Do you eat b/f excercise in the morning?

Options
For those who excercise early in the morning, do you eat a little something b/f you start? Seems unhealthy to me to excercise on an empty stomach when you haven't eaten all night but on the other hand, it's hard to excercise right after eating.

Replies

• Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    For those who excercise early in the morning, do you eat a little something b/f you start? Seems unhealthy to me to excercise on an empty stomach when you haven't eaten all night but on the other hand, it's hard to excercise right after eating.
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    I think there has been several discussions on this before. i prefer to not eat at all. i have read several articles that says u burn more stored calories on an empty stomach yet others say if u eat rite when u wake up, it boost your matabolism. i think the agreement was to each is own and what ever makes you feel better and depends if u have the energy without eating.
    hope that helps. good luck
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The only mornings I might workout are Saturday and Sunday and yes - I eat something. I eat a chewy granola bar. Its not much but it will hold me over. I'm the kind of person within 30 minutes of waking up, I'm starving so I doubt I could make it without eating.
  • battykatty2002
    Options
    i exercise on a sat morning, I tried not eating anything and i couldn't perform as well as usual now
    i always have a ceral or granola bar, i'm always ready for something when i get back, but it means i get a better work out,
  • kate25
    Options
    I eat a little bit before I exercise. Just enough to not feel hungry. And then have my real breakfast after I'm done exercising.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have to eat. If I don't eat enough, I feel lightheaded and just generally crummy. My breakfast is generally light anyway--just a bowl of cereal--so I eat and then go.

Good luck!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Most of thre time I will juice it in the mornings. If I have a lot of food on the tummy, I get heart burn and feel so tired after I exercise. If I do eat, I wait 2 hours then work out.
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i've noticed a huge difference in my abilities and endurance if i have just a banana or piece of toast before i run in the am... anything more and the belly gets way mad at me! i also noticed i don't want to gorge myself with a huge breakfast after working out if i eat something small first... oh and a nice medium glass of water to help with the dehydration factors too...
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I eat a piece of toast or half a cliff bar
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out in the morning (which is more often than not) I have to have a little something or I burn out half way through my workout. :noway:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It depends on my workout. If I am running for an hour, no, maybe just some water or Gatorade. Long runs (12 miles +) maybe something light like a toaster waffle 30 minutes before I start to hold me over
    Tom
  • arjames82
    Options
    I don't eat, but I have a protein shake before my morning workouts.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Generally if you have extra fat to loose you can burn up to three times as many calories from fat from a light aerobic workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for a half hour. If you cross the anaerobic threshold on an empty stomach then that is VERY bad because instead of burning fat you will be eating away muscle tissue to extract protein for energy.
  • Fab140
    Options
    Awesome. I have a few spare tires to lose, so I think I'll take your advice, sebastianbach! Cardio in the morning on an empty tummy and lift in the afternoons. :flowerforyou:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Awesome :smile: Be sure to share your results in a month. Always listen to yourself and your dr before anything that I have to say too :smile:
  • Fab140
    Options
    Awesome :smile: Be sure to share your results in a month. Always listen to yourself and your dr before anything that I have to say too :smile:

I certainly will let you guys know how it goes. :happy:

And no worries, I'm an avid believer in listening to your body and soul above all other things.:flowerforyou:
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your replies!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I have a banana or a bunch of grapes in the morning before I exercise. I also drink a bottle of water.