Sweethearts small group discussion #1 (closed group)

Options

Replies

• chewysmommy
    Options
    Cathy,

Don't worry about going over by 150 cals. It is great that you tracked even though you knew it was a bad day. I have the bad habit of not tracking when I know I am going to have a bad day. I have to remind myself that I didn't develop my unhealthy eating habits in a month, so there is NO WAY I am going to fully develop my healthy lifestyle in a month.

I started about a month ago. I feel a lot better, I think some clothes are fitting better, and I am loosing some weight. I am definately better off today than I was before I started. There is a quote that I keep reminding myself, "If you don't quit, you will suceed!" It doesn't mean I won't stumble or even fall flat on my face. I might even mean occasionally I run in the wrong direction. But I am confident that if I keep pursuing my new healthy lifestyle earnestly, I WILL suceed.

Well today I went to Chick Fil A. I was so excited bc a grilled chicken sandwhich is only about 300 calories. I asked them for extra tomatos and pickles. I did not get butter on the bread or mayo. I also had a small fry.....not a medium or large. That for me is a big step!!!

Well, have a good rest of the week everyone!
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kate and Megan! Today was a much better day. Way to go Megan on the small fries and having grilled chicken. I love Chick Fil A - of course I love lots of things LOL I was so tempted not to write it down but realized not writing it down doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Kate, I'm glad to hear your week turned around! It is tough to have people around who like to eat and are used to my eating the "old way". They are usuall way to willing to give us excuses. My hubby tries to eat right but it is really hard for him and somehow he seems to think if I will eat it with him it makes it better. Great job realizing you don't have to eat the same things AND passing on the Trader Joe's pancakes. I have never had them and sounds like something I better not try - ALL I need is another food to crave :-)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I will be checking in on Monday.
    Cathy
  • maricari
    maricari Posts: 133
    Options
    Well in the 8 weeks I have been MFP and focused on healthy living, this has been the toughest for me. I started out up 3 lbs likely due to time of month. The end of the week and an upper respitory infect slowed me down and added rx's are not helping weight control. So the first four days I was keeping calories under control and excercised every day. The last three days, bye bye. So up 1.8 in all but now this med causes water rentention and constipation. Over the next week I should see a turnaround at every level and I am up for it. love love love the post I got this morning, she is so good with her words. I will use it as a daily inspiration this week. I need to chanel all that good stuf. Thanks for the support and congratualtions on your victories.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    MariCari: If you gained from being sick (like alot of us) then you will be able to lose it without problem. When you are feeling better, make good choices and get your activity in and you should be right back to where you were...

I did not make good choices today -- I came in above my calories... did not get exercise... wow bad day!
    But tomorrow is a new day!!
  • katimari
    katimari Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey all - should I start a new topic or should we just keep using this one? Loved Mary's topic.

I'm weighing in now with BAD news. I gained 2 lbs...I'm hoping that is just because I weighed in at different times of the day, but it's probably because of the bad start. Hope you all did better.

I did manage to log all my food for the week which was my goal.

My goal this week is to stop negative self talk!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Hey all - should I start a new topic or should we just keep using this one? Loved Mary's topic.

I'm weighing in now with BAD news. I gained 2 lbs...I'm hoping that is just because I weighed in at different times of the day, but it's probably because of the bad start. Hope you all did better.

I did manage to log all my food for the week which was my goal.

My goal this week is to stop negative self talk!

I wouldnt count this weight - you cant weigh at different times of the day, your weight will fluctuate quite a bit.
    You need to weigh in tomorrow morning and count that one instead!
    Im ok with this topic ... but its whatever anyone else wants to do!
  • cathyv0409
    Options
    I agree with keeping this topic because it already shows up under "my topics" :laugh:

I also agree with Emmaleigh that you should weigh tomorrow at your "normal" time. I can gain 2 pounds after having my morning coffee and yogurt on some days.

Way to go, Katie with meeting your goals!!!

Maricari, sorry this was a tough week for you! I hope this week is kinder to you.

