wrist pain and pushups

Amanda421
Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
i just started the 100 pushup program and i am having wrist and thumb pain on my right. the left is fine. it shoots pain while i am doing push ups and throbs continuosly during the day. it also feels weak. like when i try to hold a pen to write my hand doesnt want to hold it and to put pressure on it hurts. i have had tendonitis on the left in the past- but i thought it was pregnancy related because i was also having numbness. but could i be doing something wrong -form wise- while i am doing push ups. and should i quit doing push ups until the pain goes away? thanks amanda

Replies

• Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Go see your Doctor
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Get pushup bars. They're pretty cheap at wally world.

Standard pushups on the floor are tough on wrists. Pushup bars make it so you can keep your wrists in -line, so you don't hurt them, and give you a greater range of motion.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    If you have dumbbells that don't roll (the hexagon shape ones, know what I mean?) you can try doing push ups on those and see if it helps the pain. Or something similar where your wrist isn't bent at an angle.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    I agree with Keefy. Go see a doctor first to make sure you have not injured it.

After that, go by a fitness store and purchase some push-up bars. They'll keep your wrist aligned straight when doing pushups, and not bent like when doing them the traditional way.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    1st: stop doing the push-ups
    2nd: go see your doctor
    3rd: follow the advice of your doctor
  • I would see your doc, for sure.

I have joint problems and use Yoga Blocks for push ups and floor exercises. They make a huge difference!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,223 Member
    I would go see your doctor.

My fiancee had a simliar issue and his doctor had him stop doing pushups/weight training until the pain went away.

His doctor also suggested that he alternate between an elbow & wrist brace. When he doesn't wear his elbow brace, he wears the wrist brace (only during the day). He also prescribed an anti-inflammatory.
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    100 pushups WOW - that's a lot. Are you soing them consistenly or in sets? Also are they modified? That is a lot of weight on your wrists/hands and don't think anything will curb the pain except for lower reps and modified pushups. Additionally, if you've had challenges before with your wrists, I'm not sure that push ups should be an exercise of choice for you. There are tons of exercises that work the same area's as push up.Safety should be 1st ~ Just my thought's . ;0)
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    @favored1- it is the 100 pushup program. www.hundredpushs.com. i wish i could do 100. ;0)
    i am doing modified push ups in sets. i am still on mastering week one.
    thanks to everyone. i work in a doc's office and am going to ask one today. thanks for the ideas about using level dumbs or bars. that is why i posted the ?...... that idea would have never crossed my mind. i will stop till the pain goes away then try something different.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    A lot of people can't flex their wrist enough to do push ups without overly stressing their wrists. I think a VERY cheap thing to try would be a set of push up bars. These allow you to do pushups without flexing the wrist. They also give a bit more depth, increased range of motion, and bit more intense workout.

If this helps, you will know right away. And, they are cheap.

--Carter
This discussion has been closed.