How Do You Lose Body Fat?

Options

Replies

• terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments about low weight high reps is best for building lean muscles. Also, muscles helps burn fat so it is a good idea to start strength training. You won't get bulky from it because women don't have enough testerone in their body for that.

I'm a beachbody fan, so if you are looking for an at home workout check out P90X (that is what I am currently doing) or Power 90. I started with 5 - 8 lb weights for every exercise and I am now using 10 - 15 lbs and 20 lbs on some of the back exercises. I'm on week 7.

I'm keeping it short because I'm in agreement with a majority of the advice in this post thus far. Good Luck!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Would Insanity be considered a strength building workout? Or would you strickly suggest lifting weights?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Ok I see you are mentioning HEART RATE. I have my max heart rate set at 182. My heart rate when exercising is normally between 150-170. Does this sound like I have it set correctly? I have the Polar FT4.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    150-170 is good your in the stage where you are working your cardiovasicular system and since you said your only going for 15 minutes that is a nice place to be, you start doing 30min+ eat a bananna/apple/orange/ect about 15 mins before you start so your body uses that + fat to run itself
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    150-170 is good your in the stage where you are working your cardiovasicular system and since you said your only going for 15 minutes that is a nice place to be, you start doing 30min+ eat a bananna/apple/orange/ect about 15 mins before you start so your body uses that + fat to run itself

Ok Thanks.

Now I do the shred in the morning (4:30am) on an empty stomach. It makes my tummy hurt to eat that early but I do have my lemon water. I eat between 6:30-7am Mon thru Fri
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Ok I see you are mentioning HEART RATE. I have my max heart rate set at 182. My heart rate when exercising is normally between 150-170. Does this sound like I have it set correctly? I have the Polar FT4.

It sounds like it and if it is a polar it should have a chest strap.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Im also 5'11 and at the min im 225lbs (no idea about fat %) I'll worry about that when im at my goal weight of 176lbs (ish) Im just concentrating on fitness and healthy eating, Sticking to my calories, cardio work out 5/6 times a week and strenght training 3/4 times a week. I'll start worrying about fat percentage late and the min I just want the weight off.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

It sounds like it and if it is a polar it should have a chest strap.
    Yep I have a chest strap. Thanks for the help.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that you do that puts your heart in the "fat burning zone" will help burn fat. Use a heart rate monitor if you don't have one. Working out too hard or too easy, although will burn calories, but will not burn as much fat as if you are in the zone.

Light weights with lots of reps will get you NOWHERE fast! You will NOT bulk up lifting heavy weights. Use heavy enough weights that you REALLY feel the burn and struggle with that last 2 - 3 reps. Shoot for 8 - 12 reps. You will build some muscle. But, muscle helps you firm up and burn more calories even when at rest. If you are eating at a calorie defecit, you can't bulk up.

I agree with this. Never mind the old school way of thinking light weight lots of reps! You will not "bulk up" by challenging yourself to lift heavier weights!
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Here is what you do.

1. find out your maintenance calories
    2. Eat at a calorie deficit. (3500 calories = 1 lbs) or 500 calorie deficit a day = 1 lb per week loss
    3. Do 5-6 days a week resistance training followed by cardio and 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach is best.
    4. Walk at a brisk pace 3 nights a week for 20-30 minutes.
    5. Eat 5-6 small meals about
    6. Drink 1/2 your body weight in water
    7. Get rid of all processed foods, white sugars, breads, junk foods, all sodas and crap. Clean up your diet right away.

This should get you started. Add me as a friend for more help.

I think this is good advice....only #6 has me stumped. I am guessing that means to drink that many ounces of water??
    Also clean eating is essential. cut out the junk,,,,eat more protein and lastly once you figure out what your maintenance calories are it is very important to "eat back" your workout calories. If not (this happened to me) your scale will not move!
    Good luck!
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Yeah they meant 1/2 your weight in ounces.

I drink 128oz a day so thats over half for me. I eat as clean as possible.No can goods, no processed meats, no candy, no sodas, and cakes. I look at food as fuel now and not my own little private party.

I've been losing weight pretty good. My nutritionist give me a calorie window of 1400 to 1700 calories a day. If my weight ever starts to slow we will make adjustments. I eat 4 oz of protein in every meal. I even make sure my snacks have protein.

I believe my diary is open. Anyone can check it and make suggestions.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    bump:)
  • meljean30
    meljean30 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi!

Im in your boat..but i have done so much reading and learning about this subject.. Ive lost just close to 90 lbs.. ( of fat! ) and the first thing i want to tell you is DO NOT LOOK AT THE BODYFAT % ON THE SCALE. go get yourself a pair of fat calipers. 10-15 bucks at GNC. you can get a real idea with your frame, etc.... or have your dr do a water test.. they are the most accurate.

As far as lifting weights, the high reps, low weight, is kinda up in debate. From experience, and from alot of reading.. lift until COMPLETe failure.. at NO MORE THAN 12-15 reps. and the last 3 should be very hard.. IF you want to get a little swollen, stop at 6-8.. with the last 3 being so hard! if I curl freeweights, and try to max at 6 .. i can curl 30 ish lbs. !!! each arm!! i like to stick with 20's AND i love resistance bands!!.. BURN BURN BURN!! I personaly like to do a week of lighter weight training.. and a week of heavy.. back and forth.. the key is never to let your body adjust to what you are doing..

Lets say a few weeks past, and your sure your not cheating on the food. and your burning at least 500 calories a day, and eating within your budget.. Have some tests done at the DR's if they tell you just to try harder and are not willing to help.. then leave.. and find a better DR!! There is no time to waste when it comes to uncovering our beautiful bodys just dying to get out from under the cover!!!! :)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    *Facepalm* on the low weight, high reps. 80% of fat loss is going to be your diet.

I'm stealing this from another site:

best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.
    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.
  • Queenprell03
    Options
    bump
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    First off, the whole idea about low weight/high rep will build lean muscle is total BS! All muscle is lean mass. The most effective way to build muscle is high weight/low rep.

Also, this is pretty straight forward on how t lose fat: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=401681611#post401681611
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I am doing mostly strength training exercise right now. I had a trainer give me a workout routine. I do know that you want to do lower weights with more reps.
  • normarubio
    Options
    Why is it so important to eat back your workout calories. Maybe thats why my scale hasn't moved .