Dumbell only workout

jmzhale
jmzhale Posts: 186
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I am wanting to start adding in some wight training to my exercise and I like the simplicity of just using dumbells. I know there are several dumbell only programs out there but wasn't sure what weight I should start at, # of sets/reps, and what-not. I'm not wanting to build crazy amounts of muscle just fill in the areas I lose fat in, mostly chest and arms.

Replies

• binsylad
    binsylad Posts: 99
    Awaiting eagerly for responses as I am on the same bus!!

Good Luck.

Mike / England
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Great routines with dumbells and you will train like a MMA fighter.

http://www.gsprushfit.com/gsprushfit-ultimate-home-fitness/
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    The way you will add more muscle is not only by lifting weights, but also by eating protein. If you want to maintain muscle, 1g of protein per 1lbs of your weight. If you want to gain larger muscles, 1.25 to 1.5g of protein per 1lbs of your weight.

For routine: If you go with reps from 10-12, you may want to remain at moderate weight to where the last 2-3 reps are difficult to complete this will help you get muscular. If you want to build more muscle, 8-10 reps - weights should be heavy enough for it to be difficult to complete last 3-4 reps.

Only way to lose fat and get more muscular is to watch what you're feeding your body (this is 80-90% of results). Some people think if they kill themselves at the gym, then they'll see results, but it's not the case. Proper form with weights and training 2 body parts per day (so 4 times per week lifting weights) will get you the results you want, IF the proper nutrition is there.

When I want good ideas on a exercise, and want to make sure I do it right, I google the exercise and normally get a few videos with explanations.

CHEERS!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Dumbells are a good workout. I use them all the time. Whatever weight you decide to use, aim for a weight that you hit failure before your 12th rep if you can. It takes a long time to build crazy amounts of muscle, and To get huge, it usually requires a caloric surplus. Most people start with sets of 3 for about 10 reps. When I started a few years ago I followed a plan where I hit upper body one day, two days later lower body where the sets went 12reps/10reps/8reps/6reps/12reps, then another set of 12 working the same muscle group. The idea was to increase the weight every set until the last 12 then aim for what you lifted on your set of 8 reps. When you can hit 12reps on that one, increase the weight on your next workout.
  • Von203
    Von203 Posts: 11 Member
    Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait and Corps Strength by Paul Roarke are two great books for short money. Both are dumbbell/kettlebell focused and can be done in the basement/garage gym. As far as reps/sets, it depends on what your goals are.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Monday, I did a full body circuit using dumbbells only and it was a workout...let me tell you.

Here's what I did:

Goblat Squat
    Mountain Climber
    Single-arm dumbell swing
    t-pushup (I couldn't do this yet, so I did dips)
    weighted ab twist
    dumbbell row
    dumbbell side lunge and touch
    pushup position row
    dumbbell lunge and rotation
    dumbbell push press

You do each exercise for 60 sections. Give yourself about 15 secs to get set up for the next exercise. I gave myself just enough time to set my timer on my phone. After you've completed all, rest for 2-3 minutes. Repeat circuit. I only did it twice - I was killed. But I want to be able to do it three times.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    The very basic principles to weight training are as follows:

* Endurance requires being able to perform 1-3 sets of 12-15 reps of one particular exercise to fatigue

* Strength requires being able to perform 1-3 sets of 8-10 reps of one particular exercise to fatigue

* Muscle Mass requires being able to perform 1-3 sets of 6-8 reps of one particular exercise to fatigue

Example of reps and sets re: strength:

One (1) bicep curl = one (1) rep.
    Eight to ten (8-10) bicep curls = one (1) set

1) To gain strength (which means to gain slightly more muscle mass than you have) you want to find a weight that you can comfortably lift/push/pull for 3 sets of 8-10 reps while feeling more and more fatigued so that by the end of the third set you couldn't possibly lift another rep unassisted.

2) To gain muscular endurance use a weight that allows you to lift/push/pull comfortably for 12-15 reps while feeling more and more fatigued so that by the end of the third set your muscles feel like they're ready to conk out.

3) To gain muscle mass (bulk up) you first need to determine your one rep max. A one rep max test is used to estimate the maximum weight you can lift/push/pull SAFELY for just one rep for any exercise. The following link is the best one rep max online calculator that I've found: http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

Hope this helps. If you want or need further clarity please feel free to send me a message.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    take your time to find the right weights. Find a plan you like, I do a 2 day split, so i hit half my muscles on one day and half the other, I try to do the split 2 times a week.

Print out a paper copy of your program with places to fill in your reps and weights. Start off with weights that you wont injure yourself with. Do 3 sets of 10. After those sets ar done, decide how much you want to lift next time you do that exercise and write it down. That way you know what to lift next time you show up.

So say you start doing curls with 15lbs weights, your reps might look like this;

day1: 15lbs, 12, 12, 12 too esy so take it up
    day2, 20lbs, 10, 10, 12 still to easy
    day3, 25lbs, 10, 10, 10 you are feeling it but can still breeze through the 10 reps, you decide to do it one more time
    day4, 25lbs, 10, 10, 10 yup, too easy, on to the next
    day5, 30lbs, 9,10, 8
    day 6 30lbs, 10, 10, 9 you found the weights you should be at

then keep it at 30lbs until the last 2 reps of each set start to get easy.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    scoobysworkshop.com

Awesome website. He has a fantastic beginner's weight workout. There are a couple bar exercises but I just substitute dumbbells because i don't have a bar.
This discussion has been closed.