* 1 small tomato, diced finely
* 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
* 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* Kosher salt
* 4 pieces pita (whole wheat or regular), cut into quarters
* Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a food processor, combine the onions, garlic, and parsley until finely minced.
Remove to a large bowl and add in the beef,
tomato, garam masala, pine nuts, and lemon juice. Season with salt. Mix with your hands until well combined.

Arrange the pita quarters on a parchment-lined baking sheet (or on a rack over a cookie sheet (so the pita doesnt get soggy.... Fill each quarter with about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture, flattening it out so the filling is even. Brush each quarter on both sides with a little olive oil. Sprinkle salt on top.

Bake for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through. Pitas should be browned and crispy.

* I make a dip of (lowfat plain greek yogurt, garlic powder, lemon and dry dill) .

Replies

• scgma
    scgma Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    sounds really yummy..couple of questions..what is garam masala, where do I find and do you know the calorie count???
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    SO going to try these.. sounds delicious!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump:flowerforyou:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    sounds really yummy..couple of questions..what is garam masala, where do I find and do you know the calorie count???
    garam masala is a spice blend--usually found in Indian or mediterranean food stores or in the international section of large grocery stores. Ingredients vary, but it's basically a dry spice, so the calorie count is little to nothing.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    SO going to try these.. sounds delicious!

and you are totally going to invite me over when you do right right? lol.

these sound wonderful
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    This sounds AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I do not know the calorie count... but I use the leanest ground beef I can find... and you can use low cal/carb pitas.....
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    This sounds delicious. I'm part Lebanese, so I wonder if I have had something similar to this before :smile:
  • jamgal789
    jamgal789 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...sounds delish. Will have to remember this flavor combo for the future.
    (I love garam masala...and pine nuts.)
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    so, i made this tonight, i was feeling like a burger, and thought it would fit.

i didn't have pine nuts, and because i kinda felt like a cheeseburger, i added 1/3 cp crumbled feta. i also omitted the salt, and added double the garam masala because of it. i was a little worried because when i went to flip them 10mins in, the one side that was on the parchment paper was really soggy...lol, naturally, but after the second 10 mins they dried out on the soggy side quite a bit. didn't get fully crispy on that side, but that's ok. they tasted wonderful. i think i will flip them every 5 mins instead, that should help the soggieness.

with the feta cheese,using lean beef, which i believe is 90/10, and not counting the pita the totals came to
    cals-250
    carbs-6
    protien-25
    fat-14

when you add the pita, depending on the kind you get, you can expect to add at least another 120cals, if not more on top.

i had made a quinoa tabbouleh yesterday, and these went perfect with my leftovers.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Looks delish! I will definitely be making this. Anything with/in pita is a winner! haha
  • loveshinesthru
    Options
    bump
  • aalton22
    aalton22 Posts: 4
    Options
    It's an Indian spice. They do sell it in the spice isle at most stores now...getting very popular. Or any indian store it's probably cheeper.
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    just a tip, I had the same problem the first time I made them (soggy).. I now bake them on a rack on a cookie sheet...so they get crisp on both sides.. or pop them on a rack under the broiler for a few, on each side...works great.