Exercises to do with a sore back

BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Grrr, I was making great progress alternating a beginner's 10K training programme, 30-Day Shred, gym and swimming. Then after my first session in a long time on my exercise bike followed by a day working at home (on probably not the best chair for posture) I woke up yesterday morning and my back had "gone".

At first it felt like it needed to click, so I did some Pilates stretches, but now I'm pretty sure it's muscular. My back muscles feel really tight and there's a twinge like it's about to seize up REALLY badly when I take a step down or a long stride.

I'm currently taking ibuprofen, but it's still really sore just sitting at work and especially getting up from my desk.

I don't want my programme to slip too much. Can anyone please recommend any aerobic and toning exercises I can do to keep "ticking over" until I'm back in the game? I'm going out tonight for a meal and drinks and I was really hoping to have some exercise calories in the bank!

I know swimming is the usual answer for bad backs, but as it's muscular and I do mainly front crawl, I'm worried I'll make it worse at the moment.

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    swimming my love...
    best your gonna get..good luck x
  • denannedw
    denannedw Posts: 11 Member
    I would definately saying swimming when I hurt my back it was the best thing as you dont put any pressure on it.

If you want to do any biking I would suggest a rucumbent bike where your in a sitting position, this will make your back more comfortable.

You could try basic yoga also but I would suggest possibly a sports massage to work the muscle as it may be trapped and thats why you are getting the pain.

Hope that helps. If your sitting in work all day make sure you get up and walk around for a bit, make sure your office setup is comfortable.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Actually swimming will use your back A LOT especially if you swim front crawl, especially your traps, lats and romboids, as it involves a lot of rotation.

I would suggest you pop too Boots or supermarket (I checked you're in the UK like me) and buy a tube of Voltarol Emulgel. The active ingredient is Diclofenac and I find it very effective with sports injuries. Also slap on some heat, and leave well alone for a couple of days. It'll soon come right again.

I pulled my back by being a bit too optimistic on the low row at the gym, but it was fine after a couple of days of rest & Voltarol.

:flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Thanks lovely people, great advice all round, I'll follow your suggestions.

I borrowed a pillow for my lower back at work, which seems to help, and maybe I'll stick to walking (with short strides!) until I'm a bit more recovered.

Of course, what I really need is a nice young man with warm hands to give me an oily rub-down :wink:
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    My husband has back trouble and has found that swimming is actually one of the worst exercises. His doctor said its because you actually use your back a lot while swimming.

He found spin bikes (no standing) and stationary bikes best for bad days.
This discussion has been closed.