Clothing Exchange?

Options
I'm betting many of us have clothes that don't fit. Personally I can't afford shopping right now, nor do I want to spend a lot on clothes when I hope to move through a few sizes. In the past I've done fun and successful clothing exchanges with other groups of friends. Seems appropriate to try it here as well. Would anyone be interested? I'm willing to keep a chart of sizes needed and sizes available and hopefully can match people up and we can go from there. Could be as detailed as pictures and descriptions of specific items or just a surprise box of desired size, take what you need and pass the rest on. Open to ideas and suggestions. Feel free to send me email if you don't want to post publicly.

Replies

• caroleeb
    caroleeb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think that's a wonderful idea. I am out of my 16s, thank God. I too plan to keep moving through them and don't want to spend alot.
  • danicajt
    danicajt Posts: 18
    Options
    This is a wonderful idea! I would be interested in this!
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think this is an awesome idea! I just wish I had clothes to give :\
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i am so in...let me know details. my email is larisadixon2@gmail.com yay...awesome idea! I have a bunch of size 18-20 if anyone needs them.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'd be up for this.

I have a gorgeous closet of 4s and 6s that I haven't got into for a few years now. :sad:

Obviously, I am trying to get back into them. But when I do, I hold no illusions that they will all fit the way that they used to fit--some of them will never be worn again.

Similarly, this closet full of 12s is hopefully on its way out!

I've only been working at losing weight for 2 weeks now. But when I have a better sense of what can go and what can stay, I'd be happy to swap or just plain give away to folks who can use it.

And before everyone goes nuts giving things away-consider whether tailoring would work for you. It may enable you to wear some of your 'too big' clothes on the way down.
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    YES!! i have size 4 jeans & a couple size 6 shorts that don't fit anymore. I need size 2s and 0s now!
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    Something else I read on MFP that goes along with this... If you need clothes, but don't want to keep throwing money away on clothes that are just going to fit you for a little while, go to the thrift stores. That's one of the things I'm going to try when I need to keep changing sizes.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    Great Idea..I have been doing this for a month and I have lost 8 lbs as of this morning. It shouldn't b long until I have some to exchange. I LOVE this idea because I too want to lose several sizes! To make it easier on you I wouln't do pics, I mean free clothes people shouldn't be picky. If you get them and the ones you don't like send to goodwill or exchange with someone else if they are in good shape! Let me know where you will have the database located for us to see what sizes are available.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just thought I should also mention that even when I had no weight issue, my girlfriends and I would occasionally get together and swap things. We've all got something that never really fit correctly, or that we bought because it was SUCH a bargain and then never wore. But by then, it was too late to return the item!

So don't discount swapping with people of a similar size, either. Fit is different in different brands and styles.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am interested. I have XL and 1X (16W-20W, depending on brand) clothes that are starting to fall off (especially while working out :blushing: ). I can definitely use size 14/L pants and workout clothes.
  • oEmmyo
    oEmmyo Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm interested as well. I have a ton of clothes that I just put in bag that are from a few years ago. Mostly size 16L jeans and lots of tops that are Large. I know I can fit back in to them in a few months as I lose weight, but I would rather get stuff that's new to me :P
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    Glad to see some interest here! I agree trading with same size people can be fun too. What someone else is tired of will still be new to me :)

Trying to think of the simplest way to organize info right here on this thread so don't want to require outside email or address info openly where everyone can see it. If those interested can send a message here on the site with the size they have to give, the size they need, and any type of clothing in particular that they need I can put it all together into one post by size so it is easy to see and bump the post daily. Then people can make their own connections based on seeing who has what you want or who is looking for what you have to share, and work out details with each other privately. If items are no longer available let me know to remove from list. Sound like a plan?
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    that sounds good. I was thinking the pics would b too much work for u. I say list the size and type of clothes (ex..summer/winter, pants/shorts, skirts/dresses u get the idea) and the persons username so it will b easy for u to keep up with. I was so excited seeing ur idea I talked to DH about it today!! I hope I have something to give and need soon.