My goal last week was to exercise 30 minutes a day for 5 days. I think I only exercised 4 days but did some catch up exercise when I was off on Sunday and met my weekly minutes goal so I guess you could say I met 1/2 the goal. This week my goal is to drink 80 ounces of water EVERY day. This doesn't include coffee, tea or other drinks. I was down 3 pounds when I weighed on Sunday. I weigh every day due to fluid retention to see if I need to take a lasix (and because I probably couldn't help myself anyway) but Sunday is my official weight that I track.

I will check back in a few days to see how you all are doing.
    Cathy
  • maricari
    Options
    I checked in yesterday but did not list my daily/week goal. My goal this week is to establish and new meal/eating pattern. Instead of 3 meals and two snacks (usually when I have fruit) I am changing to a 5-6 snacks/samll meals. I have been reading about insulin, glucose and the glycemic index of foods. I believe this will have favorable impaact based on what I am learning about blood sugar. I have recently had blood work with done and took an insulin test to understand how my body is processing sugar. By incorporating more small meals closer together the blood sugar will not quickly spike high, stay to high to long and then sudenly crash. That's the plan.
  • chewysmommy
    Options
    Maricari-

Eating smaller meals is a great goal I think. I am trying to do that as well. I am trying to keep my big meals to lunch and leave dinner as a smaller meal.

One of my goals this week is to get up at 6:45 each morning (or before) this would allow me about 45 mins of being up before my boys get up. I really want the personal time for me to just pray and think about my goals for the day. I WOULD LOVE to get to the point where I could get up, have personal time each morning and exercise before my children got up. That way I could spend the rest of the day focusing on them more. But I have to take smaller steps, and for me getting up earlier than I have to is a step.

I will let yall know if I lost anything when I weigh in tomorrow night.
  • cathyv0409
    Options
    Maricari - Great goal!! Does keeping your blood sugar more level help with weight loss or are you doing this for overall health? Just curious.

Megan, give yourself that me time. I love having a little time to myself in the morning before everyone else gets up. Good luck getting some good rest so you are able to wake up to have that time.

Katie, great goal and one I need to practice more. I bet you will feel better "all over" when you accomplish this goal!

Have a great day everyone. I'm headed to the gym since I won't have time tonight.

Cathy
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Whoa... where is the group guys?

I struggled a but on Friday ... but overall I think I did ok.
    I am retaining alot of water from dinner out on Wednesday but I am not freaking out about it ... just not worth it!

Tomorrow ... I dont know what my plans are
    6.5 on Sunday morning!
  • cathyv0409
    Options
    It has been a busy week but I have managed to get some exercise every day which is something I struggle doing. Some days it is the gym and others it is a dvd at home depending on how late I work. I have an exercise (stability) ball staring at me right now but need to figure out what I'm doing on it.

Have a great weekend everyone if I don't talk to you before Monday!
    Cathy
  • maricari
    Options
    At business conference through weekend. Will have to check in on Monday night
  • maricari
    Options
    At business conference through weekend. Will have to check in on Monday night. Hope everyone is trucking along and doing well.
  • cathyv0409
    Options
    Hello friends! I decided to get the topic for this week going tonight since I don't know what time zone you all are in so you may be up and around earlier than me tomorrow morning. I hope this week has been kind to you in every way. While I was thinking about our theme for this week, my mind kept going back to the inspirational message Mary sent out last Monday. I hope everyone took her advice and spent some time thinking about what a wonderful person you are in so many ways.

I would like to take Mary's lead and ask you to reflect (and share if you are comfortable doing so) how you have changed since you started on this adventure to a healthier you. I'm not necessarily talking about just physical changes although we would be glad to celebrate those with you but maybe you have noticed a change in your thinking or how you relate to people around you. If there is something you struggle with, feel free to tell us about that too. Maybe someone in our group has faced a similar obstacle and can help you through it. So our theme for this week is SUCCESS!

I will post tomorrow with my weekly weigh in and my goal for the week as well as my report on last the goal I set last week. Here is wishing you all a fantastic week!!!
    Cathy
  • cathyv0409
    Options
    Good morning!

I was down 3 pounds this week YAY! I was a little bummed because I SO wanted to hit the 40 pound mark but gave myself a little lecture and I'm better now.

