Starvation Mode is a Myth.

Options
13»

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    admittedly I didn't read the whole thing as this is kind wordy... but I did get as far as reading the link it's copied from.
    i'm hesitant to believe things from a 'blogspot' address.
    Too often people look at calories as the enemy... but we all need them to survive.
    Moderation is key - but I'll stick to asking my Dr for advice on that front.

YES!!! THIS IS NOT A LEGIT SOURCE! PLEASE DO BETTER RESEARCH BEFORE SAYING STUFF!

Here is a report from the National Health Association:

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

Surely that is a "legit source"?

No they're not a legit source OP. They are a group that promotes "fasting" & a "plant based diet" and their board of directors does not have one legitimate nutritionist on it.
  • SlimingChris
    Options
    Wow people give her a break.. like she has stated before. She copied and pasted this.. It is just a convertation starter.. There is no need to bash her. This should be a place of friendship and motivation.. not hate.
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight by not eating 1200 calories, and going into "starvation mode". BUT, you will NEVER maintain it, if you change your diet in the slightest. So basically you'd end up eating next to nothing for the rest of your life.

not true for everyone

I agree, it's not true for everyone. In fact, for anorexia patients, when they start eating more, their metabolism kicks right back in and starts burning away those calories, because their body needs them. Often, they can go back to a normal diet, and maintain a normal, healthy weight. One reason for massive weight gain after a very low calorie diet is the desire to binge eat and acting on that desire. That's one reason why it's dangerous to go on a very low calorie diet for an extended period of time, let alone the risk of nutrient deficiencies and improper organ functions. Also, typically you cannot stay on a very low calorie diet healthily, because you're weight will eventually go below the normal, healthy range, causing the need for you to up your calories anyway and gain back some weight. But, even then, you can still to a relatively decent amount of food and maintain a healthy weight. Your metabolism typically returns close to it's normal range, unless you've been depriving yourself for a very long time (a few years, let's say). It's gets tougher then. All things aside, though, if you can stay healthy, maintain good nutrition, and feel satisfied on less than 1200 calories a day, and your doctor says that you need to be below that...then I guess I don't see anything wrong about it...seems weird for me to say that, but there are stranger things in the world :)
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight by not eating 1200 calories, and going into "starvation mode". BUT, you will NEVER maintain it, if you change your diet in the slightest. So basically you'd end up eating next to nothing for the rest of your life.

not true for everyone

I agree, it's not true for everyone. In fact, for anorexia patients, when they start eating more, their metabolism kicks right back in and starts burning away those calories, because their body needs them. Often, they can go back to a normal diet, and maintain a normal, healthy weight. One reason for massive weight gain after a very low calorie diet is the desire to binge eat and acting on that desire. That's one reason why it's dangerous to go on a very low calorie diet for an extended period of time, let alone the risk of nutrient deficiencies and improper organ functions. Also, typically you cannot stay on a very low calorie diet healthily, because you're weight will eventually go below the normal, healthy range, causing the need for you to up your calories anyway and gain back some weight. But, even then, you can still to a relatively decent amount of food and maintain a healthy weight. Your metabolism typically returns close to it's normal range, unless you've been depriving yourself for a very long time (a few years, let's say). It's gets tougher then. All things aside, though, if you can stay healthy, maintain good nutrition, and feel satisfied on less than 1200 calories a day, and your doctor says that you need to be below that...then I guess I don't see anything wrong about it...seems weird for me to say that, but there are stranger things in the world :)

I totally disagree that you will automatically gain all the weight you lose as soon as you start eating normally. I am living proof. No studies or stats. After I had my 2nd son, I weighed about 175 pounds. (I'm 5'2"). I went on a low calorie diet (probably 700-800 calories a day.) I weighed about 125 pounds by the time I went back to work. That was almost 22 years ago. While I dieted, I also did cardio. No weight training - I was too broke to afford a gym membership.

I'm now 44 years old. There are a few reasons I'm battling with my weight at this point - perimenopause, I travel for a living, so I sit much of the day, and depression. The first problem is out of my control. The second problem is offset by alittle more cardio and weights per week. The last problem, depression, surfaced after my youngest went into the Navy. I did three things...sleep, eat, and cry. I was able to get it under control and lost the weight I had gained for 2 years. Gained it all back when he deployed. I'm now dieting (not as low calorie wise as before), working out, AND getting counseling for my depression. Hopefully the three pronged approach will work for me. Long story short, I think a low calorie diet can work IF you can control your eating once you have lost the weight. If you binge eat, you WILL gain it back. I don't care HOW you lose it. AND you HAVE to do some strength training to maintain muscle mass. But mostly, people who lose weight on a low calorie diet have to understand that this is only a temporary fix if you don't modify your eating habits. Anyhow, just my two cents worth.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    lol
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

not true for everyone

I totally disagree that you will automatically gain all the weight you lose as soon as you start eating normally. I am living proof. No studies or stats. After I had my 2nd son, I weighed about 175 pounds. (I'm 5'2"). I went on a low calorie diet (probably 700-800 calories a day.) I weighed about 125 pounds by the time I went back to work. That was almost 22 years ago. While I dieted, I also did cardio. No weight training - I was too broke to afford a gym membership.

I'm now 44 years old. There are a few reasons I'm battling with my weight at this point - perimenopause, I travel for a living, so I sit much of the day, and depression. The first problem is out of my control. The second problem is offset by alittle more cardio and weights per week. The last problem, depression, surfaced after my youngest went into the Navy. I did three things...sleep, eat, and cry. I was able to get it under control and lost the weight I had gained for 2 years. Gained it all back when he deployed. I'm now dieting (not as low calorie wise as before), working out, AND getting counseling for my depression. Hopefully the three pronged approach will work for me. Long story short, I think a low calorie diet can work IF you can control your eating once you have lost the weight. If you binge eat, you WILL gain it back. I don't care HOW you lose it. AND you HAVE to do some strength training to maintain muscle mass. But mostly, people who lose weight on a low calorie diet have to understand that this is only a temporary fix if you don't modify your eating habits. Anyhow, just my two cents worth.

So many quotes! Anyway, yeah, when I gained weight it was because of depression and binge eating...so I'm taking the three-pronged approach too. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • Nailrep
    Options
    Thanks Blue! You too! :flowerforyou:
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say someone may or had starved to death, I'm trying to remember someone who starved to health and fitness :wink:
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say someone may or had starved to death, I'm trying to remember someone who starved to health and fitness :wink:

Well said.
  • Nailrep
    Options

I DO know a guy who was a long distance runner. Died because of a heart issue having to do with excessive running. He didn't have an eating disorder. We was a high school track coach. (I know this is the exception - I'm just messin' with ya!!)
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Wow people give her a break.. like she has stated before. She copied and pasted this.. It is just a convertation starter.. There is no need to bash her. This should be a place of friendship and motivation.. not hate.

Thank you for your support. :flowerforyou:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

not true for everyone

Thank you for sharing your story with me/us. I will take your advice and add some strength training.
  • Nailrep
    Options
    Thanks for that! And if you dip below 1000 calories to drop your weight, make sure that you reintroduce calories slowly back into your diet. Example - add 100 calories a day for 10 days. Than add back another 100 calories for 10 more days, and so on. Your metobolism will speed up quickly, but you have to bring it up slowly. Once you get to your maintenance calorie level, you will be good to go!