5'6" and 150 lbs can't seem to make the scale move!

Options
Ok here it is. I am 35, 5'6" and 150 lbs. I can't seem to lose! I am eating mostly whole foods, my quota of water and I run anywhere from 20-30 plus kms a week. And belly dance 4plus hours a week. I used to maintain 125 lbs easily with working out on the elliptical and dance. I cannot seem to budge past 150!

What are your thoughts? Are my expectations unreal?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Make your Food Diary public & I can help :)
  • amycrims
    amycrims Posts: 94
    Options
    You may need to focus on more strength training. If you can build up more muscle, they'll be burning calories double time when you run and do belly-dancing!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Have you tried upping your calories? It sounds backwards, but I lose faster when I eat more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/the-pennsylvania-hillbilly-less-isn-t-always-more-75272
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you and have had the same thoughts. I am 48 years old and down to 184, haven't been this low since I was 18 so I am starting to wonder if age and set point are telling me you're done. If you figure it out I would love to know. However, the way that I work through the frustration with the scale is by telling myself if I am eating right, exercising regularly, etc. I am healthly which is the end reason I started my weight loss journey.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    need to see your diary to be able to really help.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 44, 160 lbs, and want to lose 20 lbs, so I'm sorta the same as far as expectations. I know I'm a little overweight and if I lost 20, I would be smoking hot...but if I lose 10 I will look pretty good, so that's what I'm concentrating on for now. How long have been trying, sometimes it takes time to get the scale to start moving.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This may not apply to you...

I had a very similar thing happening last summer, running 3 times a week, eating right etc. and no real movement weight wise.

Then I gave up Diet Pop. (I had been drinking 1-3 cans most days... my 'treat')

Within 2 weeks the pounds started MELTING off, with far less effort!!!! I lost 10 more pound than my original goal.

There are so many studies why, but that doesn't matter to me.... what matters is that it worked! AND I feel far better!!!

But, you may not be eating or drinking anything with aspartame or synthetic sweeteners.....
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body is used to the exercise you do. You say you run a lot, well, my personal trainer as spoken to me endlessly about the down falls of long steady state cardio. How about trying some HIIT alternated with weight training, it worked for me last year.:smile:
  • cintrinepink
    Options
    My exercise and food report says that i' m not eating enough and that it may cause my metabolism to slow down so you might check that out. If you don't eat enough your body thinks it is starving and throws you into starving mode and your body stops burning calories. Shake things up. Try a different exercise routine and eat a small extra amount and watch your salt intake as that will affect your water retention, plus your moon cycle and last but not least all the emotional baggage that got you to your weight gain in the first place. Think of your body as a high performance race car. They run great for a short time then need a fine tune up. You sound like you are on the right track. Check out "emperors dream for some good nutritional hints.