My beginning weight was on 11/23/10 but as of 1/4/10 was only down 12 pounds so that is when I really consider myself "getting started". That was when I decided I didn't just want to lose weight but be healthier too. When I stop to think about it there have been a lot of changes in the past two months. Some of them are:
    - I can move so much easier even though I am still "obese" When I stand up I don't have to (always anyway) wait for a minute before walking to make sure my knees aren't going to give out
    - I can wear my wedding ring again
    - I have gone from 2-3 minutes on the elliptical to 14 minutes
    - I'm down 2 sizes in jeans (they are tight but I can wear them) :bigsmile:

Some of the mental changes are:
    - I want to cook healthy
    - I don't crave the unhealthy foods nearly as much as I did 2 months ago
    - I actually LIKE water and starting to realize when I'm thirsty rather than hungry

My goal last week was to drink 80 ounces of water a day. I met the goal and most days it was 96 to 112 ounces!

My goal this week is to do some type of exercise every day whether it is a DVD at home, the gym or working on my stability ball.

Have a great week!
    Cathy
  • mbrotnitsky
    mbrotnitsky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi My Sweethearts,

Duh - sorry I have not been participating in discussion or cheerleading. Still learning how to naviagate in the app.... didn't realize I should be going back to the topic section to find our little group.

Cathy so proud of you for your weight loss.

Hmm my success is just doing it. My mind is made up and I refuse to go back. Oh boy do I have my moments but I am determined.

Like you Cathy - my goal is to exercise everday this week. Whether it be 15 or 45 minutes I will do something.
    My goal last week- I was not sucessful in completing. 45 minute workouts were hard for me to get in. However I will just do something this week everyday and not worry too much about the time.

Mary
  • katimari
    katimari Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Okay check in! I'm down the two pounds I gained last week so that is great. I also was very successful in cutting out the negative self talk although I must say it wasn't a bad week for it :).

I love the topic this week. Ways that I have changed. Well, I started running to try to get healthier and I always considered myself a non-runner - a person that could NEVER run. Now I know that I can and that kind of opens up a different way of thinking for me. I guess I don't put as many restrictions on myself.

I have also started appreciating my body more - I mean, man, it does amazing stuff and I have been so mean to it all of my life in both the way I treat it and think about it. I've improved, but it is something that I am still working on.

What I am struggling with now is a sort of envy I guess you would call it. I have this tendency to look at other people's lives and think they are doing everything perfectly and I am not. It's really a negative behavior and I hate it. I totally can relate to people who have struggled, but people that look like they haven't - well it's just not there. So what I am going to do this week is work on releasing these types of envious/destructive feelings. I will take a few minutes each morning and wish one of these "perfect" people good things in life. It's not exactly related to weight, but it's an unhealthy behavior that I think stems a lot from being overweight in childhood and always wanting to be more like someone other than myself. My weight loss is part of something bigger - a healing of myself.

On another note - just want to make it clear - you only need to post once a week. I don't want anyone dropping out because they don't have enough time. Once a week is totally fine.
  • cathyv0409
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Mary, I agree that just doing it is a great success! I don't think I have ever honestly tried to lose weight before when my mindset was to live a healthy life. That is a huge one for me too!

Kate, Fantastic that you are running! It is great that you are doing that when you didn't think you ever could. I love that you are at a point you can wish the "perfect people" good things. Wow! What a healthy outlook. I understand what you mean that it stems from being overweight as a child and wanting to be like them. If I had back all the time in my life I spent thinking If only....(whatever it is I thought they had that I didn't) I would probably be young again :bigsmile:

You all have a great rest of your week!!!
    Cathy
  • mbrotnitsky
    mbrotnitsky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sucess story- I put a pair of pants on today and they are entirely tooo big - shirt is hanging off? I think I must have lost inches. Will have to measure this weekend. Feels good to be in control.

Cathy I must say I am a grazer- so the snacking or eating small portions all day really works for me. I never feel hungry and if your like me and have a stressful job (always grabbing for something to stick in my mouth LOL ) it works.

Great minds think alike because I've started doing it too. I've just been putting most of it on the snack diary part.

Oh forgot to mention- In January I started using my treadmill. I could not do 15 minutes without holding on or becoming spent. Success ----I have been able to do 30 minutes on an incline of 2 at 2.5mph without holding on. Happy, Happy, ME

Kate I may end up like you and realize I can RUN too. Great JOB...

Come on Sweethearts we can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Successful Moments to All OF YOU- JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary