Who are Cheat Days For?

Options
Question: Should you have a cheat day if you are still trying to reach your goal? Does that defeat the purpose? or should cheat days be reserved for those who are at a maintanence point ih there weight?

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I found that they completely stalled my progress, and I work too hard to throw it all away for a few hours of gluttony. Once in a while (1-2 times a month), I go out to eat and allow myself to eat up to maintenance, but never over it. Since I began following this plan, my weight loss has been on target.
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i have cheat days so i dont feel deprived and then binge. it's also nice to have a break now and then and i usually have even more motivation after, and do better.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. They just don't work for me.

If I want the food I will exercise the calories off first.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I do have cheat days but they are more for others then myself. It is hard on my family to be restrictive all the time. if they want to go out to eat they don't like me stressing about it. yes it does slow me down some but I'm still learning how to incorporate my life style change to a sustainable level for the long term. This is more then a diet so for me i have to figure out how to balance eating and working out so that the need for a cheat day isn't needed because my habits have changed enough that a single day is not going to mess me up in the long run.
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    i let life take care of cheat days for me. if i'm having an especially awful day i might allow myself a few more calories. or if i meet with friends i'll allow myself to eat out without worrying as much.

i don't really cut out bad things from my diet completely, but instead i have them in much smaller portions, significantly less often.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i "cheated" through my weight loss, but not often. it gave me extra motivation to work harder.

"will work out for food"
  • shezza737
    shezza737 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days as such. Normally the day i weigh in. But i don't go majorly over the top, will maybe just have something different for dinner that i wouldn't normally have. Or perhaps a meal out where i don't overly watch my calories.
    I find this actually helps me, keeps me motivated as well, as I am straight back on things the next morning.
    It hasn't hindered my weight loss in anyway either. I have only properly been following MFP since January though so maybe this is why as I am fairly new.
    I can imagine the less you have to lose, the hader it will be to have a cheat day.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days, I have free days. A day labeled as cheat makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. A day labeled as free means that I have worked solidly for a bit and I need time off. I have a job that goes from 830 am to 500 pm Monday through Friday....Saturday is not a cheat day, I should be allowed to relax.

SOOO...I have free days. They have toned themselves down as I have gotten better at all of this. I find that a free day is pretty good for me since I undercut my calories for the majority of the week.
  • Smokechic
    Smokechic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what you consider a "cheat". When I know I am having family or friends over for dinner, I don't worry too much about paying attention but I make sure that I have fruits and vegetables and that the meal is healthy...maybe more than I would normally eat but still healthy. If there is dessert, I try to make that a decent choice as well. Guess I'm not actually cheating but may go a little over my calories with healthy choices. The times I do cheat is if I crave something...I allow myself that food and eat well the rest of the day. I still try to work it out in my calorie goal. Main thing is too not deny yourself something you really want and to do it in moderation.
  • Gert08
    Gert08 Posts: 3
    Options
    Once a week I choose one meal to "cheat". I do not cheat all day, just for one meal. I find that I save some calories every day during the week and that helps me not feel too bad. When I cheat I still record everything I eat. I then eat even better and exercise more after I cheat to try and make up for cheating.
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    I agree that I don't call it "cheating" I log it as food I eat, I work it off and move on. :)
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal on the day I weigh in but it is only the 1 meal and not an entire day's worth of meals, so I have my regular breakfast and lunch but then my evening meal I don't count - I don't tend to go mad but I might make something that is not low fat e.g. tomorrow we are having lasagne - the only low cal part of that is the cheese in the cheese sauce. Mind you I have found that even on cheat days now I eat a much, much smaller portion than I would have done in the past. It has not so far affected my weekly weight loss, if it started to be a problem with that I would rethink it!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I have cheat days but they are few and far between. Every now and then you need to let yourself indulge in a planned treat that way you don't end up binging unexpectedly. I try to keep my indulgence to one item/meal and I still try to make sure its not too crazy. Usually the day before and after I try to eat extra better and workout a tad more to make up for it. Going off track for one day, actually just one hour if you think about it, won't kill ya and it won't stall your weight loss as long as your smart. Don't be one of those people who because they blew it with one item on one day say screw it to the rest of the week.

Enjoy your treat. You earned it :)
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I think a better approach would be a "cheat meal" or a "cheat snack" than an all out cheat day. For me - when i would allow cheat days - i would stay under my calories all week long and exercise my butt off, and then allow a cheat day (and i can seriously pack in some food) and because i'd eat so much that in one single day i'd eat back more calories than i had burned all week and undo an entire week's worth of work. And then the next few day's i'd feel SO guilty it was so hard to get back on track. And needless to say - i'd make NO progress and all that work went down the drain. So I am no longer allowing cheat days because i know i can't handle them responsibly. I will allow just mini cheats like a really good meal once every two weeks, or a nice small treat here or there. But not an all day binge! Some people can have a cheat day and do just fine because they just eat a little more than they normally would - but for me - it became a contest of how much i could cram in my face in one day. LOL. So i guess it is somewhat individualized from person to person. Can you handle a cheat day in moderation? Will you just have a few treats and get right back on track the very next day? Or will it negatively affect you longer than when the day is over? You have to do what works for you.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. With my plan 'all foods fit". I don't count calories. I'm just learning to use food to fuel my life while I enjoy eating it. I dieted for years and it never worked for me. Now I've lost 67 pounds in the past year without dieting. :) So if you compare what I was doing before to what I am doing now I guess every day is "cheat day" :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself unhealthy allowances. It has always lead me in the wrong direction. Now that I'm living healthier I'm into healthy homemade treats. I'm searching the web for receipes and making myself a cookbook. If I ever have the urge in the future I will be able to refer to my book. I haven't had any so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • barberella
    barberella Posts: 199
    Options
    Absolutely not. It's bad enough that I still consume alcohol while doing this, I don't need to indulge myself in the same foods that got me heavy and unhappy in the first place. Sure, I have cravings for some stuff, but like any drug, cravings pass. I just remind myself of the rewards that not giving into craving will give me. Rewards such as how I will look in a new outfit to fit a new, smaller size, how good I've been feeling since I started this, how I feel my age and not older and worn out. So giving into a "cheat" day..aahh phooey. I can have those when I am in "maintenance" mode...
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have the very occasional cheat day--mainly to keep my sanity.
  • Swilson87
    Swilson87 Posts: 139
    Options
    I know I'm probably a little different in my thinking, but I don't call them cheat days. My wife and I have designated Friday as date night, and we usually go to a restaurant, or cook something very tasty, and probably a little fattening at home. My view is that I don't want to diet the weight off. If I diet the weight off, what happens when it's gone? Will I never eat a fattening foods again? Not Hardly. So I eat now like I'm going to eat for the rest of my life. Heck last week I had a few slices of pizza mid-week, and a soda or two. Moderation is the key. If you're eating healthy all day everyday, a strong craving for something tasty can be satisfied. Just don't go over board with it. I still dropped 6 pounds last week, so that let me know that things are going well, pizza and all.
  • ebonybliss
    Options
    Studies show that an OCCASIONAL cheat day like once a week or every other week is actually good for your weight loss. It causes your body to work harder to get rid of the extra calories and in turn causes your metabolism to increase!!! It also helps your mood and from being deprived from foods. Most weight loss plans like weight watchers, jenny craig and others give you extra points of free foods so you can have those cheat days. It becomes an issue when you want to keep cheating and you lose self control. I actually had a cheat day recently last week and i woke up the next morning starving.. that is how I knew it worked. It's okay with self control and not all the time.