Rice!

Options
Hi,

Really random question, I love rice BUT it says on the back of the pack that 100g is around 114cal (depending what brand ect) but it doesn't say if thats cooked or uncooked! The reason I ask is because I weighed out 100g of the rice cooked it with a small amount of onions, peppers and mushrooms. This made quite a big amount!

It just seems to good to be true if 100gs uncooked (swells to about 300gs once cooked) can only be 114 cals!!!! (obvously not including the added veg).

Any thoughts?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    whats the brand, and other facts for it?
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    im pretty sure its uncooked....
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    I have just checked out the food database that 100g COOKED = roughly 130 cals & 100g DRY = roughly 350 cals
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Along these lines, and I'm sorry to feel like I'm budding in. But, does anyone have suggestions on how to cook it well? I HAVE to use the minute rice because I can't make the other kind, and even then sometimes it doesn't come out. It's SOOOO much cheaper to buy the regular rice, and we switched to brown rice, so I really want to be able to cook it :)
  • sthorp1179
    sthorp1179 Posts: 104
    Options
    I generally use basmati rice when i'm cooking and i always use one cup of rice per person to two cups of boiling water/stock, put the lid on the pan and leave it on a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. I also put in a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil which helps to stop the grains sticking together. If I'm doing a savoury rice I use chicken stock and put in some lightly fried veggies at the end when the water has absorbed. Good luck!
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    Along these lines, and I'm sorry to feel like I'm budding in. But, does anyone have suggestions on how to cook it well? I HAVE to use the minute rice because I can't make the other kind, and even then sometimes it doesn't come out. It's SOOOO much cheaper to buy the regular rice, and we switched to brown rice, so I really want to be able to cook it :)

I bring mine upto boil then let simmer for approx 10mins then switch off heat and leave for another 10/15 mins with a lid on to steam for remainder.
  • tummer
    tummer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Get a rice cooker! I wasn't going to buy one (my thought is why by something when you can just cook it in a pan). Well my Mom has one and when I was visiting her she made awesome rice with it, so I'll be buying one soon.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I use a rice cooker in the microwave and it comes out perfect everytime.

I use jasmine rice and add water. Then I use low sodium chicken boulion or just throw is some rosemary or thyme and cook in the microwave. It is steamed perfectly. If I want rice pilaf I just add one beaker (came with the rice cooker) of orzo and the chicken boulion. It really has a lot less sodium than boxed rice.

I have a pampered chef rice cooker, but I think the ones at walmart are probably just as good.
  • lbissett79
    lbissett79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Here is a tried and true Cajun trick I use to cook rice. It has never failed me or anyone else who has tried it.

1. Put however much rice into a pot you would like to cook.
    2. Add water to the pot until the water line is to the first bend on your middle finger, from the finger tip, above the rice line (middle finger should sit on top of the rice while measuring, don't dig into the rice)
    3. Bring water and rice mixture to a boil
    4. Cover with lid and turn to lowest heat your stove will go for 20 minutes

Makes perfect rice every time no matter the rice or pot you are cooking in. Guaranteeeeeed!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    the nutrion label on food gives the caalories of the food as it is in teh package. So the nutritional lable on uncooked rice is for uncooked rice.

I also have a brown rice that you add a lot of water, bring to a boil then let boil for 15 minutes. then you strain off the excess water.