When I did stuff like this, it was all there the next day and became more real to me.

Cute name btw. haha
  • Shoogibear
    Options
    Thanks, you guys have been very helpful. I will keep these suggestions in mind!:smile:
    4856418.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You're only 19. Chances are your poor eating habits that creep up on you is from stress. Try taking yoga, or just some mellow out time...maybe go for a run with relaxing music. And don't stress on trying to look like a super model. Few people have that gene and those who don't but look like super models probably paid a lot of money to get that way.

Or, could be you're eating too much unhealthy processed foods without realizing it. My 19 year old falls into that category.
  • tamaracorine
    Options
    I totally know how you feel. I'm at that point right now, but what people keep on telling me is that you need to wait. It wont happen overnight and if it does you're probably not being healthy about it. Make this a change for your lifestyle. Make it forever, not just to lose weight.

Don't make it about numbers on scales. Make it about being healthy.

Does that make any sense?
  • sudha336
    sudha336 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. But there is something that worked for me.
    Breakup your goal to short term goals or even daily goals. every day think of what you need to achieve today for example, "I will eat healthy today and exercise for atleast 30 minutes". Make sure you log all your calories and exercise everyday.
    So, dont think that you need to loose 20 kg, but just 2 kilos in the next couple of weeks.
    Once you have accomplished your short term goal, you will feel good and this will give you the motivation to keep going.