Anyone ever buy a non-name brand HRM?

Options
I found a place were I can get a HRM for about $7.00 the only thing is that it's not a name brand item. I have no idea if it will be as effective as one that would cost me $100.00 but is says it counts the calories and your heart rate. You have to enter you age, weight and sex in the watch, it also has a stop watch feature, time and calendar. Any thoughts.

Replies

• dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I bought a generic one at Wal-Mart for cheap before I bought my more expensive Polar. I like the generic Wal-Mart one better, but it doesn't talk to the exercise machines at the YMCA. That's the only reason why I bought the Polar monitor.
  • zcosborne86
    Options
    Hi Lori,

I've just brought a £12 one of amazon by a random company. It was delievered today so I'm planning on testing it out this evening whilst doing BMBF, will let you know the outcome!
  • Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    zcosborne86 that's great but I don't know what BMBF is lol

dimoul what Polar did you buy?
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Most people here have Polar FT4 or FT7 types. Everyone seems to adore them and they think the cheap ones are not so good. I think there has to be some difference between the one for 10 and the one for 100 dollars:D
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    Options
    BJ's warehouse has a MIN HRM for sale for $39.99. I plan on buying this one.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I have one that I got on woot.com a couple of years ago. It isn't one of the "big" brands, but I love it.

However, if you get one without a chest strap, it's garbage.
  • Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    I would like to get one with out a chest strap if possible is there any good ones that don't use a chest strap?
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Timex HRM for about $40. The reviews are pretty good on it and it comes with a chest strap!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I bought a non-name brand one with no chest strap and that was my first mistake. It would say I would burn 900 calories when in reality I burned like 300-400. Definitely GET ONE WITH A CHEST STRAP no matter if it is name brand or not. I can tell you from personal experience that the ones without one are innaccurate. They have no way of measuring a CONSTANT heartrate for you every second.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, you don't even feel the chest strap at all while wearing it. I forget I have it on because it doesn't move around.
  • jamamm
    jamamm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a cheaper one my hubby bought me at CVS. It has a watch and pedometer in it as well and I like those features. It seems to be pretty accurate as far as what my heart rate is. I haven't quite figured out the calorie counter on it yet, but I'm happy with the monitor overall.