How do you calculate calories in soup?

Options
My friend made this delicious chicken soup with a whole bunch of ingredients. I didn't eat the chicken or any other stuff in there just had a bowl of soup. How do I know how many calories are there in the soup?

Replies

• sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just find a chicken soup in the database that looks about right.
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    Maybe just chicken broth?
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    Find something in the database that looks right. I always OVER estimate calories when I have to guess. I figure it is better to over estimate than under estimate.
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can get close by putting in the ingredients in to the data base, you go to the Food tab and select Recipe from the blue band.
  • MizSpock
    MizSpock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster who said since you didn't eat anything other than the broth, I would just look up Chicken Broth.

Could you ask your friend if s/he used a prepared broth or if it was completely homemade? I'm sure there are wide differences there.

Also, I love the Recipe calculator tool in the "Food" section. I use it all the time for my home made stuff. It takes a bit longer up front than adding the portions directly to the diary, but you only have to do it once, and then it's saved for the next time you make that recipe.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    MFP has a GREAT recipe tool in the food area, click on the recipe tab then enter how many people it serves and what ingredients you put into it. It will give you the nutritional data on your creation and save it for you too!
  • newuser111
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll log it as chicken broth. :smile:

In general, is there a formula or something to estimate the calories in any homemade stock / broth? The recipe calculator tool will give us the total calories, including those from the solid ingredients, but when we only consume only the broth, how do we (deduct the calories from the ingredients) and know how much calories goes into the broth? ......... hope I'm explaining this correctly.... :embarassed: