Potatoe!!!!

Options
Recently Ive had the urge of wanting a bake potatoe. I dont know why???? I sort of think its because people say you should'nt eat them, But why??????? Ive been real successful with my weight loss of 33lbs in 7 weeks!!! Please help me!!!! Can you all give me reasons not to eat just ONE!!!!

Replies

• vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason why you could not eat a baked potato.... add some veggies and low fat cheese to it or some chilli and you have a super meal!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about whether you should/shouldn't, but I personally eat baked potatoes. I just make sure that I don't load it with stuff (I just put a small amount of butter on mine). I figure that it's at least something good for me compared to other junk I used to eat.
  • beautymkt
    beautymkt Posts: 60
    Options
    There isn't one reason that i can think of. As long as your carb count is good for the day. Be careful with what you add to the baked potato, such as cheese or sour cream or butter and the quantity. Have fun eating it!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    They are low fat and low calorie. If you have one small potato with a small amount of low fat sour cream, there is no problem. You could also top it with steamed veggies and a low fat protein like ground chicken and have a delicious lunch! Another good option is a baked sweet potato with just some butter and cinnamon - no sugar - on it. YUM.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I personally think you can have one. Not a monster one and really watch what you put on it! NOT loads of butter or sour cream.
    I restricted almost everything like that when I first started my journey, but now after months and months, I know I can pretty much eat whatever as long as I make better choices about it and DO NOT eat it on a regular basis.
    So, I say have one..........
    If you like salsa, that would be good on top. And low cal and fat free!!!
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I eat plain baked potatoes all the time - skill and all! They are good for vitamin C, iron and fiber. They are rich in potassium and low in sodium. I sometimes eat mine with laughing cow cheese. :smile:
  • meggersd
    meggersd Posts: 55
    Options
    eat the potatoe!
    the trick is to not slather it with butter, salt ,pepper, sour cream, cheese, etc.
    I usually have a baked potatoe once every cpl weeks to kill the craving because I could eat them everyday!!!
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you want a baked potato why not have it for a dinner some night? I enjoy them with some grilled chicken/tuna and vegetables. I'm not sure if the baked potato you are talking about is different to mine - I don't consider them unhealthy or not allowed. I eat potatos and it has not stalled my weight loss. I just wash a basic potato and stick it in the oven for 45mins til the skin is crispy. Yum!

(Of course, if it were the old me I would be eating them stuffed full of cheese and baked beans....Haven't had one like that in nearly a year!)
  • lexis0911
    lexis0911 Posts: 50
    Options
    I crave potaoes sometimes too... and it's ok to eat them!! I add a little butter and some low fat sour cream to mine...

enjoy!!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine, its just what you put on them that isnt... Try some lean ham and low fat cheese. Yum :bigsmile:
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because of the toppings we add. I think if you had a small/medium baked potato for your lunch or dinner, as a meal, maybe that'd work????? (I like a little low fat italian dressing, doesn't take much to add zing to it)
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    keep on eating 'em girl! They are grown straight from the earth and that means its good for ya'. Its the overabundance of toppings that kills them. I love me some potatoes!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I had a baked potato last night. I don't do butter and sour cream. Just alittle salt and pepper. Was delicious. I eat baked potatoes at least once a week and have had no problem.
  • jammyone
    jammyone Posts: 80
    Options
    Firstly, well done on your weight loss and well done on resisting the urge so far!

While one potato isn't going to make you fat, I really wouldn't recommend eating them if you're trying to lose weight. They're full of carbs (which is what makes you fat due to insulin release). As I said it won't make you fat but it might make you hungry sooner. I'd recommend eating something high in fat with it, maybe normal fat mayonnaise perhaps?
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    I personally would eat the potato. Potatoes are a great choice as a starchy food. They are a good source of energy, fibre, B vitamins and potassium. And although potatoes don’t contain much vitamin C compared to other vegetables. Just don't put too much butter etc on top.
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    I personally would eat the potato. Potatoes are a great choice as a starchy food. They are a good source of energy, fibre, B vitamins and potassium. And although potatoes don’t contain much vitamin C compared to other vegetables. Just don't put too much butter etc on top.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A little ranch dressing in a baked potato is yummy. :tongue:
  • mhoch
    mhoch Posts: 50
    Options
    I just had to reply to this one. I LOVE baked potatoes so much and the only reason that potatoes get a bad rap is because of the bad foods associated with them ( chips, french fries, loaded baked potatoes with cheese bacon and all kinds of crap!). But potatoes are really not bad. They are relatively low calorie and are pretty filling. Its a whole food, unprocessed, and have vitamins, minerals, and fiber (especially with the skin).

So I say as long as you put good toppings on them and boil or bake them, potatoes are ok to eat. I eat them all the time!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    go for it - Im Irish so theres no way on earth I would ever leave my beloved potatoes - like everyone else has already said I just dont load it fulof coleslaw and cheese etc now, a tiny bit of butter to soften it up and I eat mine with fish or chicken as a dinner, I always make sure Im within my allowance for that day too!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the reason is because if you can have a baked sweet potato then you will be much better off. Way more nutrients in a sweet potato than a regular.