How long to see results?

Options
I've just started working out and am wondering about how long to start seeing results reflected on the scale and also in how I look. I walked on my treadmill for 60 minutes for the last 3 days in a row, and the scale isn't budging yet. I realize this varies for everyone, but what have you experienced? I know I need to stick with it and the results will come....I would just like to see them SOON!! Haha. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tam

Replies

• facadewithdrawlz
    Options
    For me, I started last wednesday and I have already lost three pounds. I noticed the scale move a tad after about three days! Good luck. Maybe, you need to try different workouts, too. Or the treadmill even longer!
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    It really depends on how you are eating. The bottom line is if you are burning more calories than eating through diet alone or diet and exercise you should see some type of weight loss each week. So is should almost be immediate.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'm short (5'2) so I see results a little quicker it seems (or the loss seems to make more of an impact). I take pictures at the beginning of every month (all angles). In the first month I lost 5 lbs and could see a difference comparing pictures (especially in my back and butt). In the second month I lost 5 lbs and the difference was very noticeable (mostly in my waist).

I would HIGHLY recommend taking pictures and measurements. The scale isn't always your friend, but a tape measure doesn't lie. I also find that pictures allow me to look at myself more objectively. Looking in the mirrior I can perceive myself as being smaller/bigger than I actually am.

Best of luck in your journey.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything for the first 3 months: as you can see by some other responses, every "body" is different :wink: The one thing I did was focus on working out, toning, strengthening, firming & eating healthier rather than just "lose weight". While I've only lost around 20 lbs since December 2009 I look SO much better & feel 100% better than I have even when I was a 20-something year old!
    As someone else mentioned, take measurements & pictures. Set up a day each month (or every 2 weeks) & take a picture in the same clothes/location/pose and measure your key body points (they're different for everyone, but to give you an idea, mine are neck, chest, waist, hips, thigh & I'm adding upper arm as well now). I really wish I had of started doing that sooner so I could "see" my results, but I have a pic on my profile from Feb 2010 (with the Cat in the Hat) and then the pic of me a year later at Universal again (posing by railing in black long-sleeve t-shirt) where you can "see" that change.
    Find your niche, but don't get stagnant in your workouts or food choices as your body may get used to it & stop working as hard to achieve the goals your want.
    Good luck on your Journey & know that there are many others traveling the road with you :flowerforyou:
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You'll see results, sometimes it takes longer for some than others. I took pictures this time and I am going to take weekly pictures in the same clothes until I reach my goal. I want to see how much I'll have changed (hopefully)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Do not get on the scale everyday, it takes time to see results. You will drive yourself nuts and lose your motivation. Pick one day a week and weigh then. As for actually seeing results in the mirror, you would probably notice it faster if you took before pictures so that you have something to compare to. I believe I lost a good 20 - 30 lbs before I really noticed a difference, but then again I wasn't looking for it either. Remember, you didn't put the weight on over night, you aren't going to lose it over night.
  • Tamintx
    Tamintx Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the posts! I really appreciate your responses! I'll keep plugging away... :smile: