advice please! Too Tired to Exercise!!

Options
Iv been really motivated to lose weight and get fit since joining MFP but the last week or so iv found myself so exhausted from the moment i wake up to the moment when i go back to bed and even then i can seem to fall asleep. I dont seem to have it in me to get up and work out, even cooking this week has been a chore and i have to admit i am a cooking fanatic so its very unlike me to not want to be in the kitchen. even my home is getting untidy because i just dont have the brain power to move my body off the sofa.

Are there any foods or suppliments or natural methods which can wake me up a bit and give me a bit more energy so i can move around more in the evenings when i get home from work at 5:30? i dont want to be on a proplus high. i just want to feel human again and sleep properly like i was doing at the start of the year! i need motivation and im worried all my hard work is going to be wasted if i dont snap out of this slump :o(

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You might want to talk to your doctor. I was exhausted like that last year and had a Vitamin D deficiency. I'm doing much better now.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I find that vitamin B helps alot, but as the person b4 me said; talk to ur dr. (maybe ur anemic) good luck
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    When i'm down and out, i always have my ipod playing with my dance/upbeat music. makes me wanna get up and dance and move lol......but definately take into consideration the vitamin d........! happy dancing!
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel like i should have wriiten tabout this topic as i have been exactly the same for near enough a week now :(

for the past 5 weeks everything seemed to have fallen into place, i was eating better and had got into a routine with exercise. This week I have had problems sleeping and it seems to have esculated from there, my eating is all over the pkace and i have little to no energy at all, even getting up the stairs seems a big deal!!

My doctor has suggested that i up my calorie intake to see if that helps. He also suggested that my iron levels might be low hence the tiredness. You can buy supplements to help this.

Hope you feel better soon, feeling like this is awful :( x
  • turnerl79
    turnerl79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you been getting enough calories?
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling this lately so I took this week off to rest. So far I still feel rundown so I'm scheduling an appointment with my doctor next week. I feel like it's probably a Vit D deficiency as a lot of people in my area have that because of the long, cold dark winters we've had the last few years.
  • turnerl79
    turnerl79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you been getting enough calories?

I would speak with a doctor and a dietician if I were you.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i had the same thing last month. February blahs.
    I took vit D and just let myself sleep a bunch
    it worked
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Iv been really motivated to lose weight and get fit since joining MFP but the last week or so iv found myself so exhausted from the moment i wake up to the moment when i go back to bed and even then i can seem to fall asleep. I dont seem to have it in me to get up and work out, even cooking this week has been a chore and i have to admit i am a cooking fanatic so its very unlike me to not want to be in the kitchen. even my home is getting untidy because i just dont have the brain power to move my body off the sofa.

Are there any foods or suppliments or natural methods which can wake me up a bit and give me a bit more energy so i can move around more in the evenings when i get home from work at 5:30? i dont want to be on a proplus high. i just want to feel human again and sleep properly like i was doing at the start of the year! i need motivation and im worried all my hard work is going to be wasted if i dont snap out of this slump :o(

Aww Honey! Im partically in the same Situation as you. I am tired alllll the time, but is bc i have a screwed Schedule, lol 4 days of the week it's 5am-11:30 pm (awake and go to sleep --combo between work and school) but i had to push through my BIGGEST problem which i had SAD (Season Affected Disorder) and it really is the lack of Vitamin D that ppl on here have said. Look at my Profile pic (im in the Pink) That was taken 2 weeks or so ago and I had just gone tanning and taken vitamin D tablets a couple days before that. I have been feeling FANTASTIC, like i cant find a more better word than that. Pretty much you have to find the exercise that literally calls your name to invite you to come play. like my favorite Turbo Jam! She's fun, its an amazing workout and you want morrrrre. you have to think of it as play time, you time, escape time whatever you need to, but dont think of it as "exercising" even Zumba is a fun and peppy workout! Add my if you like i promise to keep you on your toes :-)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Iv seen a dietician, and i eat well (i think) i dont carbo load and i have been sticking to my calories of 1200 - 1400 nearly everyday - i go over when i literally cant be bothered to cook and my partner makes us something without calorie consideration. i dont eat many sweet things so i know im not having a sugar crash or from fast food either.

I will try and get my hand on multivitamins to see if they perk me up. i think its more than likely the whole diet and fitness thing, my body feels like its run down maybe because iv changed my lifestyle? Even though iv changed it for the better! im even typing this through tired watery eyes. i think i may book a long weekend off work and just rest properly without having to wake up early.

Are there any good 'energy' foods that i could try?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You sound overtrained to me.

Can you tell me what voulme of exercise you have been doing and what type. In other words how many minutes do you spend a day exercising, how many times a week, over how many months and is it weights, steady state cardio, HIIT or a combination?
  • u04lj7
    u04lj7 Posts: 5
    Options
    Maybe try something like Peppermint tea which aids digestion, it might help if you are feeling sluggish! I think oily fish is also a good thing to keep your brain healthy, keep u alert! Nuts and stuff are good for that too. I think overall herbal teas are a brilliant way to feel fresher! They take a bit of getting use to but worth it ;)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You sound overtrained to me.

Can you tell me what voulme of exercise you have been doing and what type. In other words how many minutes do you spend a day exercising, how many times a week, over how many months and is it weights, steady state cardio, HIIT or a combination?

Im not a heavy exerciser, i have a treadmill at home and use it about 3-4 times a week on 3.5 - 4 for 30-40 mins then i do some sit up reps and use my dumbells for some reps, then back on the treadmill. I dont hate exercise because i know how it makes me feel after iv done my workout - GREAT!! but i literally have no energy for anything. even doing my hair and makeup these days is a chore and i can be quite high maintenance so this is really un natural for me.

Weekends i like to walk up to the shops and have a stroll but otherwise i sit at my desk all day long.

I think ill try some Vitamin D suppliments, what does that actualy do for u?
  • hswhite
    hswhite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last post - you may have "overtraining syndrome" if you have been working out alot, especially with the low calorie count....the weekend off sounds like a good idea and I would definitely check out the vitamin D level; low vit d can cause profound fatigue.

...ok I just read your reply; I don't think overtraining is the problem, but you still may not be consuming enough calories with the level of activity you are doing.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

...ok I just read your reply; I don't think overtraining is the problem, but you still may not be consuming enough calories with the level of activity you are doing.

Yep, pretty much agree.