Too Much Weight for P90X

Options
I'm about 80 lbs overweight right now... is it too early for me to start P90X? If I start now will it just make me thick? I want to be toned and lean.... HELP!! :) I wish I could tag a couple of my friends in this post... specifically 1fitmamaoftwins, shreddingit and Biokinetic.... if they don't respond, I'll probably ask them directly. They are my go to pros! :)

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    You can do P90x at your own pace - just depends on how YOU feel whilst exercising. Give it a try? Its hard for me - but I don't do it everyday. I did it everyday for 41 days, and now just sporadically. I mix in some 30 minute work outs to stay on track when the hour long duration of P90x doesn't fit my scheduled that day. I realize we need to make time for it, but I'm a single mom too with two jobs, so sometimes I can only handle 3 minute workouts.

Best to luck to you and stay strong!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    P90X is an Extreme workout...there is also a version called P90X LEAN...which focus on tonin' and leanin' out your body.

If P90X is to much for you at the moment. Try Power90...I'm becomin' a Power90 Graduate this weekend...and so far I have lost my midsection & 21 lbs to date.

I start P90X LEAN this upcomin' Monday - with a few other people....Join us :smile:

It just depends how 'fit' you are really. I have seen success stories of people droppin' alot of weight with P90X...

Just google it - there's tons out there...best wishes in whatever you chose to do...!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have to say that A I don't think there is anyway you are 80 pounds overweight( your body type depends on your healthy range). And P90X is really long( not that it isn't great) I can never finish b/c of time not b/c it's too hard. I just saw that you have kids and it is hard sometime to commit over an hour to any one workout program, I would say start with something shorter like the shred, i am doing Turbo Jam and I love it, have lost 4 inches in 9 days!( and 3 pounds!)
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do P90X and when I started it last year I was 110 pounds over weight I did it through twice then I stopped in July for some health reasons. and now I am back doing it. I am doing the classic version.
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    Modify modify modify. You can do it, just do your best and listen to your body.

There are two schools of thought. Get in shape first, so you can hit it with everything you got. Or conversely start with P90x and work up to hitting it hard. You'll probably have to do more than one round if you chose the latter, but many people do that anyway.
  • jdrop
    jdrop Posts: 24
    Options
    P90X is very intense, but like others have said, you can do it at your own pace.

I don't think it's ever too early to start getting in shape.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm about 80 lbs overweight right now... is it too early for me to start P90X? If I start now will it just make me thick? I want to be toned and lean.... HELP!! :) I wish I could tag a couple of my friends in this post... specifically 1fitmamaoftwins, shreddingit and Biokinetic.... if they don't respond, I'll probably ask them directly. They are my go to pros! :)

I think you can start it as long as you do what you can. Don't get me wrong, the exercises are hard but they are as hard as you want to make them. Like @Knanns said, just modify until you can get better.

Also, let me dispel the myth that you will get "thick" if you weight train. It s is VERY hard to put on muscle mass especailly for women. SO unless your taking testosterone, eating 3,000+ calories a day and weightlifting for hours everyday, you're pretty to not get thick. For example, Hugh Jackman was eating more than 6,000 calories a day for his role as Wolverine to put on big muscles.

The Lean program would probably work best at first though since it is a little less intense then the classic version. I hope this helps.
  • terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    P90X allows you to work at your on pace and shows you how to modify the moves to reduce the strain on your body. The trainer (Tony Horton) also tells you to take short breaks (15 -30 sec) between moves if you need to. Start it and listen to your body . . . if it is too much than stop and switch to a different program. I do know people that are 80 lbs over weight that are doing P90X.

I am currently doing a P90X/Turbo Fire hybrid. I am on day 47 of the Classic version of P90X. There is also a Lean version which has less strength training days and more cardio days. Even if you do the Classic version you can modify the strength training to build more lean muscle. It's your choice. Each tape last about an hour (plus 15 minutes if you do Ab Ripper X). Yoga is much longer but also worth the effort.

Personally, I don't think an hour of your time is asking too much for improved health and stamina. I get up at 5am to do my workout so I can spend time with my husband and daughter in the morning and after work.

Good luck with your choice.
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, you guys are awesome! I can't wait to try it!!!

Good to know that its not likely that I'll get "wolverine-esque" lol I'm a naturally thick girl, but wanting to be as lean as possible.

Ideally - Kim Kardashian with a little less on the bottom and a little more on top?? MAYBE!!!!!!!!!! :)