WATER!!!

Options
is it true that drinking lots of water throughout the day helps me lose weight? I feel like my muscles are retaining it since I am training pretty hard 5 days a week.........any advice?

Replies

• Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    Ive heard it does yeah funny i've just started drinking water today instead of coffee and if nothing else its great for the skin.
  • lareyna124
    Options
    there are soooo many benfites from drinking water.
    * You stay Hydrated
    *Keep you full = YOu eat less
    *ZERO CALORIES
    * helps rid yourself of toxins

that's just to name a few. DRINK IT UP. I try to drink atleast a gallon a day sometimes a bit more depending on how intense my workouts are!
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    bump
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You do need to drink ENOUGH, but you don't need to drink crazy amounts. The 8 servings of water recommended here are normally what you need, unless you are working out very hard and sweating a lot away.

If you are new to working out, you really may be retaining fluid in your muscles. That's one of the ways your body fights inflammation and tries to heal the mini-tears that occur when you work out hard. But keep in mind that that is temporary. It will go away.

Oddly, if you do not drink enough, your body will retain more water. When I was pregnant I had a lot of trouble with water retention, and the doctor told me to drink more, not less. It seems that once your body realizes you are hydrating it very well and it doesn't need to worry about becoming dehydrated, your cells release some of the water they are hanging on to.

Drink when you are thirsty and a bit beyond that. Also, drink when you are hungry--some of us mistakenly interpret subtle thirst as hunger. If nothing else, it helps put a little something in your tummy and you might eat a little less!
  • Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    I hate water I really really do I can't stand the taste. Even though people say there is no taste and maybe that is why I hate it. I started drinking Nestle Pure Life Lemon Splash it is a naturally fruit flavoured water. There are still 0 calories but there is 50mg of sodium which I hear sodium is not good, but I'm hoping it's not too bad.
  • skipy869
    skipy869 Posts: 1
    Options
    hi just offering advice on ur blog

mucles do retain sum water

but no where near enough for u to feel or notice a diiference in ur muscles

just bit of info people forget that there is water in food and when in the books u read that u shud take in 2 liters a day u dnt have to drink it u also eat it as wel...

hope this help
  • missy_v
    missy_v Posts: 4
    Options
    That's a really good point about how you also eat some of your 'water' requirements.... some food obviously have higher water content so maybe try to incorporate more of those into your diet, e.g. vegetables such as cucumber, celery, lettuce....

A good tip I was given for drinking my water requirement was to sip water as often as possible as if you drink it quickly, you flood your kidneys which will lead to you going to the toilet every five minutes and losing the water that you painstakingly drank!

My understanding of water requirements as well is that the amount of water you require is based on your current weight and build... obviously a 6 foot 5 man is going to require alot more water than a 5 foot woman so be sensible with how much you drink and listen to what your body is telling you as opposed to just drinking a set amount of water each day.
  • karyn2321
    karyn2321 Posts: 18
    Options
    Yes! Water water water! Water is the best solution for all kinds of health issues. 60% of the whole body weight is occupied by water. So it is necessary to drink 5 liters of water / day! Plus it makes your skin amazing! :flowerforyou:
  • finity559
    finity559 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do you think it matters WHEN you drink the water? I work as a parking attendant & have to wait for my bathroom breaks. So instead of drinking water during my work day I wait til I'm home. Also, I drink a lot of Wylers sugarfree drink mix. Is that cosidered water? I always feel like it isn't bcz it has dyes & flavoring. ???
  • izzys1mom
    izzys1mom Posts: 51
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet cokes about a month ago....that and coffee was all I lived on for beverages. I have since started drinking at least 90 oz of water a day and have come to love it (before I would go 6 months without any water because I hated it) The other day after work I felt run down, my body hurt, and I was asleep on the couch by 6:30 and could not figure out why. I realized the next morning that for some reason I had only had 16 oz of water that day. So I made sure to drink all of my water and it was like being a different person! Believe me water really is the "miracle drug" we have all been looking for and it has been right here all along. :)
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Drinking water with flavored stuff is better than not drinking it at all (and is certainly better than a beverage diet that is all caffeinated!), but I really think we are better off with the real deal. Not only because it lessens the amount of "junk" we put in our bodies, but because I find that drinking sweetened beverages all the time increases my cravings for sweets. I guess it's always having that sweet taste in my mouth. So I try to limit the amount of sweetened beverages I drink because it really helps me "stay on the wagon."
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day and I truly think it has helped with my weight loss. It does have many benefits. I for one don't think the flavoured water gives you the same benefits though, like a previous poster said, it's better than drinking juice or pop. It's not hard to drink it once you get into the habit of it.