Sugar in Foods

Options
Hi All

I have only been on MFP 6 weeks and although I have done well by loosing 12 lbs I find it very difficult to keep to my ideal (as defined by MFP) sugar intake of just 32 units? of sugar. For instance had half a grapefruit this morning, 8 units, then had 15 green grapes as a snack mid morning 60 units (can this be true?) Wonder if anyone one else has the same problem and any advice as to how to minimise sugar intake over the day?

Replies

• AnnaleisJ
    AnnaleisJ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hmm.....I am having a similar dilemma too (my sugar intake on here is only 24 so I do stuggle sometimes too) but from what I have read on websites, if it's natural sugars from fruits etc then it's usually ok. It's when we eat foods with added sugars in at high quantities that you should try to cut down on these.

That's my understanding anyway :o)
  • KLiK3xs
    KLiK3xs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had the same thoughts/concern. I tried the "search" feature and was able to read many posts on sugar intake. Lots of good info and ideas.

Many said not to worry about the natural sugars in fruit, to me though to much sugar from anything can hurt.
    There is also a Loooong post that has lots of eye opener information.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    as long as it isnt refined sugar then it is ok....the goal is to aim at eating as much natural unprocessed food as possible
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Sugars - even fruit and dairy based ones - result in an insulin reaction in your body. Raised insulin levels lead to increased cravings, feeling of hunger and reduced weight loss. Many people produce so much insulin that their bodies are unable to absorb it all. As a result they end up with excess insulin in their blood streams. Excess insulin in response to a meal converts protein, glucose, and dietary fat to stored fat. Excess insulin removes fat from the blood and transports it into fat cells. Excess insulin forces the body to burn carbohydrates for energy instead of stored fat. Elevated insulin levels inhibit the release and utilization of stored body fat for energy. Elevated insulin converts and stores excess glucose as fat. Elevated insulin can be caused by too many carbohydrates in a meal and not enough protein, essential fats, and fiber. Too big of a meal can elevate insulin.

I'm not saying don't eat foods with sugar - fruit and dairy based ones - as ms. erica says, refined sugar (candy, chocolate, breads) are the worst kind primarily because they lack other nutrients that may help reduce the insulin reaction to the sugar, like protein and fibre. You can look up the research on low GI fruits - GI means the impact to the body when trying to digest said food.

Personally, I enjoy fruit daily, but have a few rules around them....LOL Of course....1. I always pair my fruit/dairy with a protein (think: apple & peanut butter, cheese & hi-fibre crackers) 2. Try and get the fruit/dairy in as early in the day as possible. It is easier said than done though...when I was following these rules I was losing steadily...now that I'm slacking a little, not losing as much. I think they do make a big difference. I also limit my fruits/dairy to max of 2/day combined because of the impact. I'm insulin resistant though, which means insulin does less to stabilize my blood sugars, so I have to produce more of it to have any effect so I'm really sensitive to sugary foods, whether natural or refined.
  • scoops13
    scoops13 Posts: 31
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I'm sorry I don't have any real answers for you. I can tell you that I am over on my carbs and sugars everyday, primarily because of fruit. I have a terrible sweet tooth and this is the only way for me to avoid junk. Even though I have been over on these things, I stay below my calorie mark and I have still lost 13 pounds in 8 weeks which I think is pretty decent. Good luck to you!