calories burned

Options
when you type in your exersize on a treadmill, eliptical, or bike do you write in your log what the machine says the calories you burned, or the amount mfp says? Fore me, mfp says more than what the machine says- but the machine doesnt know how much i weigh, and i usually choose "manual" and dont track my heart rate on the machine.

when i was thinking of buying a heart rate monitor- someone else on here told me mfp is really accurate... im just wondering if any one else has any thoughts...

thanks!

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i bought a HRM and was amazed at the difference between it and the gym equipment, i think the MFP stuff is added by users
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hmm Id like to know too. Was wondering that myself.
  • reslere
    reslere Posts: 7
    Options
    I was taught to consider one mile equal to 100 calories.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use what MFP says, its easier.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I input my info into the machine so it gives me a more accurate number. In your case, I'd go with what MFP says since the system has all your information.
  • MissAllison
    Options
    I recently started using a HRM and found that MFP typically over-estimates calories burned, for me (and I work out at a moderate to high intensity). Even the machines tend to over-estimate compared to my HRM by about 20-40 cals. Again, this is for me - your numbers could be different. Before the HRM, I entered my info on the machine at the gym, tracked my HR periodically on the machine, and used that number - it was still usually lower than the MFP estimate.